OP
OP
punkieg0

punkieg0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I noticed a little coating of brown developing all over. I assume this is the start of an ugly phase. Haven’t had luck growing my starter corals but everything else is doing well. I have a Flame Hawkfish in QT that I am really excited to get into the tank.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I noticed a little coating of brown developing all over. I assume this is the start of an ugly phase. Haven’t had luck growing my starter corals but everything else is doing well. I have a Flame Hawkfish in QT that I am really excited to get into the tank.
Yes, that is probably the start to the ugly phase. Post a picture! :). You should wait until that phase is over to add more corals because algae tends to bother coral. I got rid of my uglies with 800mg of fluconzanole

OP
OP
punkieg0

punkieg0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that is probably the start to the ugly phase. Post a picture! :). You should wait until that phase is over to add more corals because algae tends to bother coral. I got rid of my uglies with 800mg of fluconzanole
Lights are just turning on so it’s hard to see but that Little Rock up front should be white :)
88856332-E8F6-4AA1-AE3B-CBD1054F3EEC.jpeg

OP
OP
punkieg0

punkieg0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup! You’re at the early stages. It will get much worse LOL. What light are you using? How long is it on? Are you using a skimmer?
AI Prime light and it’s running about 6 hr sill lights with ramp up and down. It’s the David Saxon program.
I am using the Tunze 9004 skimmer.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI Prime light and it’s running about 6 hr sill lights with ramp up and down. It’s the David Saxon program.
I am using the Tunze 9004 skimmer.
You might want to change the program. Saxby’s settings are heavy with the white red and greens. I would turn red and green off completely and drop whites down to 20% until the uglies are gone. White red and green seem to really fuel the aglae. Turning them down is just to mitigate the algae so it doesn’t grow out of control.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then when you have the uglies under control it would be safe to ramp them back up :). What are your plans for stocking the tank? You might need another prime for Christmas!!!

OP
OP
punkieg0

punkieg0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to change the program. Saxby’s settings are heavy with the white red and greens. I would turn red and green off completely and drop whites down to 20% until the uglies are gone. White red and green seem to really fuel the aglae. Turning them down is just to mitigate the algae so it doesn’t grow out of control.
Is there another one you can recommend to download? I have a heck of a time trying to program one of my own yet.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back