JBJ 30GL AIO Questions - Max Overflow Rate - Return pump upgrade - media basket

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a JBJ 30GL AIO which has dual overflows and 2 returns. I bought it used and currently am using one Maxijet 1200 as the return pump to one of 2 returns. I would like to upgrade the pump to a higher GPH rating and either leave it connected to just one return or add a Y and have it split the return. I have looked online and have not been able to determine the MAX GPH rating for this tank. I did temporarily added a 2nd Maxijet 1200 pump for about 30 minutes (they are rated for 295gph at 0 back pressure). It looked like it would cause the tank to overflow after an extended period of time so I shut it down. I assume the answer for omax overflow is probably around 350gph for max overflow but was wondering if anyone knows. Also, I am wondering what others are using for a return pump.

Also, the overflows each have a 3 chamber box. The only media I am using 7x24 is polyfilter floss that I replace every week.

I am battling a constant algae issue with this particular tank and feel like part of the problem is the filtration with maybe not enough flow going through the overflow.

I do have (2) circulation pumps in the tank as well and a Tunze internal skimmer. It seems to do the job from a skimmer perspective.

So I am wondering what others that have this tank or similar size AIO use for filtration and return pump configurations..

Thanks

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest a big dc pump that will fit into the chamber, then you can tweak the flow to suit the need. Do you have an adjustable wier/ comb on the overflow?
If it was me I would be replacing the floss more regulary, as the dirtier it gets the slower the flow through it.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the pipe size on the overflows?

Any chance we could get some pictures?

Edit: Oh, it's an all in one. Pics might still help. You likely can't fit a return pump in there.

OP
OP
J

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the pipe size on the overflows?
JBJ RimlessTank filter-500x500.png
JBJ media.jpg

Any chance we could get some pictures?

Edit: Oh, it's an all in one. Pics might still help. You likely can't fit a return pump in there.
I am not home at the moment but here are some pictures that show the configuration. Size is approximately 3" x 5" front to back for the filter chambers. The center chamber is where the return pump sits and I would estimate the front to back dimension is 4" and probably have about 6" in width. so let's call it 4" x 6" spacing for the return pump(s). I also attached a picture of the media baskets. One on each side. I only use floss in the top chamber at the moment. No need for the ceramic media as I obviously have live rock, etc.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dual Sicce pumps should fit and they are adjustable to whatever works flow wise. Max flow on the 0.5 is 185 GPH and the 1.0 is 251 GPH. Both adjustable so you can tweek it to where you need it to be. You could also step up to one 1.5. Bulk Reef supply has a handy chart on Sicce pumps if you scroll down. Sicce's are bullet proof pumps and they fit the small spaces of nanos VERY well.

To add, you are probably correct in your assumption the max flow is around 350 GPH. It might even be less than that, at 350 GPH you are pushing more than 10 times the volume of the tank per hour through the sump section. Which is a TON of flow for filtration.

OP
OP
J

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dual Sicce pumps should fit and they are adjustable to whatever works flow wise. Max flow on the 0.5 is 185 GPH and the 1.0 is 251 GPH. Both adjustable so you can tweek it to where you need it to be. You could also step up to one 1.5. Bulk Reef supply has a handy chart on Sicce pumps if you scroll down. Sicce's are bullet proof pumps and they fit the small spaces of nanos VERY well.

To add, you are probably correct in your assumption the max flow is around 350 GPH. It might even be less than that, at 350 GPH you are pushing more than 10 times the volume of the tank per hour through the sump section. Which is a TON of flow for filtration.
Hi JoshH. Thanks for the insight. Looks like the Sicce 1.5 is 357gph which gets me where I need to be, and then dial it down accordingly. Other than that, both the Sicce and Maxijet loose output on head pressure. In my case probably about only 18". Do you think head pressure loss is similar between the two models for such a small amount?

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi JoshH. Thanks for the insight. Looks like the Sicce 1.5 is 357gph which gets me where I need to be, and then dial it down accordingly. Other than that, both the Sicce and Maxijet loose output on head pressure. In my case probably about only 18". Do you think head pressure loss is similar between the two models for such a small amount?

Probably slightly less HP loss on the Sicce, but it would be similar. All pumps will have HP loss no matter what brand, it's just how it is. I ran Sicce 0.5's on my two Nuvo 10's and they were great. Just one option of the MANY out there. I can't speak for other small pumps as I have only used Sicce's.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back