JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Installed the Klir filters today.

20200809_221609.jpg

Had to reroute some plumbing to make them fit. Had to use the biggest step bit I could find for a 1.5" bulkhead.
20200809_221532.jpg

Plumbing finished
20200808_162215.jpg

Goodbye filter socks!
20200809_221437.jpg

The controllers that come with these are horrible and feel like cheap toys. I ended up cutting the motor cords and wiring them directly to their transformers. Hooked the transformers up to an EB832 outlet and programmed some float switches to activate the Klir's. So far seems to work well. Time will tell though.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm finally sitting down to read your thread mate and I'm just giving you fair warning that I'm about to blow up your notifications with likes and such, I will check back in shortly with glorious praise once I've finished reading top to bottom ;)

Awesome! Hit me with your best shot. Lol

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Hit me with your best shot. Lol
So how'd I do with the notification?? :p

You might have to use your imagination a little but pretend the confetti is praise!! haha
giphy.gif

The tank is gorgeous mate and the little helper you have is so fantastic to see how involved he is with it all!! :D I'll be interested to see what you think of the Klir's having installed them now too :) and because I'm a fish nerd as much as I'm a coral nerd, what's the current fishlist you have? :)

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how'd I do with the notification?? :p

You might have to use your imagination a little but pretend the confetti is praise!! haha
giphy.gif

The tank is gorgeous mate and the little helper you have is so fantastic to see how involved he is with it all!! :D I'll be interested to see what you think of the Klir's having installed them now too :) and because I'm a fish nerd as much as I'm a coral nerd, what's the current fishlist you have? :)

giphy.gif

Thank you! I thought my phone was having a seizure with all the notifications, LOL. Yeah my little buddy is still shadowing me a lot. My other older ones are not all that interested. They get it from their Mom. :D

I might have an issue with the Klirs. They run about every 20-30min with activation of the floatswitch for about 2 seconds. It's only been a couple days but appears I am a quarter the way through the rolls. At $20 a piece for the rolls this will cost about $100 a month for rolls. If that's the case then they are going to have to to come off. What I think is going on is my water wasn't that clean and these 50 micron rolls are polishing them and pulling everything out. The true test will be how long do the replacement rolls last for.

I don't have a big fish list for my tank. Current list is

Pink Squared Anthias
Copperband Butterfly
Fox face
Yellow Eyed kole tang
Flame tang
2 green Chromis
2 yellow tailed damsels
Black/white Clown

Last edited:

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy.gif

Thank you! I thought my phone was having a seizure with all the notifications, LOL. Yeah my little buddy is still shadowing me a lot. My other older ones are not all that interested. They get it from their Mom. :D

I might have an issue with the Klirs. They run about every 20-30min with activation of the floatswitch for about 2 seconds. It's only been a couple days but appears I am a quarter the way through the rolls. At $20 a piece for the rolls this will cost about $100 a month for rolls. If that's the case then they are going to have to to come off. What I think is going on is my water wasn't that clean and these 50 micron rolls are polishing them and pulling everything out. The true test will be how long do the replacement rolls last for.

I don't have a big fish list for my tank. Current list is

Pink Squared Anthias
Copperband Butterfly
Fox face
Yellow Eyed kole tang
Flame tang
2 green Chromis
2 yellow tailed damsels
Black/white Clown
Nothing wrong with a minimal fishlist, some nice choices for workhorse fish though! :) That's crazy how quickly the Klirs are going through the rolls. It will be interesting to see if it calms down after a while as you could be right about them processing extra's that weren't being taken out beforehand :)

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing wrong with a minimal fishlist, some nice choices for workhorse fish though! :) That's crazy how quickly the Klirs are going through the rolls. It will be interesting to see if it calms down after a while as you could be right about them processing extra's that weren't being taken out beforehand :)

I am starting to think it is my water flow in my sump. I have never measured GPM but she flows. I am thinking it is so fast that I am burning through the rolls. I am over half of both rolls in 4 days.o_O

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting to think it is my water flow in my sump. I have never measured GPM but she flows. I am thinking it is so fast that I am burning through the rolls. I am over half of both rolls in 4 days.o_O
Hmmm haha that could be a good point. Would you try a slower flow or would you rather just go back to socks? One of the designs I really like about Waterbox tanks is that there is a mesh sock followed by a felt sock. I get so much more life out of the felt sock as it doesn't have to clog up with larger particles and the mesh sock is so easy to clean that even if it got dirty enough for daily cleaning it wouldn't bother me :) It's probably too tricky to try and squeeze all that in but it would be a good way to make the rolls last a heck of a lot longer :)

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm haha that could be a good point. Would you try a slower flow or would you rather just go back to socks? One of the designs I really like about Waterbox tanks is that there is a mesh sock followed by a felt sock. I get so much more life out of the felt sock as it doesn't have to clog up with larger particles and the mesh sock is so easy to clean that even if it got dirty enough for daily cleaning it wouldn't bother me :) It's probably too tricky to try and squeeze all that in but it would be a good way to make the rolls last a heck of a lot longer :)

Probably try a slower flow. I have always thought my flow was too fast because my skimmer doesn't produce a lot of skimmate. It pulls nasty crap out but I only have to clean the cup about once a month. I might try slowing the flow to see. Also I could put a delay on the klirs through my Apex to try and slow them from working.

A little late to switch. I cut the cords to the motor so I won't be able to return them.....
giphy.gif

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another pack came in today from @therman. These pieces are really nice!! Now the hard part.....finding room for them!

RMF Red Devil Nasuta
P8200031-2.jpg

CC Rainbow Hyacinthus
P8200013-2.jpg

BC Heart and Soul
P8200063.jpg

ARC Fireworks
P8200077.jpg

RMF Tigers Blood
P8200088.jpg

BC Brain Candy Table
P8200098.jpg

RMF Green Devil
P8200104.jpg

CC Black Hornet
P8200125.jpg

CC DreamCatcher
P8200141.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going through my Acro list. I think it is time to order some more! LOL

ARC Fireworks
ATL Raspberry Lemonade
Bali Green Slimer
BC “therman’s rainbow” nasuta
BC Aquabat
BC Aquatic man table
BC Battle Stag
BC Blood bank
BC Blue Angel
BC Blueberry nasuta
BC Bohemia
BC Bonfire table
BC Brain Candy Table
BC Catapult Fireball
BC Dales Purple Unknown
BC Firecracker Table
BC Frankenberry
BC Goldfire
BC Heart and Soul
BC Honeycomb
BC Lemon peel
BC Pearly Cadaver
BC Peril Betty
BC Poison Envy
BC Pumpkin Pie Milli
BC Rainbow Brite
BC Rainbow Jewel
BC Rainbow-Melon Teni
BC Rainbows Army
BC Sanjay's Leprechauns beard
BC Secale
BC Sex Feast
BC Shades of fall
BC Sky Parade
BC Sunset Milli
BC Ultimate Table
Blue Tip Teal Stag
Cali Tort
Carolina Blue Tort
CC Black Hornet
CC Dark Knight
CC Dream Catcher
CC Needles in Haystack
CC Rainbow Hyacinthus
Copps Calacali Stag
Green Dragon
Green Slimer Spongodes
Greg Carroll Acroberry
Greg Carroll Ultimate efflo
Greg Hiller aqua delight
JC BloodSickle Milli
JF Fox Flame
JF Stag
JF Unknown Coral
Miyagi Tort
ORA Cliff's Acro
PC Rainbow
Reef Ready Grape Juice
Reef Tech Starburst Montipora
RMF Acid Trip Milli
RMF Green Devil
RMF Red Devil Nasuta
RMF Tigers Blood
RR Cylon Raider
RR Pink Cadillac
RR Wolverine
Snipers blue
Tyree Pinky the bear
Tyree Red Dragon
UC Strawberry Shortcake
Unknown Bushy Acro
Unknown Green Stag
Vivid’s Rainbow Delight
Walt Disney
WhiteTip Stag

Last edited:
OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran some tests last night and if correct, I am getting some really high PAR numbers. I believe this is stunting the growth on most of my pieces.

I lowered my lights so now I have around 800 at the top of the rock and 300 near the sand. Interested to see what the next month brings.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%
Back