JB's Reefer 250 Coral Salad with Sushi

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up in the middle of the night with the sump low and blowing air bubbles. Added a little top off water and went back to bed. Disassembled Red Sea float valve. It was full of some sort of slime. No telling what. My sump has all kinds of stuff living and growing in it. I even have several baby Trocus Snails. I guessed they are breeding. Soak it in vinagar and cleaned it well. Very simple to do.
20210824_154906.jpg
Works great now.
@Jeffcb I only had mine running a short time and after hearing all the negative comments about the stock ATO float I removed it. Replaced it with an Osmolator replaced that with an Apex ATK.

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jeffcb I only had mine running a short time and after hearing all the negative comments about the stock ATO float I removed it. Replaced it with an Osmolator replaced that with an Apex ATK.
It works great. But like anything else just need to maintain it. Its very simple and sometimes simple is best.

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well today was a little nerve racking but with the help of my LFS we got it done. Took about 2 hours. A new tank is up and replaced the original. Thank you Red Sea.

My Reefer 250 was about 11mounths old and had started developing a seal problem. I contacted Red Sea support and they offered me a new tank after seeing pics with no questions. Red Sea support staff is the best bar none. I will never buy any other brand.

I did ask if the problem that caused this had been resolved. My tank serial number has 20,000. The new one is 30,000 so the do build a few of them. My new tank does had the new Armor Seals. This is Red Seas reply......

"There are many possible reasons for a tank seam to fail, but truth be told, these instances are rare and the proof for this is the tens of thousands of Red Sea tanks that are still up and running today world wide. The instances for seam failures decrease even further with the smaller volume tanks like your Reefer 250 model. Many times the seams fail due to mishandling of the tank during installment or the cabinet is not leveled correctly and this puts unnecessary stress on the seam. This coupled with damage to the seam from glass cleaners can ultimately cause a failure. Please rest assured that if you read the installment manual and follow the instructions correctly, the likely hood of a seam failure is very rare."

Looking back I probably busted it cleaning Coralline with a scraper. I will be real careful in the future.

FTSs after every thing opens up!
IMG_2560 (2).JPG
IMG_2557 (2).JPG
IMG_2578 (2).JPG
20210907_171714.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just binged your whole build, well done! I’ve gotta get back into my build thread and revamp it, especially since I’ve added another tank! 150g tall which is my cyano problem child and I scored a 29g biocube for free
Ya, get it going. I will follow. Add lots of pics!

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ReefDose 4. Put that in your sump and dose it! I am so tired of having to dose A B C every morning. This is going to be nice. Also I think its better to dose Buffer in the evening and Calcium in the morning. I will also be able to do that. Nice project for tomorrow.

20210925_164741.jpg

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Installed 4 head ReefDose today. Still need to set up app, prime, calibrate and schedule.

IMG_2881.JPG

IMG_2859.JPG
@Jeffcb love your LPS. You must be target feeding them? I have the same RS 4-head doser and though my tank isn’t set up I’ve played around with it quite a bit. It’s really nice. I was watching videos on it and didn’t learn much. Then slowly read the user guide and got it figured out. I have it running in simulation without additives right now and I’ve changed the settings quite a bit. This thing runs circles around the Aqua Medic doser I have.

Mitch.

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jeffcb love your LPS. You must be target feeding them? I have the same RS 4-head doser and though my tank isn’t set up I’ve played around with it quite a bit. It’s really nice. I was watching videos on it and didn’t learn much. Then slowly read the user guide and got it figured out. I have it running in simulation without additives right now and I’ve changed the settings quite a bit. This thing runs circles around the Aqua Medic doser I have.

Mitch.
Yes I target feed with a thick ReefRoids paste. Broadcast RS AB+ Something I have learned to do is to incise them to open up with a broadcast of Krill or any small food really. After they open I target feed them.

Haven't programmed the ReefDose yet but it seems really cool. Dang thing is smart! I am just going to start with one head at a time. Alk at night, Calcium in the morning. I would mind one more 4 Head for Trace elements, just not enough space.

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ReefDose is primed, calibrated and scheduled to run daily starting tomarrow.

I used the Red Sea My Recipe Wizzard.

Parameters measured this morning are ...
Dkh 10.4
Ca 490.0
Mg 1460.0 a tad high shooting for 1350

I will check them again next weekend and tweak as needed.

20211003_143626.jpg

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ReefDose is working well and as designed. I still have not onboarded the 4th head For Coral Nutrition AB+ because it is supposed to be refrigerated. I found this on Amazon but the cup is 70mm in diameter and the Red Sea bottle is 72. I may order one and see if I can modify it some how.

Screenshot_20211004-174447_Amazon Shopping.jpg

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ReefDose is working well and as designed. I still have not onboarded the 4th head For Coral Nutrition AB+ because it is supposed to be refrigerated. I found this on Amazon but the cup is 70mm in diameter and the Red Sea bottle is 72. I may order one and see if I can modify it some how.

Screenshot_20211004-174447_Amazon Shopping.jpg
@Jeffcb you could still be in business with this cooler and the Red Sea bottle. A lot of companies will compensate with a fudge factor with their dimension specifications.

With dosing refrigerated additives using an Apex DOS will allow you to suck back the contents of the dosing lines into the bottle. I don't know if you can do this with a Red Sea ReefDose. I don't mean to hijack your thread, it's kind of a fun video anyway.

Mitch.

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jeffcb you could still be in business with this cooler and the Red Sea bottle. A lot of companies will compensate with a fudge factor with their dimension specifications.

With dosing refrigerated additives using an Apex DOS will allow you to suck back the contents of the dosing lines into the bottle. I don't know if you can do this with a Red Sea ReefDose. I don't mean to hijack your thread, it's kind of a fun video anyway.

Mitch.

I don't need to worry about the lines. Supposedly it can stay unrefeigerated for a week or so. I think the problem with it is that it congels or solidifies if not refrigerated.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back