JBJ 28 gal Nano cube wifi connected 3 color LED canopy. HELP

PrincessNatkins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey!
I would really appreciate your help! I just got the JBJ replacement hood for my 28gal nano cube. It has a 3-color LED canopy that I can program different lights to turn on throughout the day. It did not come with instructions. I got it all turned on and installed but, I am not sure what lights I should have come on in what % at the different times of day. my choices are white, red and blue from 0%-100%. I currently have a few Chromis and a Diamond Gobi, but would like to eventually get some zoos, stars and Xenas. Is there a basic lighting profile I can use to program my tank and make adjustments as my tank grows and changes? ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, welcome to Reef2Reef!
welcome 2.jpg

A bit more info might be helpful. OK 28g JBJ nano tank. Is the 'replacement hood/fixture like the original? Do you have a link so we can see the fixture online without having to do research ourselves to try and help? How may of each color leds are there? Do you know the wattage or how many total watts the fixture is using at 100% power?

OK, IMHO, odd are these aren't the strongest leds around. Is this the JBJ 'Intermediate' led (25 leds at 1 watt) or the 'Professional' led (25 leds at 3 watts)? Most stock nano fixture are less then top performers. The Intermediate kind of falls into that category in my estimation. Your fish and other livestock (other than photosynthetic 'stuff' really don't care much about how bright or what spectrum the light is. Algae likes red, so I'd recommend using less of it and the white light will have red included anyway. Corals and most anemones use blue spectrum more than anything to do photosynthesis (terrestrial plants use more red/yellow spectrum). Most reefers with leds run their blue leds at 2 or even 3 times as intense as their white. That's assuming you have an equal (or close to equal) number of white and blue leds). If you have the Intermediate, I'd run it at 100% blue and at least 50% white. If you have the Professional I'd suggest 75 to 100% blue and 25 to 50% white.

Here is a link to more about the JBJ 28g nano:
http://www.jbjlighting.com/prod-28g-nano-led.html

OP
OP
P

PrincessNatkins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ron Reefman, thanks for the response.

Before getting these lights I was having a problem with Cynobacteria so I will def lower the amount of red light I have on. Attached are some pictures of what I am looking at. When I open the app I can choose the % of how much White, Red and blue light to put on. (screen shot attached) I can then set the time for the light to change and the percentage of each light to be on. (screen shot attached) You will see the lighting profile I currently have set up for the tank. Across the line you will see the time the light will change then %of white light on/ % of red light on/ %of blue light on. So you will see at 8am I have 0% white light, 19% red light and 12% blue light. I can program up to 10 light commands. I tried to simulate morning, afternoon and evening. My end goal would be able to put 1 more fish in the tank, but really to be able to add some color with corals. I have had zoos, stars and Xenas in the past and would probably start there. I don't want to start getting corals if my lights are just going to kill them or not help them thrive.

I appreciate all the help and advice!

FullSizeRender-1.jpeg

FullSizeRender.jpeg

High ICP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey!
I would really appreciate your help! I just got the JBJ replacement hood for my 28gal nano cube. It has a 3-color LED canopy that I can program different lights to turn on throughout the day. It did not come with instructions. I got it all turned on and installed but, I am not sure what lights I should have come on in what % at the different times of day. my choices are white, red and blue from 0%-100%. I currently have a few Chromis and a Diamond Gobi, but would like to eventually get some zoos, stars and Xenas. Is there a basic lighting profile I can use to program my tank and make adjustments as my tank grows and changes? ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!

I would take out all the JBJ junk

And replace with Nano Box

https://nanobox-reef.myshopify.com/collections/nanobox-retro-kits/products/nanobox-retro-kit

There’s a couple of videos on replacing and retrofitting the lights at bottom if the page

High ICP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ps

That curved glass has a lot of stored energy in it.

They have a tendency to crack. Mine cracked without water in it. I got a new tank replacement. Then sold the whole kit to a guy who’s JBJ also cracked(with water).

My thinking at the time when I bought it was there are two less seams to leak so it’s safer than a siliconed tank

daveCB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nano box is out of business. The link above is dead.

As for my experience with JBJ, It has been extremely positive. No cracked tanks; no issues. I did supplement my lighting with additional blue and white strips and added that to the control.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nano box is out of business. The link above is dead.

As for my experience with JBJ, It has been extremely positive. No cracked tanks; no issues. I did supplement my lighting with additional blue and white strips and added that to the control.

sad....
nano.JPG

patreek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ron Reefman, thanks for the response.

Before getting these lights I was having a problem with Cynobacteria so I will def lower the amount of red light I have on. Attached are some pictures of what I am looking at. When I open the app I can choose the % of how much White, Red and blue light to put on. (screen shot attached) I can then set the time for the light to change and the percentage of each light to be on. (screen shot attached) You will see the lighting profile I currently have set up for the tank. Across the line you will see the time the light will change then %of white light on/ % of red light on/ %of blue light on. So you will see at 8am I have 0% white light, 19% red light and 12% blue light. I can program up to 10 light commands. I tried to simulate morning, afternoon and evening. My end goal would be able to put 1 more fish in the tank, but really to be able to add some color with corals. I have had zoos, stars and Xenas in the past and would probably start there. I don't want to start getting corals if my lights are just going to kill them or not help them thrive.

I appreciate all the help and advice!

FullSizeRender-1.jpeg

FullSizeRender.jpeg
I just purchased a 28 gal with WiFi. The only way to connect the lights to the WiFi is to disconnect my phone from the WiFi. So if my phones connected to the WiFi, the tank lights will not turn on or off via the app. Not sure what I’m doing wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a 28 gal with WiFi. The only way to connect the lights to the WiFi is to disconnect my phone from the WiFi. So if my phones connected to the WiFi, the tank lights will not turn on or off via the app. Not sure what I’m doing wrong. Any help would be appreciated.
You connect to the wifi controller, set up all your timers and levels and then press ‘start’, and then you can disconnect from the Wifi, and the little controller stores and runs whatever schedule you set up.

Mkus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ps

That curved glass has a lot of stored energy in it.

They have a tendency to crack. Mine cracked without water in it. I got a new tank replacement. Then sold the whole kit to a guy who’s JBJ also cracked(with water).

My thinking at the time when I bought it was there are two less seams to leak so it’s safer than a siliconed tank
You must of just had a bad tank my 24 has been set up for 4 years no problems I ditched the lights for a AI prime and made a glass canopy..

A6310037-02C3-4B2F-8BAE-68F113A8BBEB.png

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back