JDowns Red Sea Reefer 525XL Ver. 2.0

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really hoping this guy finally splits on his own. I just haven't been able to stomach cutting him up yet. Looks like he might just be naturally splitting into fourths soon. Been balled up like this for a few months now and has slowly been forming what looks like four parts. I may need to pop him off the rock though, since not a lot of room for four bodies on there. That could be what's holding up the show. Just not sure where the heck I'm going to put the other three.

DSC_2966.jpg

Beautiful!

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really hoping this guy finally splits on his own. I just haven't been able to stomach cutting him up yet. Looks like he might just be naturally splitting into fourths soon. Been balled up like this for a few months now and has slowly been forming what looks like four parts. I may need to pop him off the rock though, since not a lot of room for four bodies on there. That could be what's holding up the show. Just not sure where the heck I'm going to put the other three.

DSC_2966.jpg
My hairy mushroom got split on accident. The rock he was mounted to fell and part of it held on. By the time I got home there was a tiny piece of flesh holding on. An hour later it broke and now I have two.

OP
OP
JDowns

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this weekend the new mixing station will get into place. I do need to construct another stirrer for the salt side, but all the parts are here. Finally getting close to getting this tank into its final spot and starting the cycle.

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the doors and they look perfect! Had a bit of trouble finding similar screws to the saber but its all done and attached now. Dark enough during the day to hide most everything except the iPad and Apex lighted logos and with the red LED's on it looks awesome. I'll be shooting some night pictures and posting on my build thread but there's a couple daylight ones I just shot if you're still interested in how they turned out. Apologies for the hijack post.

Thanks again for pointing me to Cronos and all your help!

OP
OP
JDowns

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to be putting together over the next few weeks a revised magnetic stirrer design. Worked on a final BOM and this will cost less than $175 plus 3D printing. Switching to a lower cost Mini CIM motor. The cost should come down once I test the motor amp draw since I'm still going with a 12VDC 30A mean well. This should largely be overkill but need to test the full stall amps to be sure.

Not to bad considering alternate solutions out there cost well over $2000.

https://www.amazon.com/Bel-Art-Magnetic-Stirrer-Liters-F37028-0001/dp/B002VBW554

Main reason for the redesign is to test out a different magnet configuration and impeller. I was having a drink with a buddy of mine over at APL and we got to talking about this little project and he mentioned the work Jay Harman had done with the Lily Impeller.

Always cool to see mechanical design mimic nature.

I'm scaling the model down by half as a first test, back of the napkin from my buddy and it could be scaled down even further but the rotation of the magnet housing is going to throw off any basic assumptions. I may have to ("read" most likely, from higher minds who deal with fluid dynamics daily) go to a 4:1 ratio on the motor rather than a 2:1. But this will be a good starting point.

Last edited:

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to be putting together over the next few weeks a revised magnetic stirrer design. Worked on a final BOM and this will cost less than $175 plus 3D printing. Switching to a lower cost Mini CIM motor. The cost should come down once I test the motor amp draw since I'm still going with a 12VDC 30A mean well. This should largely be overkill but need to test the full stall amps to be sure.

Not to bad considering alternate solutions out there cost well over $2000.

https://www.amazon.com/Bel-Art-Magnetic-Stirrer-Liters-F37028-0001/dp/B002VBW554

Main reason for the redesign is to test out a different magnet configuration and impeller. I was having a drink with a buddy of mine over at APL and we got to talking about this little project and he mentioned the work Jay Harman had done with the Lily Impeller.

Always cool to see mechanical design mimic nature.

I'm scaling the model down by half as a first test, back of the napkin from my buddy and it could be scaled down even further but the rotation of the magnet housing is going to throw off any basic assumptions. I may have to ("read" most likely, from higher minds who deal with fluid dynamics daily) go to a 4:1 ratio on the motor rather than a 2:1. But this will be a good starting point.

Incredible!

That is absolute genius!

OP
OP
JDowns

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost set to test this over the weekend. Just need to finish a very lengthy print for the impeller.

Got the enclosure done for the motor and drive assembly. Ended up going with another Meanwell power supply since they are efficient, reliable, and not overly priced. Decided on the 200 watt which is overkill, but I'd rather have an abundance of power for testing. Using a 30 amp motor driver controller that allows for soft start and stop and set at 10% power increments.

IMG_2040.JPG

IMG_2041.JPG

The Mini-CIM motor is pretty efficient over the power range, not quite as good as the Amp Flow motor, but more than efficient for the task and is nearly half the price.

Screen Shot 2019-05-01 at 8.35.59 AM.png

These above values are done with basically no load. The magnet assembly on the drive is only 102 grams and is 3" wide, so not a whole lot of rotational mass. These figures will change, although not significantly, when the impeller is pulling water. Its currently setup with a drive ratio of 2:1.

OP
OP
JDowns

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small revision on the numbers, since Wednesday is not my math day. :p

Also the motor will not turn until 2.4vdc. So I take back the efficiency statement. This is actually very efficient for the intended purpose.

Now just need to pot in the magnets with resin and this should be good to go with a test this weekend. Pretty impressed with the ceramic bearings from Boca Bearings. Pretty darn quiet dry, should be close to silent wet.

Screen Shot 2019-05-01 at 4.24.10 PM.png
IMG_2043.JPG

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And here i am thinking I’m super high tech because I have an automatic fish feeder!

Bro this tank is already looking Insane I gotta give it to your DYI skills you need a YouTube channel share that mind my friend you never know if something else can come from it. Love this hobby and the DIYers ya rock!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small revision on the numbers, since Wednesday is not my math day. :p

Also the motor will not turn until 2.4vdc. So I take back the efficiency statement. This is actually very efficient for the intended purpose.

Now just need to pot in the magnets with resin and this should be good to go with a test this weekend. Pretty impressed with the ceramic bearings from Boca Bearings. Pretty darn quiet dry, should be close to silent wet.

Screen Shot 2019-05-01 at 4.24.10 PM.png
IMG_2043.JPG

Not only is it highly functional, it looks very cool too!

I think @dantimdad may be on to something with creating a wavemaker.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JDowns

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant .stl.

Will do. Just waiting on the necessary forms to be completed. I'll need a signed declaration that you have completed certain items from your honey-do-list. Sherry will need to co-sign.

You understand. Just for my own protection.

;Hilarious

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do. Just waiting on the necessary forms to be completed. I'll need a signed declaration that you have completed certain items from your honey-do-list. Sherry will need to co-sign.

You understand. Just for my own protection.

;Hilarious

I can't tell if Sherry is laughing or plotting our demise right now.

OP
OP
JDowns

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok sent me the still please. I really gotta work in this.

I'll get you the files this week. I made a few small adjustments. The magnets need a shroud, so the rotation of that mass doesn't affect the impeller. I separated things into parts, so the main impeller can be printed separately and different designs can be played with without reprinting things.

Impeller threads onto the magnet assembly, which holds the shroud over the magnet assembly. The magnet assembly has a ceramic bearing which sits on the mounting plate that is stationary. There is enough clearance around the shroud so water can get in and keep the bearings lubricated, but not enough that its rotation causes and disturbance.

Screen Shot 2019-05-06 at 8.37.20 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-06 at 8.37.28 AM.png

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back