OP
JDowns

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I want this thing to run at less than 60db ... hopefully. The motor itself is pretty darn silent. The selection of bearings and pulley's will be crucial. I'm going to try a 40 tooth 2GT2 with a 120 tooth 2GT2 since they are the quietest option that can handle the rpm's and torque. Unfortunately I'll have to spend more on a good set of pillow bearings than the motor itself, but noise level and longevity will be worth it in the end.

Although now that I type and think about it. There really isn't that much torque going on in the grand scheme of things. A v-belt pulley with a idler pulley may be a good solution.

OP
OP
JDowns

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got parts ordered to try this monster magnetic stirrer out.

Went with the following.

• Ampflow F24-150-12V 4900 (rpm) / 250 (oz-in) stall torque / 1/3 hp 2.3" motor.
  • 2GT2 40 tooth / 80 tooth / 100 tooth / 120 tooth gears. To test current draw ranges from 2:1 - 3:1 gear ratios.
  • Matching belts for each gear set for approximately 6" center.
  • Set of stainless pillow bearings / shaft collars / and a 6" stainless shaft.
  • 8mm mounting hub from Pololu
  • Rest of the parts will be printed.
I think to mount the motor I'll use a pair of 3/8-20 threaded rods as a rail. Then nuts can be used to tension the belts and lock down the motor to the rail. The entire thing will be mounted to 3/4" plywood inside the box that drops down into the mixing station.
Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 12.12.33 PM.png

OP
OP
JDowns

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now THAT is ingenious!

Can't wait to see it.

Noise isn't an issue for me mixing stuff. It's all done in the laundry room behind a closed door.

Getting towards a final concept. I need to either put a pair of o-rings around the motor with grooves in the mount or find some neoprene sheeting to attach to the pump to create friction when the two parts are fastened. That should keep down vibrations and more importantly friction against the mount and motor.

Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 3.29.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 3.30.03 PM.png

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting towards a final concept. I need to either put a pair of o-rings around the motor with grooves in the mount or find some neoprene sheeting to attach to the pump to create friction when the two parts are fastened. That should keep down vibrations and more importantly friction against the mount and motor.

Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 3.29.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 3.30.03 PM.png

Looking like a great DIY stirrer for sure!

I'm sure you thought of this already but, in case you haven't, yoga mats make good anti-vibration sheeting. Plus they're cheap. Additionally, if you ever feel like stretching you're all set!

OP
OP
JDowns

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after a slow weekend due to lack of parts, this weekend will be busy.

Final glass door came in today. It needs to be disassembled and painted. Excited to see how it all will look finished and with the touchscreen active behind the glass.

Motors came in for the Kalk Stirrer / Magnetic Stirrer. Need to print up the mounting now that I can take some firm measurements of the motor. Hoping to get this tested this weekend since the gears, shafts, and bearings showed up also. Need to do some current draw tests with the different gears to test where peak efficiency ends up. These motors are beasts for sure. I struggled to find a smaller motor that would have the right level of stall torque that was any cheaper than these. I considered a CIM motor, but Ampflow came highly recommended for the price point and reliability.

Utility cart is coming along. Most of it is assembled. Just need to print jigs for mounting the drawer slides. Disassemble to the frame and put a light coat of paint over it to freshen it back up to new. The paint on these things is very easy to scar up. then mount up the mini magnetic stirrer to the top and it should be good to go.

Second order from 8020 should be coming in a few weeks for the. mixing station along with the new 50 gallon utility tanks.

Plumber comes out next week to run a water line and waste line to the equipment room so that space can be redone.

Slowly coming together.

OP
OP
JDowns

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once I get a chance I'll get some photo's up of the cart now that it's done. The built in stirrer works fantastic and will easily stir a gallon of two part in no time.

Just about done with the larger stirrer for the Kalk container. I'm pretty certain I'll be building another for the salt. Initial motor test with gearing at 3:1 shows that the motor engages at just over 6v and draws a half an amp, at 12v it only draws 0.88 amps. That puts me right in the peak efficiency zone and should be plenty of rpm's to do the job. The Mean Well 12v/30amp power supply at this point is just overkill, but I had an extra lying around and I can use it to easily power two setups.

I just need to wait for the clear coat to dry on the stand before I put too much weight on it for final testing.

It's much much quieter than the other motor. But a plywood box in the end is just going to act like a microphone to any vibrations. I may order some Dynamat and skin the inside of the box if it drives me nuts. Some rubber washers will be my first attempt at a fix as that should provide isolation points against vibrations.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once I get a chance I'll get some photo's up of the cart now that it's done. The built in stirrer works fantastic and will easily stir a gallon of two part in no time.

Just about done with the larger stirrer for the Kalk container. I'm pretty certain I'll be building another for the salt. Initial motor test with gearing at 3:1 shows that the motor engages at just over 6v and draws a half an amp, at 12v it only draws 0.88 amps. That puts me right in the peak efficiency zone and should be plenty of rpm's to do the job. The Mean Well 12v/30amp power supply at this point is just overkill, but I had an extra lying around and I can use it to easily power two setups.

I just need to wait for the clear coat to dry on the stand before I put too much weight on it for final testing.

It's much much quieter than the other motor. But a plywood box in the end is just going to act like a microphone to any vibrations. I may order some Dynamat and skin the inside of the box if it drives me nuts. Some rubber washers will be my first attempt at a fix as that should provide isolation points against vibrations.

I'm really digging everything about this from inception to actualization! Yeah, the Meanwell is a bit of overkill but it does look good.

OP
OP
JDowns

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Utility cart is finally done. Lined the drawers with under cabinet felt with a foam backing to prevent any spills from affecting the wood. The top is replaceable Starboard.

IMG_2007.JPG

IMG_2008.JPG

IMG_2009.JPG

This should make mixing 2 part much easier.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Utility cart is finally done. Lined the drawers with under cabinet felt with a foam backing to prevent any spills from affecting the wood. The top is replaceable Starboard.

IMG_2007.JPG

IMG_2008.JPG

IMG_2009.JPG

This should make mixing 2 part much easier.

Fantastic job!

OP
OP
JDowns

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this will work just dandy. Ramping up from 6vdc to 9vdc. Anything over 9vdc and the current helps push off the stir bar. I may need bigger magnets on the stir bar. 25 gallon square Tamco tank. Not too shabby for less than 10watts of power.

OP
OP
JDowns

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turns out an easy fix is an o-ring down the center of the stir bar. Still enough pull on the magnets and the small space below allows for additional flow. Still don't need to go above 9vdc for this thing to move a lot of water. A bit overkill for a Kalk Stirrer....but was certainly fun to put together.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back