JBJ 20 gallon sprung a leak- fixable?

vessxpress1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had my JBJ 20 gallon frag tank up for 11 months. When I checked on it last Sunday I had drips coming out of the bottom seal all along the left side. Just out of nowhere. No leak before. I wiped the water off and you could see the water migrating across the stand as soon as I wiped it off. So relaxing Sunday went to emergency mode figuring out what to do. Luckily I caught it early and a friend of mine had a spare 20 gallon that I got from him and had everything transferred over and set up within 4 hours. Now the JBJ is empty and dry on the floor. I really like the footprint of this tank and I'm set up for this specific tank. What should I do? I wrote JBJ and they ignored it. Should I try to find the leak and fix it? Redo all of the caulk? Pitch it? It just seems with the rear chambers it's going to be very difficult to be sure the caulking is done well along the bottom but maybe it's doable. I don't even care how it looks as it's just a frag tank, not a show tank. I'm very surprised that it started leaking out of the blue. There's only about 8" of water in it when full. I leveled the stand and the tank was a on a good piece of foam. Didn't make a difference. Worth trying to fix and what caulk should I use?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you positive it is leaking and the water didn't find its way out another way (I've been there)? If this is an aio tank I would remove the rear chambers and replace all of the silicone

OP
OP
vessxpress1

vessxpress1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know what else it could have been coming from. I’m going to clean it up and leak test it soon.

OP
OP
vessxpress1

vessxpress1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know what else it could have been coming from. I’m going to clean it up and leak test it soon.
Started cleaning it tonight. The seam next to the overflow chamber has a drip with only a half an inch of vinegar in the bottom. This spot sees no cleaning and has the least going on. No obvious issues with the silicone. There's silicone inside and along the bottom.

OP
OP
vessxpress1

vessxpress1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it normal to have a 4.88 mm air gap between the glass?! This is where it was leaking and I could see the silicone had pulled away from the glass. I cut out this section and was amazed at how much silicone I was relying on. The back glass doesn’t butt up to the end of this piece either. It has curved glass corners in the front so if they don’t come out of the curve at a 90 it’s a bad angle at the back. I had a custom top made and it didn’t fit worth a crap because the dimensions were off. I don’t know if somebody did this or if they come from the factory like this but it was new when I got it.
How much silicone will I have to do to try to fix? I want to do this whole side but worried about where it meets. Any way to make sure there’s a bond?

217D4011-5E7C-4411-A9B3-5A29EDADF6C9.jpeg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back