JBs_Reef 550 gallon system and SPS collection

JBs_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R Family!

I am finally getting some time to capture the progress of my new system after moving a few years ago. The system turns 2 in Feb. but I have had some of the corals in the system for over 15 years. Here is the picture of my 260DT from Feb 3, 2022 when the tank turned two. Sorry for the over exposed pic. I just swapped out a bunch of softball sized colonies for some new multicolored acros I have and I removed some of the LPS from the botom to make the tank look less heavy. More growth pick below:
Full Tank 2_2_22.jpg

I have been getting asked lots of questions about my system and sps lately as I have had more time to post on social media (check out JBs_Reef on Instagram) so I decided to get a discussion going about my system and share some of my sps photos. I can't thank all the reefers that have helped me along the way by sharing their knowledge. Honestly there are too many to mention, but this community is amazing and I feel like I need to give back so please send any questions my way.

I will be adding photos of the build up to this point and updated coral pics sprinkled in for some eye candy! Enjoy the content!

2/11/2021
Full Tank 2_11_21.jpg

3/27/2020
Full Tank 3_27_2020.jpg

-Jay

Last edited:
OP
OP
JBs_Reef

JBs_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is some general information about my system that I will update as things change. I will add specifics about equipment when I post pictures of it later in the thread but this should give you some big picture ideas.

Main System
260 gallon DT (made by Miracles, 82"24"x32")
2- 130 gallon grow out tanks (14"x60'x36")
1 - 25 gallon Nem tank

Other Tanks/Systems
150 gallon backup/LPS system
75 Gallon QT system

Equipment
I am a tech junky so I love my apex but have backups in place to help if teh technology fails.
All lighting is Radion G5s and G4s with T5 supplements.
I run a reef octopus dual chamber calcium reactor and supplement with 3 part dosing because the huge reactor can not keep up).
Reef Octopus oversized skimmer.
Closed loop heating system.

Dosing
I dose Red Sea ABCD but I am in the progress of changing over to the moonshiner method.

OP
OP
JBs_Reef

JBs_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing you run a sump?
Thank you for asking because there is a lot I want to share but not sure what to share first.....so the sump it is.

I bought a used 110 gallon 5' long tank that I converted into a sump. I like to look into the side of my sump so I can monitor things so I went with glass. I always prefer glass so it can be scraped semi-aggressively to keep it clean. Here is the sump after I installed the baffles:
sump glass.jpg

Last edited:

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for asking because there is a lot I want to share but not sure what to share first.....so the sump it is.

I bought a used 110 gallon 5' long tank that I converted into a sump. I like to look into the side of my sump so I can monitor things so I went with glass. I always prefer glass so it can be scraped semi-aggressively to keep it clean. Here is the sump after I installed the baffles:
sump glass.jpg
beautiful work on the silicone

OP
OP
JBs_Reef

JBs_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the sump in the basement directly below the DT in the family room. Here is the location of the sump just after I reinforced the floor and added the two metal stanchion poles for a little extra piece of mind. More on the DT later....
poles.jpg

I then hung a full sheet of laminate plywood on the walls to hang things on and create a cavity to run and hide cords and wires.
poles board.jpg

Here is a progress shot with the sump placed and some progress made:
Sump progress.jpg

Last edited:

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for noticing! I masked it all off so it would have that nice clean look. This is my third full build so you will see I am a detail nut with things like this throughout my system.
Nothing wrong with making things look nice. Even if you're the only one. If it looks nice it will stay nice

OP
OP
JBs_Reef

JBs_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the opening of the tank before it was delivered. It is built into these cabinets. We have an open floor plan so these cabinets match out kitchen. Was a bit tricky building the stand and cabinets around it and the panel that is raised by actuators to raise it (more on that later). Wife decided to decorate the opening with Christmas cheer:
Tank empty cabinets .jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
JBs_Reef

JBs_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay how about some pics. Trying to learn a bit more about photography as I learn to use my new camera, Here is a new one that is catching my eye lately. The ends get a very soft Blue/Grey color contrasting the brighter base colors.

TCK Blastwave
TCK Blastwave.jpeg

Back