JBJ 45 Tank build and progression w/ pictures over 7 months

Zagreus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is a JBJ 45 – Mixed Reef LPS & SPS, wet date February 1, 2017. Progress not perfection and learning from my mistakes. Grateful for all the help I have received on this forum.

Lights – I started with 1 AI 26 HD and then added 2 – 24 inch T5 Retro Kit Aruba Sun Ballasts. Now I am running the AI 26HD and 4 T5 24 inch bulbs ATI = 2 Blue Plus, 1 Aquablue Special & 1 Coral plus.

Skimmer – Started with an HOB Aqua-C Remora and upgraded to a Aquamaxx HOB-ConeS….I like the Aquamaxx, as it has a real cone skimmer that sits in an HOB Water Box that acts almost like a sump. This skimmer is rated for larger tanks than mine.

Return Pumps – Started with 2 cheep knock-offs of the Cobalt 1200 and upgraded to a single Tunze 1073.5 DC with adjustable flow….I love the Tunze Pump and worth every penny.

Flow – I started with a single MP10 and Upgraded by adding a second MP10 Quite Drive….great flow pumps connected to reef link and excellent EcoTech customer service.

Media Baskets = Started with 2 stock JBJ baskets, one for each intake and upgraded to 2 InTank 45 Media baskets. At first I resisted as they were expensive and tried to use egg crate light diffuser to make a carbon and filter floss compartment….fail. The InTank Media Baskets are expensive but worth every penny. They fit tight and have 3 compartments and if you hang a bag of carbon and or GFO in the middle compartment, it almost acts like a gravity fed reactor.

Biological Filtration – I added a bio brick that I used a tile saw to cut up into 4 square pieces and dropped into the sump. It is now a Pod breeding ground.

ATO – Started ouring water in myself then purchased a Tunze Osmolator 3155

Dosing Pump – 4 head Jabeao

Heater – Cobalt Neotherm 150 submersible

RODI Water Station – 5 stage BRS

Par Meter – Seneye also good for Ammonia and PH readings

Salinity – 1.024 – 1.025 – refractometer

Feeding Innovative Marine Gourmet Defroster – worth every penny, feeds out food slowly deep into the water column giving time for the fish to eat without having to shut the return pump off.

Food – Hikari Mysis, PE Calanus, Spectrum Pellets, Reef Roids, Reef Chilli, Oyster

Aminos etc – Red Sea Reef Energy A & B

Rock – close to 30 pounds Marco Reef Saver dry rock

Sand – Carib Sea Pink

Nitrates range from 5-10ppm – Red Sea Test Kit
Phosphates range from less than or equal to .16 – Red Sea Test Kit
CA – 450 – 500 – Red Sea Test Kit
KH – 8.0 – 9.8 ppm trying to keep between 8 and 9 – Red Sea Test Kit
MG – always 1480 – 1500, stopped dosing trying to get down – think red Sea test kits run high
PH – 8.0 – 8.5 – API and Seneye Test
10% water changes weekly using Red Sea blue bucket salt

Balling method dosing using Red Sea CA,KH, MG, NOPOX
NoPox cut to 1ml daily from 3ml
BRS Carbon at ½ dose GFO cutting back

Backup Pumps – 2 Cobalt 1200 I also use for new saltwater mixing and pumping

QT – 10 gallon standard running a Aqua Remora C HOB skimmer with filter sponge intake and cobalt heater

The world famous Conrad Von Conrad Aquascaper. Scape built within measured chalk lines using Marco Reef Saver Rock, epoxy, parking rods and an artist with a very short attention span easily distracted by Lizards
1.jpg

Tank washed up ready to accept water, rock and sand for a 1 month cycle
3.jpg

Marine pure bio brick for the sump chopped into 4 pieces using a tile saw
4.5.jpg

Water, Sand and Rock in the tank 2/1/17
4.6.jpg

The coast is clear, patience is hard. this is a good time to read on the forums for about a solid month.

4.7.jpg

Cycled tank but lights 100% for 8-10 hours = heavy algae blooms. Should have read more on the forums. Picture taken 3/1/17

5.2.jpg

Red Sea test kits and supplements

5.5.jpg

Testing 1,2,3
6.jpg

7.jpg

Water change = to much, to soon = tank recycle

8.jpg

Always checking KH

9.jpg

End of March Tank Shots - umm should have read more on the forums instead of buying that good deal unplanned Milli from my LFS.
10.jpg

11.jpg

Little more tank seasoning and upgraded Skimmer Aquamaxx ConeS HOB. May 4, 2017
12.jpg

Live Sale...perfect excuse to jump in heads first. Well not really.8/3/17

13.jpg
14.jpg

First round of SPS Coral in the tank
15.jpg

Lets buy and build a custom hood T5 Retrofit with 4 ATI bulbs in 2 Aruba Sun fixtures 8/30/17

16.jpg
17.jpg
18.jpg

Tank shot with the new lighting fixture in and some new frags from Cherry Corals last livesale
19.5.jpg

Tank Scaped and all corals in, found out my tank was too sterile. Cut back NoPox from 3 ml to 1 ml and took out 1/2 my GFO and have not refilled since. Allowed my Nitrates to climb to the 5-10ppm line
20.jpg

Here is whats under the hood. Clutter, Dosing pump and containers, ato & pump control panel and most of my food, salt, supplements, testing kits etc

24.5.jpg

Jason Fox Live Sale added some new corals and another MP10 quite drive 8/26/17

25.jpg
26.jpg

Couple of full tank shots 10/1/17
27.jpg
28.jpg
29.jpg
30.jpg

Sometime in October using the Seneye to dial in the lighting more
36.jpg

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great
I went a different way with my JBJ 45
I added a CPR overflow and put a Trigger Systems cube sump in my stand
Since I’ve done that
I have a added a
Reef Octopus curve 5 Skimmer
Radion XR30 G4Pro
Reef Octopus VarioS-6 return pump ( yes way overkill but upgrading tank)
I had a Apex system when I started this build back in Dec of 2015
APEX ATK
APEX flow sensing
Changed heaters to finnex
BRS Media reactor

OP
OP
Zagreus

Zagreus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great
I went a different way with my JBJ 45
I added a CPR overflow and put a Trigger Systems cube sump in my stand
Since I’ve done that
I have a added a
Reef Octopus curve 5 Skimmer
Radion XR30 G4Pro
Reef Octopus VarioS-6 return pump ( yes way overkill but upgrading tank)
I had a Apex system when I started this build back in Dec of 2015
APEX ATK
APEX flow sensing
Changed heaters to finnex
BRS Media reactor

Sounds like you are doing great and using excellent equipment. I like the Reef Octo setup you have. A solid return helps with flow in the tank as well.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I started with fresh on the fresh I also had two Vortech MP10’s that I brought over
I have a Jabao 4 head doser that I’m only dosing RED Sea NoPOX right now ( I use Red Sea products as well)
But will be adding Red Sea three part after I move my Apex out of my stand into its own cabinet the the containers will go into the stand as well thecdoser sits on a shelf inside the stand
I also added two 1X3 in strips around the inside of the stand for extra support

Back