OP
shadow_k

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my fish like the reef candy. All my lps do as well. See, all coral are different and fish included. You just have to find what they like.
They like these small .5mm pellets that’s all they will eat kills me cause I have to feed them through a Turku baster

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know exactly how that goes. I had fish like that. They were fresh water though. The moment my syringe hits the water with roids or candy I get fish swarming. Firefish, scopa, clownfish, the butterfly just kind of waits and the wrasse sits by the lps waiting. He knows where to go.

I started to feed my bta the reef candy. He loves that stuff. Also, it's a lot cheaper than the roids.

OP
OP
shadow_k

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know exactly how that goes. I had fish like that. They were fresh water though. The moment my syringe hits the water with roids or candy I get fish swarming. Firefish, scopa, clownfish, the butterfly just kind of waits and the wrasse sits by the lps waiting. He knows where to go.

I started to feed my bta the reef candy. He loves that stuff. Also, it's a lot cheaper than the roids.
I wish I can feed more , now I might have to turn my middle chamber into a refugium

OP
OP
shadow_k

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you stopped feeding the coral what would happen to your phosphate? Have you tried that?
I haven’t fed coral in 2 weeks to battle high phosphates. It’s working but slowly. It went from 1.08 to .50 in 2 weeks nitrates are finally at 10. Lack of algae is scaring me a bit

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I haven’t fed coral in 2 weeks to battle high phosphates. It’s working but slowly. It went from 1.08 to .50 in 2 weeks nitrates are finally at 10. Lack of algae is scaring me a bit
no need to be scared, something else is using it. Do you have actual live rock, or cycled dry rock?

OP
OP
shadow_k

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no need to be scared, something else is using it. Do you have actual live rock, or cycled dry rock?
I started from dry rock since January I have been using the same rock.
Hows coraline looking?
it’s almost done covering my nero3 but still a bunch of spots on my rocks my snails and crab shells are covere

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started from dry rock since January I have been using the same rock.

it’s almost done covering my nero3 but still a bunch of spots on my rocks my snails and crab shells are covere
Can you take a picture of your rock where you dont have coraline?
Very fine line we walk in new system while we break surfaces in. Too much to fast will tip scales out of your favor.
10 nitrates is not bad. Im running mine closer to 5.
I wouldnt put anything else as far as supplements in the tank.
Also I just switched from reef roids to reef pro zooper food a and b as it has 0 phosphates in it.

OP
OP
shadow_k

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you take a picture of your rock where you dont have coraline?
Very fine line we walk in new system while we break surfaces in. Too much to fast will tip scales out of your favor.
10 nitrates is not bad. Im running mine closer to 5.
I wouldnt put anything else as far as supplements in the tank.
Also I just switched from reef roids to reef pro zooper food a and b as it has 0 phosphates in it.
Absolutely ill take some pictures after work today. My nitrates were usually 5 even after dosing neo nitro. Just trying flower phosphates to an okay level maybe .1 or .05 but nothing lowet then that. I won’t add anything yet but my lfs is giving it to me free so I won’t say no

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely ill take some pictures after work today. My nitrates were usually 5 even after dosing neo nitro. Just trying flower phosphates to an okay level maybe .1 or .05 but nothing lowet then that. I won’t add anything yet but my lfs is giving it to me free so I won’t say no
Right on. To be honest I'm just geeking out to see the color of your rock where surfaces aren't covered with coraline yet hahaha.
What im seeing is algal films will begin to cover those surfaces before certain coralines will attach to it. Im trying to base my nutrients levels on how fast and far I need to push to keep that balance of pretty algal film on rock before it gets crazy and algae grow instead of coraline. We need the nutrients in there but im not sure how much. Lol thats the fine line im reffering to. Im guessing you have a nice clean green sheen on rock.

OP
OP
shadow_k

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right on. To be honest I'm just geeking out to see the color of your rock where surfaces aren't covered with coraline yet hahaha.
What im seeing is algal films will begin to cover those surfaces before certain coralines will attach to it. Im trying to base my nutrients levels on how fast and far I need to push to keep that balance of pretty algal film on rock before it gets crazy and algae grow instead of coraline. We need the nutrients in there but im not sure how much. Lol thats the fine line im reffering to. Im guessing you have a nice clean green sheen on rock.
Here’s a pic of one of my rocks also here’s a video of my tank

Attachments

• 81A5BF0D-FA80-45BF-884C-9C5ACB80D13A.jpeg
    81A5BF0D-FA80-45BF-884C-9C5ACB80D13A.jpeg
    266.5 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
shadow_k

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice color on that rock! Looking really good id stay on par for the course you described.
Have you noticed a big increase in coraline growth since clean up?
Oh absolutely almost immediately after clean up I had coralline show up.
LRT was right, nothing wrong with that though. My rock looks like that, and it is alive. Although now with new lights, coraline algae can grow.
I do have 1 rock that’s more established then the rest. It has my zoa colony on it

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh absolutely almost immediately after clean up I had coralline show up.

I do have 1 rock that’s more established then the rest. It has my zoa colony on it
Excellent. That was going to be my next question:) If your seeing it show up on rocks mostly around where corals are attached to them?

OP
OP
shadow_k

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent. That was going to be my next question:) If your seeing it show up on rocks mostly around where corals are attached to them?
Yes ! I actually got some on my front glass as well ,

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 116 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back