OP
OP
punkieg0

punkieg0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my tank yesterday and am getting it setup now. How high to do have your water level? First time using an ATO so trying to get everything figured out.
Which ATO did you get? That’s on my list for the future.
The instructions said to put enough water in for it go through the overflow and as soon as I turned the pumps on the level in the DT went up and down in the sump. I am cycling without anything in the chambers so it sounded a bit like a waterfall so I added a little more water. Once I add my filter floss I should be able to have more flexibility for that.

OP
OP
punkieg0

punkieg0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's the tank looking now?
It’s looking good! Water has cleared up and now I’m just ghost feeding each morning. Hope to see it cycled by end of October or so. Stocking list is ready and I am researching corals that I want to try.

1B474FBF-3DE9-4F9B-9A38-C079AEABDEA1.jpeg

OP
OP
punkieg0

punkieg0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 weeks into the cycle I have ammonia present and I am testing every few days to make sure things are moving along. Hard to not want to rush things at this point. I go out of town next week so I am hoping it will be close to complete when I return. So excited to get fish in here!
I purchased an RODI unit from BRS last week and got that up and running last night as well so I am ready to get going!

Last edited:
OP
OP
punkieg0

punkieg0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered some BioSpira this morning to add to the tank to keep everything going but I feel I am on the right track. Over the next few weeks I will order 1 InTank media basket and 1 for filter floss only. Trying to decide what else I want to do for media though- so many options and opinions out there.

I have some ceramic media in my canister filter now that I was thinking of moving over to this tank before I break that one down. I also purchased Rox .08 as well. Does that seem like a good start?

I was kicking around adding GFO at some point but I am not sure on that just yet. ATO might be in my future as well now that I can see how much evaporation this tank has.

I will also be setting up my QT tank today so it can cycle and be ready once this tank is good to go.
Hard to just watch an empty tank :) I haven't seen any signs of any of the ugly stages yet, but I am sure I will get there at some point.

OP
OP
punkieg0

punkieg0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you going to reefapalloza Chicago next weekend?
no! I will be driving past it though- bummer. I made plans to go to MI for the weekend so I will be missing it. I do think I will make it next year though.

guy host

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
started a 50 gallon waterbox last yr in June so know what your going though. # 1 thing is patiences

OP
OP
punkieg0

punkieg0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
started a 50 gallon waterbox last yr in June so know what your going though. # 1 thing is patiences
Yes! I am trying to do things step by step and ordering what I need in stages so it makes it easier to just wait it out :) It is the one piece of advice I see over and over!

I had a 75 gallon that I started in January and I think I jumped in way over my head without much information and it went poorly. Which is why I am starting over- doing things the right way this time. The 75 will be broken down once this tank is up and running. I have 2 fish that will be moving into the new tank- a diamond goby and filefish.

OP
OP
punkieg0

punkieg0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is cycled!! Tested with 2 different test kits. Doing a water change today or tomorrow & a clownfish pair will be added on Thursday I think.
Wahoo! Time to order my InTank media basket today and get that ready to add in as well.

OP
OP
punkieg0

punkieg0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't updated my build in a while. Things are going swimmingly (see what I did there?;)) I have a pair of clownfish that have been happy little guys for a few months now. Only fish that made it from my old 75 gallon tank is Fred the Filefish. I am going to be adding in a cleaner shimp tomorrow night and hope to start adding some more fish in soon.
I have a Tailspot Blenny on order and I am going to try a Flame Hawkfish. I have seen a lot of mixed results with hawkfish and shrimp, but most successful reefers said let the shrimp get established first so that is the plan. Stay tuned :)

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't updated my build in a while. Things are going swimmingly (see what I did there?;)) I have a pair of clownfish that have been happy little guys for a few months now. Only fish that made it from my old 75 gallon tank is Fred the Filefish. I am going to be adding in a cleaner shimp tomorrow night and hope to start adding some more fish in soon.
I have a Tailspot Blenny on order and I am going to try a Flame Hawkfish. I have seen a lot of mixed results with hawkfish and shrimp, but most successful reefers said let the shrimp get established first so that is the plan. Stay tuned :)
I also have the Jbj 45... great tank. I’m running a lot more in the back then the marine depot video though ;)

FDC06F66-08A1-4217-A132-06D82223E865.jpeg E9935260-27D1-4984-85A2-B888A24EB7DF.jpeg A7791284-074B-429E-A7D4-ECC4B5CAD47E.jpeg

OP
OP
punkieg0

punkieg0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have the Jbj 45... great tank. I’m running a lot more in the back then the marine depot video though ;)

FDC06F66-08A1-4217-A132-06D82223E865.jpeg E9935260-27D1-4984-85A2-B888A24EB7DF.jpeg A7791284-074B-429E-A7D4-ECC4B5CAD47E.jpeg
What are you all running? You said GFO, looks like dosing pumps back there. I only have my skimmer and in the Intank media basket I have some carbon. But that's all I have at the moment. I will be starting to get coral soon however.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you all running? You said GFO, looks like dosing pumps back there. I only have my skimmer and in the Intank media basket I have some carbon. But that's all I have at the moment. I will be starting to get coral soon however.
Lol it’s a lot back there. Floss, two bags of purigen, 11 w up sterilizer, carbon reactor, gfo reactor, upgraded returns giving be about 800gph, apex atk, tunze 9004 skimmer, diy cheato reactor, heater, apex probes, mangrove, and dosing carbon, alkalinity, magnesium, and acropower. In the stand is my apex setup, trident, 2 dos pumps, mp10 controller, IM ato container, dosing jugs, and my vortech link to apex (wxm).

OP
OP
punkieg0

punkieg0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol it’s a lot back there. Floss, two bags of purigen, 11 w up sterilizer, carbon reactor, gfo reactor, upgraded returns giving be about 800gph, apex atk, tunze 9004 skimmer, diy cheato reactor, heater, apex probes, mangrove, and dosing carbon, alkalinity, magnesium, and acropower. In the stand is my apex setup, trident, 2 dos pumps, mp10 controller, IM ato container, dosing jugs, and my vortech link to apex (wxm).
Wow! That is a lot! Looks like it is working out for you though. Tank looks good!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back