OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New stik, WWC Juicy Fruit Acro is acclimating well.

IMG_3347.JPG

IMG_3323.JPG

The JLP Experience

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey there - really appreciate your build thread. it's an inspiration! I found your setup for wiring very helpful. I have an adaptive reef controlled board along with an American DJ power bar and was thinking of making a similar cut to accommodate the power bar. I was wondering what you have in the cabinet versus outside the cabinet. even with good organization I'm realizing there is no way I can fit all of my power cords into the organizer.

outside the cabinet I've got 2 XR15's, 2 ReefWave 25's. I've got a heater that I'll run to my ink bird.

in the cabinet, I've got my return pump, ATO, doser, ink bird, refugium light, skimmer.

I'm almost thinking I need two controller boards, one inside, one outside to accommodate all my wiring. I could do a similar cut out to your setup to accommodate two ADJ power bars

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey there - really appreciate your build thread. it's an inspiration! I found your setup for wiring very helpful. I have an adaptive reef controlled board along with an American DJ power bar and was thinking of making a similar cut to accommodate the power bar. I was wondering what you have in the cabinet versus outside the cabinet. even with good organization I'm realizing there is no way I can fit all of my power cords into the organizer.

outside the cabinet I've got 2 XR15's, 2 ReefWave 25's. I've got a heater that I'll run to my ink bird.

in the cabinet, I've got my return pump, ATO, doser, ink bird, refugium light, skimmer.

I'm almost thinking I need two controller boards, one inside, one outside to accommodate all my wiring. I could do a similar cut out to your setup to accommodate two ADJ power bars
Thank you. I have Reefwave and Reed LED transformers inside. I did have a LED transformer burn out. Red Sea was quick to replace and even sent me 2. They get kind of hot. I ended up taking them out and setting them behind the tank.

I did run an suggest using an extension cord on the skimmer switch so you don't have to remove the cover for skimmer maintenance. It is nice having the skimmer on a switch.. There is another power strip up top that cant be seen. Having the switches dose make it nice during feed time and maintenance.

Last edited:

The JLP Experience

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I have Reefwave and Reed LED transformers inside. I did have a LED transformer burn out. Red Sea was quick to replace and even sent me 2. They get kind of hot. I ended up taking them out and setting them behind the tank.

I did run an suggest using an extension cord on the skimmer switch so you don't have to remove the cover for skimmer maintenance. I is nice having the skimmer on a switch.. There is another power strip up top that cant be seen. Having the switches dose make it nice during feed time and maintenance.
The skimmer switch is a great idea. I'll run a separate line out toward the top as you mention where I can plug things like the skimmer. I set up my controller board inspired by your's. Updating my thread.

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters this morning...

No3... 0 RS
Po4...0.07 Hana ulr
DKh... 9.5 RS
Ca... 450 RS
Mg... 1560 RS

No No3 and Mg is high.
I guess I need to feed more. Only dosing 1 ml of Mg per day.
I think I will order a Triton ICP test.

MUTiger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look like you have a dwarf angel. Is it nipping at your LPS? I love the fish, but always afraid to put one in my mixed reef.

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look like you have a dwarf angel. Is it nipping at your LPS? I love the fish, but always afraid to put one in my mixed reef.
Actually I had a African Flmeback in this tank. He has nipping on the meaty stuff, Scolymias ect. He now resides in my 900 liter with a Flame and a Cherub. Had to pull a Bi-Colored Blenny out as well. Had to drain the tank to get them out. lol

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
loving this tank build. Glad red sea was awesome and sent you a replacement! Very cool. following now.
Thank you. RS customer service is awesome. The CS rep explained to me that its was probably my doing but was was happy to send me another tank. Just don't use a scraper any were near the seal like I did is all I can tell you. The new ones have gorilla seals so at least I have an upgraded model now. :cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulb is Out Again on my CoraLife 18 watt Power Twist UV again. Opened it up and it is leaking. Seems to be a problem with those units. I am looking at Aqua UV 15 or 25 watt unit to replace it. I wonder if 15 watts is enough.

Also Alk is at 11.0 ... I am switching to Red Sea Blue Bucket from RS Coral Pro and start lowering alkalinity. Better for sps witch im digging. Back in the old days we couldn't grow sps. Just did A 10 gal (15%) water change . I will measure alk tomorrow.

Any thoughts on a UV brand or size?

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. RS customer service is awesome. The CS rep explained to me that its was probably my doing but was was happy to send me another tank. Just don't use a scraper any were near the seal like I did is all I can tell you. The new ones have gorilla seals so at least I have an upgraded model now. :cool:
@Jeffcb man I’m afraid of leaks. After the crash in 2017 with my RSR 250 it was awhile before I could drain and clean the tank. It had so much build up on the glass I had to use a razor blade scraper. Invariably I nicked the silicone a couple times although barely so. When I fill it again I’ll do it really slow and check for leaks the whole time. So to what degree did you nick your silicone relatively speaking?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back