JCOLE's ACRO Dominant Build

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I will try and take some pictures of the plumbing tonight. I really took my time with it on this build. This go around I Chamfered/Sanded every cut and primed before using glue. Took a lot longer but is going to be worth it in the end.

No. It was more figuratively speaking than anything. I plan to have at least (4) powerheads and (2) gyres in the sump running at full speed 24/7.
Hah, gotcha. My mind went straight to those surge devices. I love the idea, but would be a pain to coordinate with an ATO and I'd have to imagine it would produce a lot of salt creep.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hah, gotcha. My mind went straight to those surge devices. I love the idea, but would be a pain to coordinate with an ATO and I'd have to imagine it would produce a lot of salt creep.

Surge device coordination with an ATO would be to set the ATO sensor in the sump return section at the "low tide mark" (when the surge device fills up). Then the ATO sensor will only allow filling when the water level drops below the normal water level range in the sump due to the surge device.

Mikey-D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spent the day today moving everything over to the 300 sump in the garage. Next weekend I will hopefully have the old tank out and start on prepping the room.
Disregard the wiring. I threw things together late last night.

20220807_212651.jpg

Resized_20220807_105535.jpeg

20220807_145259.jpg

20220807_145324.jpg

20220807_145447.jpg
What's the plan for the old tank??

Mikey-D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to sell it. It is currently taking up valuable real estate in the garage and is a happy wife deterrent. :)
Ahhhh, that makes sense. If only I was a bit closer.

That is an awesome tank you have now!! The amount of strides and challenges that people are willing to go in this hobby are nothing but amazing!

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered just mounting a longer 2" diameter PVC pipe vertically in the sump to isolate out the waves/flow and putting the the float valve in there?

I think that would be easier than sourcing a new container and plumbing it.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered just mounting a longer 2" diameter PVC pipe vertically in the sump to isolate out the waves/flow and putting the the float valve in there?

I think that would be easier than sourcing a new container and plumbing it.

That is my plan B. I going to keep it internal now. I am going to make an acrylic cover to go around the switch so I can see the switch. If that doesn't work out then I will put the PVC pipe in.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhhh, that makes sense. If only I was a bit closer.

That is an awesome tank you have now!! The amount of strides and challenges that people are willing to go in this hobby are nothing but amazing!

It has been a crazy 6 months thats for sure. Tank goes in tomorrow so I am almost there.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any tips on buffing acrylic? I need to buff out some minor scratches, haze, and residue from the protective paper.

BCSreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just used a square 5" plastic pot for plants (with drainage holes) for my ATO sensors. Works great and cheap. That is what I'll probably use when I get around to getting my own JCOLE-style 300-gallon stock tank sump:)

The PVC ideas posted above would also work well.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Rolite 3 Step Scratch Removal System (from Amazon) worked pretty well for me when I was cleaning up a frag tank.

I have the Novus 3 step kit. I have a buffing wheel coming in tomorrow. I will start buffing the tank out on Wednesday. Hopefully it turns out ok

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just used a square 5" plastic pot for plants (with drainage holes) for my ATO sensors. Works great and cheap. That is what I'll probably use when I get around to getting my own JCOLE-style 300-gallon stock tank sump:)

The PVC ideas posted above would also work well.

That is a great idea! I will need to look into that option as well.

Can't wait for you to get one also. It's going to be a game changer and a space saver.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a good source for my lower pH issues. After Cipro, I am able to monitor pH better. Things such as fresh air, etc actually help and make a difference with the pH now. I have noticed over the last couple of weeks that my pH will drop randomly all of sudden and I found the source.

The water heater is in the garage with the sumps, etc. When the fire kicks on to heat the tank it must be putting off an excessive amount of CO2 and leaking out into the garage. My pH dipped a full .10 this morning while taking a shower. I have a dilemma. Either fix this issue or stop taking showers.....

1663339644888.png

Well this would explain a pH drop. I installed a CO2 monitor and tested. Normal levels around 400. Once I turn on hot water and the heater kicks on then CO2 causes the meter to go into Overload. The exhaust fan is pulling fresh air from the exhaust pipe and bringing CO2 into the garage. Once I turn the exhaust fan off then the CO2 drops back down to normal levels. I will keep the fan off for now and see what happens to the pH for the next week.

Cool to see the pH drop like this on the Apex and be able to correct the issue.

BCSreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice detective work! Sounds like you are creating negative pressure in your garage, causing the water heater exhaust to act as a source for "makeup air" for your exhaust fan. You will need a source of fresh "makeup" air if you want to run the exhaust fan and water heater at the same time. Do you have a window you could open. You could also run an air inlet line to your water heater if it's design permit that. Our water heater has a line that draws fresh, outside air into the firebox. Also, be aware that in addition to CO2, you may also have elevated CO levels. Be careful!

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice detective work! Sounds like you are creating negative pressure in your garage, causing the water heater exhaust to act as a source for "makeup air" for your exhaust fan. You will need a source of fresh "makeup" air if you want to run the exhaust fan and water heater at the same time. Do you have a window you could open. You could also run an air inlet line to your water heater if it's design permit that. Our water heater has a line that draws fresh, outside air into the firebox. Also, be aware that in addition to CO2, you may also have elevated CO levels. Be careful!

I am going to try it with the makeup air and see what happens. If that doesn't work then I will keep the fan off and only use it for emergencies. I plan on building a separate room within the garage to contain the sump, etc and isolate it from the garage. That should help with all of these issues. That won't be until next year though so I will need to make due for now.

Back