OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ummmm.....look at all these steps. This better be worth it.

20201007_204116.jpg

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replaced my (4) Black Box LED's last night with a 6 Bulb T5 Retrofit kit. Right now bulbs are a 50/50 mix of ATI Blue+ and Coral+. Going to take some time getting used to the whiter light. Might play with other bulb combos down the road. Loving the blanket of light across the whole tank. Hard to tell but there is very little shadowing with the T5's.

One thing I noticed is how brown my corals are. Probably from not getting the proper light and spectrum for so long. Looking forward to watching these color up to what they should be naturally.

Black Boxes
20201021_162620.jpg

New T5's
20201021_162426.jpg

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good!

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you liking this one?

It is a good bit of steps and takes about 15 or so minutes to complete. It reads up to 5ppm of NO3 I believe. Mine is always higher than 5ppm. For the first test, I followed directions and the mix was clumpy etc. For this reason, I don't think it tested accurately. For the second test, I diluted per instructions and that worked perfectly. Came out to 7.80 which is really nice to get within those ranges.

I will always dilute going forward. If it is indeed this accurate then honesty it isn't bad.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do love the way T5's look but I also love the way MH look, AND also LED's hahaha I'm one of those weirdo's that has no hate for any reef lighting hahaha

The tank looks really nice with the T5's!

Thank you! I am right there with you because I like them all as well. I just think they all have a specific purpose. I wish I could incorporate all of them for my lighting but don't think that is feasible with my setup.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the name of this one? Amazing!

It is an unknown piece I picked up from my LFS about a year ago. It was a turd for about 6 months and then turned into this. I agree it has become one of my favorites. Has at least 6 colors in it.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received another pack from @BCSreef today. His pieces are amazing!!!

These pictures are not that great. Camera lens needs to be cleaned and the LED's were too blue. However, I had to snap a couple of pictures of these beauties though. Pictures were taken a couple of hours after delivery.

CB Flaming Unicorn
PA300003.jpg

Oregon Tort - Hard to capture the blue
PA300025.jpg

TSA Bill Murray
PA300046.jpg

BC Bubblebath Unicorn
PA300052.jpg

Peng's HOTO - Picture does not do the blue justice
PA300060.jpg

TGC Cherrybomb
PA300072.jpg

TSA Spiro the Dragon
PA300089.jpg

CB Maleficent
PA300094.jpg

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had an interesting week so far....

I took the day off on Thursday because I had corals coming in. Later that day I figured it would be a good time to permanently mount my T5 lights. I switched out my black box lights for a 6 bulb LET Retrofit kit. Lights were temp mounted 4" off surface for the past week. I wanted to move them to about 11" of the surface. I had to remove the unistrut originally mounted for the black boxes. I was in a hurry unscrewing the bolts and a washer dropped behind the back of a rock. It was in a worse possible spot. I ended up having to tear apart the whole right side of my aquascape to get out the washer. SMH! If I would have been patient then I could have saved an hour and alot of frustration.....

However, it turned out better than expected.

20201031_205919.jpg

Loving the results of the T5's so I picked up the aquatic life fixture for my frag tank. I installed it today and it looks good. BRS was out of stock of the 54w Coral+ bulbs so I had to go with an aquablue special and a purple+ with 2 blue+ bulbs. Looks good but is a little too white.

20201031_205255.jpg

20201031_205317.jpg

Last edited:

Zoajohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Amazing looking tank. How's the vibrant treatment coming along? I have an acro tank with some but on the fence regarding whether or not I want to dose it

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did that once with a screw. I went to the auto parts store and got magnetic pick up tool. It was cheap, didn't care if it rusted afterwards.

Tank looks awesome.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing looking tank. How's the vibrant treatment coming along? I have an acro tank with some but on the fence regarding whether or not I want to dose it

Thank you. I stopped the Vibrant a month ago. This was my second time and honestly, I probably won't touch it again. Both times it took care of the bubble algae but it comes back afterwards. What it does is it makes it too clean. I lost my Red Dragon colony and a couple frags this time using it. I plan on upping my CUC if bubble and other algae comes back.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back