JCOLE

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

The system is doing well. I am seeing growth everyday and my 2-part is getting used up quickly. Will need to look into a CArx soon.

A quick walk around the tank

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. What are you feeding the Copperband?

Thank you. He eats flakes along with the other fish. I have had him for over two years now. At first he would only eat Aiptasia and tube worms for three months then I got him eating black worms and now it's flakes.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

The system is doing well. I am seeing growth everyday and my 2-part is getting used up quickly. Will need to look into a CArx soon.

A quick walk around the tank

Beautiful tank! I noticed you have some nice tangs with your copperband. I am thinking of getting a copperband for my 180 to eat aiptasia. But I thought my tangs (2 yellows, 1 purple, 1 hippo) would tear it to shreds. Do you think I could introduce one into my tank with success?

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank! I noticed you have some nice tangs with your copperband. I am thinking of getting a copperband for my 180 to eat aiptasia. But I thought my tangs (2 yellows, 1 purple, 1 hippo) would tear it to shreds. Do you think I could introduce one into my tank with success?

Thank you. I would say depends on the aggression of the tangs you currently have. All of my tangs are pretty calm except for my Powder Blue. He is aggressive towards other fish. I had my Copperband before the Powder Blue so they get along well. If your tangs are aggressive then I probably wouldn't as Copperbands are hard to acclimate and eat.

They are beasts against aiptasia though. Mine eliminated probably near 500+ aiptasia within 3 days.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy New Year everyone!

One of my new years resolutions is to do more DIY items to the tank. Back in the day that is what we all did. It was rare I would buy anything that I couldn't build myself. Over the last couple of years, I find myself spending a ton of money on things I can make myself.

I have been looking at skimmers because the two skimmers I have just don't seem to be cutting it on the system. They either overflow quickly or dry skim very slow. Skimmers for the size of my system would cost $3-4,000. I started thinking of some DIY skimmers I could make. I started pricing large PVC and Acrylic and still found it getting pricey.

I decided to try something out. It looks ghetto but this thing pulls skimmate out that makes my skimmers look like a joke. It is in my garage in my 300 stock tank sump so I don't care what it looks like as long as it works.

Built it for $30 minus the Jebao pump I had laying around. Meet the Venturi driven Bucket skimmer! This is my test run today. I took out my skimmate from my existing skimmer and dumped it in the test bucket. It pulled this out within 2 minutes.

20230102_130959.jpg

I wiped all the skimmate out and you can see how it still comes pumping out

20230102_131227.jpg

I took the collection cup off and the foam looks good in the body.

20230102_131709.jpg

I ended up adding a third bucket on the bottom after the test run to add more dwell time. The final design is all glued and drying in the garage. I plan on turning this on in the system tomorrow to see what it can really do!

It might be ghetto but what do you all think?

Last edited:

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy New Year everyone!

One of my new years resolutions is to do more DIY items to the tank. Back in the day that is what we all did. It was rare I would buy anything that I couldn't build myself. Over the last couple of years, I find myself spending a ton of money on things I can make myself.

I have been looking at skimmers because the two skimmers I have just don't seem to be cutting it on the system. They either overflow quickly or dry skim very slow. Skimmers for the size of my system would cost $3-4,000. I started thinking of some DIY skimmers I could make. I started pricing large PVC and Acrylic and still found myself getting pricey.

I decided to try something out. It looks ghetto but this thing pulls skimmate out that makes my skimmers look like a joke. It is in my garage in my 300 stock tank sump do I don't care what it looks like as long as it works.

Built it for $30 minus the Jebao pump I had laying around. Meet the Venturi driven Bucket skimmer! This is my test run today. I took out my skimmate from my existing skimmer and dumped it in the test bucket. It pulled this out within 2 minutes.

20230102_130959.jpg

20230102_131227.jpg

I took the collection cup and the foam looks good.

20230102_131709.jpg

I ended up adding a third bucket on the bottom after the test run to add more dwell time. The final design is all glued and drying in the garage. I plan on turning this on in the system tomorrow to see what it can really do!

I think it’s awesome!

I don’t care about things looking perfect in the sump area, as long as the display does! :D

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome Josh!!!
I am a born and raised beach bum, and that is exactly the same thing as waves crashing and foam building up on the beach. Nature's version of a protein skimmer, and to think we would play in that stuff, lol ;)
Great job, we need to put manufacturers and retailers on notice regarding what's needed and not in this hobby. Way to use your noggin brother! Well done

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ghetto? Maybe. Ingenious? yes! Nice work Josh! You got me thinking :)

Thanks Bob! I am looking forward to testing tomorrow with the 3rd bucket. Body chamber is now 42" tall and almost 12" wide.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome Josh!!!
I am a born and raised beach bum, and that is exactly the same thing as waves crashing and foam building up on the beach. Nature's version of a protein skimmer, and to think we would play in that stuff, lol ;)
Great job, we need to put manufacturers and retailers on notice regarding what's needed and not in this hobby. Way to use your noggin brother! Well done

Thanks Perry! That is exactly what I was thinking as well. It has the same consistency and look of beach foam. Pretty nasty stuff!

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's cool. I think it needs some paint on the sides. Brown with some small circles on the side so it looks like a skimmer. Lol

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is it going with the 3rd bucket?

I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I added the 3rd one yesterday and sealed it up. Thr silicone should be dry and I plan on starting it up tonight in the sump. Hope all goes well and there are no leaks.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Happy New Year everyone!

I have been looking at skimmers because the two skimmers I have just don't seem to be cutting it on the system. They either overflow quickly or dry skim very slow. Skimmers for the size of my system would cost $3-4,000. I started thinking of some DIY skimmers I could make. I started pricing large PVC and Acrylic and still found it getting pricey.

I decided to try something out. It looks ghetto but this thing pulls skimmate out that makes my skimmers look like a joke. It is in my garage in my 300 stock tank sump so I don't care what it looks like as long as it works.

20230102_130959.jpg

20230102_131227.jpg

I took the collection cup off and the foam looks good in the body.

20230102_131709.jpg

The WonkaSkim mate.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is it going with the 3rd bucket?

Its in and running. This was about two minutes after dialing it in. Already pulling out some junk. A couple days will be the true test of what it will pull out.

The long air line hose is for a CO2 scrubber I plan on installing.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the skimmer failed. It was doing really well but then the bottom bucket separated from the second bucket. I knew it would be temporary as it was just held together by superglue and silicone. Was hoping I would get atleast a day or so out of it.

It's ok as that was just a test run. I am going to scrap it and build a new one. I have things I want to add/change and I will end up plastic welding the buckets together for a permanent bond.

Things I want to add or change
1. Dare I say 4 buckets? LOL!
2. I am going to make the second and maybe the 3rd body chamber a big bubble plate consisting of 4 plates in each body.
3. Bring the input/output pipes into the bottom bucket and not the top.
4. Going to make it out of clear buckets

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer 2.0 is up and running and it is much better. I can see the water movement now with the see through buckets and they are welded together for strength. Up and running for a couple hours now and it is running well.

First start up. Thick skimmate already forming

This is the skimmate after running for an hour. This is some really good looking skimmate.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back