JCOLE's ACRO Dominant Build

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is where mine used to be. A little higher on No3 for me but close. Your post reminded me to test. I just tested and Po4 registered 0 and No3 is 20.4. It's getting better. I find Acro's do really well for me with lower Alk and nutrients.
Me too! My alk was rock stable at 8dkh. As soon as I started maintaining ULN the alk dropped to 7dkh within 1-2 days.

My alk dosage rose 60% higher to maintain around 7dkh. I’m still trying to dial it in.

I love ULN. I like the pastel coloration and I like how fast everything grows. Coralline is just doing so much better as well.

I use sodium hydroxide for my alkalinity, so the higher alk consumption/dosages also means higher PH which is a snowball effect to faster calcification! :D

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome!! I love seeing this come together!

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Busy weekend and glad to have a little rest now. Removed all old plumbing and moved Apex, etc to the closet. Patched holes and created a dust storm from sanding so much. Painted the room and primed the floor.

Second coat of primer goes on tomorrow and then starting the Epoxy Wednesday or Thursday.

20220821_130934.jpg

20220821_195921.jpg

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After months and months of stressing about what is going on with the tank, I think I finally figured it out(or at least I am on the right track for recovery).

I made some changes between Jan-March like adding Kalkwasser, changing Coral+ T5 bulbs to Aquablue Special, Running GAC, etc. However, I have used all of these over the years without the issues with Acro's like I experienced. I was at a loss for words as nothing I did should have caused what was taking place.

Out of nowhere 80%+ of my Acro's lost their color and either turned pale or browned out. Shortly afterward my nutrients shot up to a level I have never experienced before. Usually, my No3 is around 5-10ppm and Po4 is 0.03-0.09. After the loss of colors, my No3 shot up to 75ppm and Po4 to 0.35ppm. Months went by and the colors never came back and corals continued to decline and then started to STN one by one.

One thing I did a couple of weeks before the color issue was I removed the UV sterilizer because it started to leak and I planned on getting a new one with the new build anyways.

This is why I think I know what is going on. I believe I have a bad bacteria/pathogen in my system and the UV sterilizer was keeping it in check. Once I removed the sterilizer then it allowed the bacteria to take hold.

The reason why I am coming to this conclusion is I started to dose Cipro daily starting on 08/24 and so far I have seen positive improvements. STN seems to have stopped, Calcium demand is going up and the most obvious is my pH has improved big time. I could not get passed 8 for a LONG time. Well, see below. I hit 8.16 for the last two days.

Daily swings since 08/24

chart (1).png

This is just a theory but something I have been thinking about and discussing with others. Aquabiomics is finding bad bacteria like Arcobacter, etc in tanks. I feel that over the last couple of years of increased growth with new hobbyists and especially the Frag game that has most hobbyists selling corals it is allowing bad bacteria strains to pass around to others. This could also explain the increase in ALOT of STN/RTN I seem to see daily on forum posts.

I am thinking there are bad bacteria/pathogens in our tanks that lay dormant like some viruses such as Herpes, Malaria, HIV, Salmonella, Streptococci, etc. Maybe the Pathogen is being passed around to hobbyists and not showing itself in the tank until something stresses the system out. Or, maybe someone has the pathogen and doesn't even know it because their tank doesn't allow it to thrive. They pass it to someone else via frags, etc and the pathogens' new host now has an environment that allows it to thrive. Mine might be an example by removing the UV sterilizer.

I sent off a sample to Aquabiomics two weeks ago before dosing with Cipro. I am curious to see what it comes back with. I will update when I receive the results.

This is a theory and just something I am thinking about. I could be completely wrong but so far, the results of dosing Cirpo have been promising.

I am not promoting anything and not telling anybody to turn to Antibiotics but there might be something to this. If everything else fails then this might be a good solution.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I made a big mistake yesterday. I was at Lowe's and went through 50 2x6 boards just to find 1 straight board. I then went to the pressure treated section and those boards were much better. I went with the pressure treated boards. I built the stand yesterday and it turned out great! Perfectly level and built like a beast. However, I read last night that pressure treated wood is not good to use because of the chemicals and it could warp.

Nothing will be under the stand as all equipment is in the garage so not to worried about the chemicals. I glued the crap out of it and used stainless deck screws.

I really dont want to redo this if I don't have to. Not only money wise but due to the size I will have to cut it all down with a saw.

It is for my 500 gallon peninsula tank. Any thoughts before I go into demolition mode?

20220903_234347.jpg

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a negative ghost rider. Unless you get lucky, it will dry and warp like mad.

I don't used pressure treated for anything but decks and even then, only the structural part that contacts concrete or gravel. (never let it touch dirt no matter what you hear). I use composite for the decking and rails and untreated for everything else and seal it.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have built a stand out of pressure treated, but covered it in 2 coats of clear poly and had no issues. @dantimdad @Lost in the Sauce thoughts on using pressure treated?
Hard pass on the PT Lumber ghost rider, pattern is Full.

Now that I read it has already been used, it is what it is. I would fully paint every bit of expose wood with at least two coats of a thick film-forming paint.

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's secured well, I would not expect to have an issue with warping indoors. It looks like you T'd all your main vertical supports and braced them horizontally top and bottom. You could always get some structural screws such as timber or ledger loks to further reduce any potential movement. Do you plan to use a foam pad of sorts under this tank?

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a negative ghost rider. Unless you get lucky, it will dry and warp like mad.

I don't used pressure treated for anything but decks and even then, only the structural part that contacts concrete or gravel. (never let it touch dirt no matter what you hear). I use composite for the decking and rails and untreated for everything else and seal it.

I have decided to ride with it. The amount of work and extra expense just takes the wind right out of the sails. 500 gallons on the floor does also though..... Fingers crossed and hope I am one of the lucky ones. o_O

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard pass on the PT Lumber ghost rider, pattern is Full.

Now that I read it has already been used, it is what it is. I would fully paint every bit of expose wood with at least two coats of a thick film-forming paint.

I have a dehumidifier running and it seems to be helping. I think I will be fine. I plan on priming and painting in about a week or so after the dehumidifier.

I picked up a tester today that tests the water concentration in wood. I will see if it works.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's secured well, I would not expect to have an issue with warping indoors. It looks like you T'd all your main vertical supports and braced them horizontally top and bottom. You could always get some structural screws such as timber or ledger loks to further reduce any potential movement. Do you plan to use a foam pad of sorts under this tank?

Yes, it is built like a tank. It weighs heavier than the tank itself.

I am thinking of putting a foam pad down just incase.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made some more progress today. Hung up the halide pendants to test them out. The plan is to install all 4 in an open canopy with T5s.

I love the Radiums!!

20220904_164153.jpg
20220904_185639.jpg

Working on plumbing tomorrow while the stand continues to dry

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a dehumidifier running and it seems to be helping. I think I will be fine. I plan on priming and painting in about a week or so after the dehumidifier.

I picked up a tester today that tests the water concentration in wood. I will see if it works.
Unfortunately, neither pin or electric RH meters will work correctly on PT Lumber. Copper is literally Pushed through the fiber of the wood. It totally screws up everything that works on electric conductivity, such as a testing meter

I'm not concerned about warping as you've already built it and put everything together. I'm more concerned about the chemical leaching which is a real thing.

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it is built like a tank. It weighs heavier than the tank itself.

I am thinking of putting a foam pad down just incase.
It can be very difficult to create a 100% flat surface with framing lumber(treated or not). I know acrylic is more forgiving in this regard. When I researched this, the opinions were very mixed. I ended up getting a 1/8" mat for my 30x30. I would imagine you'd want 1/4" for your tank. I would ask your builder though.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to stick my dehumidifier in the room and stand is drying out nicely. At this rate the stand should be dry enough to paint this weekend.

Working on plumbing and I am halfway there. It is taking longer than expected due to chamfering and sanding each pipe. In the end it will be worth it though. Hopefully I will be finished with plumbing by the end of the week.

20220906_221012.jpg

My wife was sitting in the room yesterday and she said "OMG, I just realized how crazy my husband is" :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back