JBJ 28g NanoCube CF - Your Expertise & Ideas Needed!!

DeepBlueSomething

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy All!

I just came across a great deal on a 28g NanoCube CF -- This tank is an older model. But I am hoping with some TLC it can have some glory days left. I don't have much AIO or Nano tank experience. I am currently running a 40b with a sump, so I am aware this will be a totally different experience. Below is the link to the manual for what I believe to be the same model. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0803/4991/files/28gNanoCFManual.pdf?16831493008694178020

What would I like this tank to be? Secondary mixed reef. Ok with softies, LPS as a focus. Clown, shrimp or inverts. I less stressful place to add livestock and corals without freaking out about perfection and balance. A bit of a sandbox to experiment or enjoy with some freedom. But - I want it to be health and maintained.

What I have:
  • Tank (glass, etc in good shape)
  • Lid:
    • Compact Fluorescent bulb intact (haven't tested yet)
    • 4 Moonlight LEDs (missing adapter)
What I need -- and I am totally open to the best and / or economical way to bring this tank up. I would appreciate ideas on both ends.
  • Everything else!
  • Two return pumps (From the manual, what was originally included was: Submersible Pumps: Included with flexible hose and elbow connector. (2) Accela SP1-1000 Pumps Rated at 266 gph)
  • Heater
  • Filtration / skimmer / basket media?
    • Mini Chaeto fuge with LED strips mounted to the outside?
  • New lights -- LEDs? Ditch the top and go topless.
As I said, I am totally open to thoughts, ideas and input to make the most out of this need opportunity and would greatly appreciate the experience and advise of you all!

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard of many people retrofitting LED's into the AIO lids. I have never had one so I have no clue there, but you could try doing a search.

Another thing to consider, if you want to keep the display open and free of power heads is the new technologies coming out with the return nozzle kits that create randomized flow (with enough pressure from a return pump that is.. I know one of these is the RFG (random flow generator) might be worth checking out. I bought 4 and am waiting to setup my tanks to try them out.

Filtration on a tank that size, I would keep simple. Some live rock rubble, bacteria in a bottle, and water changes :). That way it can be easily restarted or adjusted as your "sandbox system".

smileyjoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took my hood off and added a AI Prime and love it. I'm also running a Aquamaxx HOB-1. you could also make it sinless once you take the hood off if you want.

OP
OP
DeepBlueSomething

DeepBlueSomething

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took my hood off and added a AI Prime and love it. I'm also running a Aquamaxx HOB-1. you could also make it sinless once you take the hood off if you want.

@smileyjoe Thanks. Could you share a photo or two? What size pumps are you running in the back and where do you have your HOB? I am leaning more towards a setup without a lid I think.

levi83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this tank. I pulled the top rim off and put a Hamilton Bimini MH 150 on it. I do weekly 4 gallon water changes and have nothing in the media basket. It gets along just fine with lps and 10 small rbta’s in it.

levi83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics of process. Got rid of the hydra cause I couldn’t get anything to grow with it.
FFBE3596-041C-40B0-B705-30E7C9BDB90C.jpeg
85EAF514-A141-4D78-8B85-60FA29CBE516.jpeg
5E01C580-DD92-4F2A-BC98-AA168C11021E.jpeg

OP
OP
DeepBlueSomething

DeepBlueSomething

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@levi83 and @smileyjoe
I need to buy a pair of return pumps -- what are you all running and what is your experience?
Looking at the below -- which is rated slightly lower than the 266gph or going with the recommended Acella S-1000. Worried about the Rio not fitting. Thoughts?
Rio Plus 600 Aqua Pump - 200 GPH

smileyjoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are stock return pumps and I'm only running one.

smileyjoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
DeepBlueSomething

DeepBlueSomething

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current offering is the 1.5 which is going for $230. Will have to look around nd for any of the 1.0 - but you are pleased still which is a good song go.
Thanks!

cajunreef985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in the same boat ... jbj 28g CF... abandoning the hood lights off rip...going kessil A160. my questions are more for the filtration side; cant wait to hear and see what you decide. PM sent as well

Back