OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any good links to videos, pictures, threads, etc for large canopy builds? The canopy has been the one thing that I am not confident with right now as I don't have a complete plan on what I want to do.

I am tossing around the idea of using aluminum and skinning it, keeping the top open for heat, etc. Just looking for ideas.

BCSreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Below is a photo of what I did with my canopy. Mitras will be mounted with spacers on the flat, slotted aluminum strip. I wanted to be able to adjust side to side, fore and aft along with angle. T-slots gave me the flexibility I wanted.

I also pasted some T-slot related links I had saved.

IMG_0289.JPG

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any good links to videos, pictures, threads, etc for large canopy builds? The canopy has been the one thing that I am not confident with right now as I don't have a complete plan on what I want to do.

I am tossing around the idea of using aluminum and skinning it, keeping the top open for heat, etc. Just looking for ideas.

I've tagged you into someone's build thread where they a garage bicycle hoist along with the thread post numbers.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Below is a photo of what I did with my canopy. Mitras will be mounted with spacers on the flat, slotted aluminum strip. I wanted to be able to adjust side to side, fore and aft along with angle. T-slots gave me the flexibility I wanted.

I also pasted some T-slot related links I had saved.

IMG_0289.JPG

Looks great! Thanks for the links! I will reach out for help when the time comes.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uv sterilizer plumbed in and running as of yesterday. This thing is a beast! Don't mind the wires. These are all temporary until the new tank is up and running.

20220929_203501.jpg

Spent all week buffing out the tank. Tank is finally done. I am going to start filling up the tank tomorrow. It is going to take a week to fill up!

Last edited:

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And so it begins!

20221001_091650.jpg
Very, very exciting! Gotta love the clarity of that acrylic. I'm curious how you intend to clean the inside? I'm using a Magnavore 4ER on mine. It's worked really well with the acrylicare pads. Although, I got sloppy yesterday for the first time in 11 months...so I've got a sanding kit being delivered this week.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very, very exciting! Gotta love the clarity of that acrylic. I'm curious how you intend to clean the inside? I'm using a Magnavore 4ER on mine. It's worked really well with the acrylicare pads. Although, I got sloppy yesterday for the first time in 11 months...so I've got a sanding kit being delivered this week.

Uh oh. That isn't good. I hope it's awhile before I have to sand anything. That is my only concern with acrylic.

I am going to get the mighty mag cleaner with the algae bag. Heard great things about those.

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh oh. That isn't good. I hope it's awhile before I have to sand anything. That is my only concern with acrylic.

I am going to get the mighty mag cleaner with the algae bag. Heard great things about those.
Like I said, I got sloppy. Thankfully they aren't deep scratches, so should be a relatively quick fix. If you're diligent about making sure your pads are clean, you'll be fine. Not sure about the mighty magnet pads, but I don't recommend using pads over coralline. It can break up into fine particles and make very light scratches.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
love it.... I think I figured out why you had to buff a little of the inside of your new awesome tank...I saw you pic of the kids taking a swim...maybe they did it by accident

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

We have large aluminum selections for the canopy, all you would need is the 30 mm >>>https://www.tenecoraquariums.com/collections/aluminum-t-slot

You will like the prices

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also consider going with expanded foam PVC instead of wood. Much lighter. Waterproof. One design suggestion is a "fixed frame" canopy. Sits on the tank. No hinges. The panels are then attached to the canopy with magnets. All of them completely removable for unhindered 360 and top access. We can help you with this also.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
love it.... I think I figured out why you had to buff a little of the inside of your new awesome tank...I saw you pic of the kids taking a swim...maybe they did it by accident

I made it very clear to them to stay away from all edges and do not touch the tank. They were only in there for a second. There were scratches near the back as well where they didn't even go.

It's all good though. They came out.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also consider going with expanded foam PVC instead of wood. Much lighter. Waterproof. One design suggestion is a "fixed frame" canopy. Sits on the tank. No hinges. The panels are then attached to the canopy with magnets. All of them completely removable for unhindered 360 and top access. We can help you with this also.

Great idea. Sending you a PM now.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After making 300 gallons so far I realized it's probably a good time to clean out my mixing container. Gotta love Reef Crystals!

I have a 5 micron filter on the mixing container so it's not an issue. Still need to clean it though.

20221003_202635.jpg
20221003_202627.jpg

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am following...gomna be me soon with a 600....the 300 will become more of a fish then reef so we can have butterflies and angels....the 600 will be our reef..

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's alive! Tank is up and running and connected to the existing system. I had to throw up two metal halides just for fun. I am in love so far! It's been a long time since I had halides. My kids came in and said "WOW, it looks like the ocean" The reflection on the floor and ceiling is amazing!

20221009_150223.jpg
20221009_150245.jpg
20221009_150308.jpg

Next thing to do is run two new dedicated circuits for the lights and then order the canopy. Hopefully, I will have livestock in it by November.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back