OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Josh, how are you shooting these pics again? They are just awesome.

Thanks Scott! I usually use an Olympus TG-6 but haven't used it underwater in awhile. My last one developed a haze under the lens from taking it in and out of the water. I wont use the new one underwater without an underwater body. It takes great macro shots but it's hard to get good close shots outside the tank. I used my Wife's Canon 5D Mark 4 in a port hole to shoot these top down shots.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked this up as a Purple Unknown Tort. I lost it during my Vibrant crash last year. I removed the dead coral after it RTN'd. It appears one little piece was left behind that wasn't dead. I guess nature finds a way. It is starting to come back strong and now it appears to have more blue than purple.

Purple Unknown (1 of 1).jpg

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a 100 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank over the weekend. I am thinking of plumbing it into my system for added water volume and allow me to remove all of my check valves. I am going to put a valve on the bottom for easy water changes. Should allow me to dump 40 gallons when needed.

20211203_212116.jpg

Tank is doing well right now so a little nervous about making a surgical change like this.

Last edited:

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a 100 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank over the weekend. I am thinking of plumbing it into my system for added water volume and me to remove all of my check valves. I am going to put a valve on the bottom for eazy water changes. Should allow me to dump 40 gallons when needed.

20211203_212116.jpg

Tank is doing well right now so a little nervous about making a surgical change like this.
I LOVE this idea. Besides, now that you bought it, you are committed! :)

In addition to the usual temp and salinity match, don't forget to match up some nitrates and potentially phosphates. Depending on how deep you are going to run the sump, that could be a fair amount of dilution.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a 100 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank over the weekend. I am thinking of plumbing it into my system for added water volume and me to remove all of my check valves. I am going to put a valve on the bottom for eazy water changes. Should allow me to dump 40 gallons when needed.

20211203_212116.jpg

100 gallon tub with a valve in the bottom was one of the best decisions I made for the tanks in the fish barn. Super easy water changes, if needed, and no need for 4 tanks to have siphon break or check valves. I just have a float switch to shut my skimmer off when water level gets high.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I LOVE this idea. Besides, now that you bought it, you are committed! :)

In addition to the usual temp and salinity match, don't forget to match up some nitrates and potentially phosphates. Depending on how deep you are going to run the sump, that could be a fair amount of dilution.

No turning back now! I am thinking of running it only about a 1/3. Leaves plenty of room for extra water to dump and room for other things. My NO3 and PO4 are elevated at the moment so I could use the dilution at this point. :) Really looking forward to this so I can move my skimmer to another chamber in my sump and start up mangroves again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100 gallon tub with a valve in the bottom was one of the best decisions I made for the tanks in the fish barn. Super easy water changes, if needed, and no need for 4 tanks to have siphon break or check valves. I just have a float switch to shut my skimmer off when water level gets high.

That is exactly what I am looking to do. I just checked out your build thread. Nice setup!! I will be following along. I see you have the Octo skimmer. Is that the 200INT? I have that one as well. If so, how high is the water level in your sump for that skimmer?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is exactly what I am looking to do. I just checked out your build thread. Nice setup!! I will be following along. I see you have the Octo skimmer. Is that the 200INT? I have that one as well. If so, how high is the water level in your sump for that skimmer?
It is the 200. The water level is right at the bottom of the red writing on the side. Or dead center of the height of the out pipe, however you want to look at it. This level gives me a very dry skim with the valve all the open. Being as I have a massive macro tank, I do not want to skim out too much stuff, but still want some gunk out.

In the pic below (if you zoom in) you can see the level.

Sump is a little different setup now on the left side, as I added an egg crate divider and have some cheato growing down there. Was starting to grow on my other macros and I am still pulling strings out lol. I also tied in a 40 gallon tub to the sump, so I could put the zoas and shrooms in it and not in the tank with the nems.

tempImage0eBGc4.png

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150 rubbermade sitting out in the snow right now. It will serve as a temporary stocking tank when I upgrade my frag system to an 11 foot raceway.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back