Jebao/Jecod DCS-2000 Nano DC Pump Control by Reef-Pi help recommendation for 3 phase brushless controller

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the two pumps they look identical probably made but the same manufacturer Coral box just figured out how to hack to controller like I’m trying to do. The problem may be all the esc I have tried are Square wave and the pump requires a sine wave to work. Did you get a chance to look at the other program I mentioned to you. This is where that cheap a siloscope it really coming handy
Yeah, their outsides look pretty much identical. The Jebao DCS however runs on a square wave, as mentioned on their webpage. The upgraded DCW version runs on sine, that's also why the controller looks very different.

Had a look at the software and registered for the forum.

Yeah, that oscilloscope would sure come in handy right about now ^^

OP
OP
Wolfw28

Wolfw28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, their outsides look pretty much identical. The Jebao DCS however runs on a square wave, as mentioned on their webpage. The upgraded DCW version runs on sine, that's also why the controller looks very different.

Had a look at the software and registered for the forum.

Yeah, that oscilloscope would sure come in handy right about now ^^
They have change something between the Jebao DCS pumps and Coral Box DCA pumps. I did succeed with a new controller and a 2000 L Jebao DCS but did not get it to work with a Jebao 4000 L DCS. But if it is this controller you have

IMG_20220715_171938.jpg

IMG_20220715_171952.jpg

the upper connection should be a 1-10 V connection but I have never figured out the PIN configuration and/or how to activate it.

Yes I have spare controllers but I live in Sweden:) and I have crash some. I bough some of them as spare parts from Fish Street but as I say before - it is not sure that a Jecod 2000 works with the new controller. Reach out to ReefBreeders - they did have these coral box pumps before - maybe they can have a controller for you to test. If they can´t help you - send a mail to Fish street.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Wolfw28

Wolfw28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sral after doing some research I’m pretty sure that there is no difference in a square wave and a sine wave pump ie motor. They are identical 3 phase brushless motor has a minimum of 3 coils they can be 3 6 9 12 coils or poles. The difference is in the controller providing the voltage signal and a sine wave controller is tuned to the motor. Do know why I didn’t realize this till just now. That also explains my question about a Creality Ender 3 3d printer have a silent mother board up grade which I installed on my my printer. Before upgrading the motherboard you could hear the printer in my office while I the living room with the door shut. Now you only hear it if your in the same room big difference. They must have switch from a square wave driver to a sine wave driver there no way firmware or going from 8 bit processing to 32 bit processing is going to charge the sound of a stepper motor. Tomorrow I’m going to take the controller back apart and see weather the button are ground side or hot side switched to see what we would have to do hardware side to control the buttons. Little show and tell of what I have been working on for my tank. It’s a corner rock structure to hide my Vortec Mp10 power head started off in a 3d image, print, and low rock. Still have more to do before it goes into the tank. [ 691A74CD-D84B-4FA4-B6AB-6CAE76E88283.jpeg 6F5F6214-8350-42E0-9C29-A58B9ABB6C48.jpeg 200406F4-FAFA-4808-B3E7-B17CDBBE5801.jpeg DFDEFC2A-F955-46AC-B597-4BC7340476CC.jpeg A0D0A732-6983-4CFD-B7A7-CF59B67897A0.jpeg A0D0A732-6983-4CFD-B7A7-CF59B67897A0.jpeg 09BD8EBC-14DB-443C-AFB8-DC524A3D44E0.jpeg A0D0A732-6983-4CFD-B7A7-CF59B67897A0.jpeg 09BD8EBC-14DB-443C-AFB8-DC524A3D44E0.jpeg F281AFE8-8EAA-40BD-AEB0-9F17785462A7.jpeg

Attachments

• C99545C2-034A-4E75-9E7E-6210C904D906.jpeg
    C99545C2-034A-4E75-9E7E-6210C904D906.jpeg
    148 KB · Views: 36

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sral after doing some research I’m pretty sure that there is no difference in a square wave and a sine wave pump ie motor. They are identical 3 phase brushless motor has a minimum of 3 coils they can be 3 6 9 12 coils or poles. The difference is in the controller providing the voltage signal and a sine wave controller is tuned to the motor. Do know why I didn’t realize this till just now. That also explains my question about a Creality Ender 3 3d printer have a silent mother board up grade which I installed on my my printer. Before upgrading the motherboard you could hear the printer in my office while I the living room with the door shut. Now you only hear it if your in the same room big difference. They must have switch from a square wave driver to a sine wave driver there no way firmware or going from 8 bit processing to 32 bit processing is going to charge the sound of a stepper motor. (…)
Hmm , not absolutely sure about that, but I think you might be right. The main difference is probably in the driver, which will be more complex and probably needs more adjustment to the motor coils.
In both sine and square wave you need feedback to adjust to the motor’s phase. It’s just that in square wave you only need to switch simple MOSFETs to make a square, whereas for sine you need a more complex Frequency generation I guess.
That’s also what makes it more silent: a sine wave is pure and can only cause resonances in the motor, casing, etc. if it lines up correctly. A square wave has basically almost all frequencies and will therefore always excite resonances in all parts to some degree.

Looks really nice ! I tried something similar hiding my current pumps behind some rocks and output the water between two rocks with a hidden pipe. Originally I even wanted to place the pump outside by using clean water from the filter line, but that didn’t work with my pump ^^

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will be perfect. I have never like to see my pumps (or other technical things) in my DT

Here is my solution of hiding these avfull pumps (I use old RW8 pumps) in my 80 g DT scroll down

Nearly the same solution in my Red Sea 20 g

And this is the way my 80 g looks 6 years later

@Sral Back to Nature is own and sold by a German company those days - but i do not think that you can get it in the US for the moment - but you seems to be located in Germany

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm , not absolutely sure about that, but I think you might be right
Neither do I. I purchased a single controller and it works for my old DCS 2000 but not for DCS 4000 (as I wrote before). I switch to coral box DCA 4000 and the same controller works for that pump.

Sincerely Lasse

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(...)@Sral Back to Nature is own and sold by a German company those days - but i do not think that you can get it in the US for the moment - but you seems to be located in Germany
Very nice, if I ever start a reef Aquarium I'll probably go for something like that. I very much like your setup. My freshwater Aquarium will sadly not be quite as clean. I tried hiding the equipment as much as possible, but if you don't have a nice backwall like your reef, that's close to impossible ^^

OP
OP
Wolfw28

Wolfw28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sral
I check out the controller the up and down button have 2 circuit each. So need 2 mosfet/transistor and probably a couple of diodes. I have these think they will work may be a little over kill. BOJACK TIP120 NPN 5 A 60 V Silicon Epitaxial Power Transistor 5 amp 60 Volt Darlington Transistors. The on time for the transistor needs to be around .3 seconds the controller switches on the button release. I will only be able to control it through Reef-Pi because there’s no feedback to Reefpi if I change it manually.

I thought about a solution to that problem but there are a few other problems
1 connect each led on the controller to a input pin on the pi as feed back on controller settings if I manually change speed.
Problems
1 I don’t know my solder skills and equipment are good enough to solder wires to the led circuit on the board.
2 out of sensor/input pins don’t think with my current Robo-Tank setup that would be possible only solution I see would to use an arduino,NodeMCU, or ESP32 and have one of them handle the input/output, and communicate between the 2 like a Nextion display on the rx tx or some other communication network.

Right now I would be happy just using Reefpi to change the flow every 12 hour it would be really nice if it could be every 30 min but I’m pretty sure that Reefpi lighting intervals are set at 2 hours.

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should probably measure the voltage on those contacts against ground, just to see which are Normally Closed and Which are Normally Open and if they are even connected to something in the first place.
Upside to this is you could measure that with two hands, one measurement syringe fixed on Ground, one measurement probe on the contact and an isolated screwdriver to push the button.

For testing, you could then short the normally open ones and see of the controller reacts.

I'm not sure if Bipolar transistors (npn and pnp) are the best solution for this, as they require more of an electrical connection in my understanding (you need to drive current through). A n-channel MOSFET (and if you require both contacts, a p-channel one as well) will do much better, as it doesn't require as much connection if I'm not mistaken (you only need to supply voltage and a bit of current to charge the gates).

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW the simplest way to ensure that the macro can set the desired power level ,irrespective of manual control, is to initially decrease power 10 times, that way it is guaranteed to be on the lowest setting. Afterwards increase to the desired power.

one could also try and get the current setting from the water flow, if you have a flow sensor connected.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wolfw28

Wolfw28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea forgot about the flowmeter lol considering the issues to get them to work.

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea forgot about the flowmeter lol considering the issues to get them to work.
Also: if you are running out of GPIO pins you might use an I2C chip to add more of those, either:
As a complete Board
or
As a single chip

Runs on 5V, so should be a simple matter of plugging that into the I2C port on your RoboTank. Not sure if those are actually usable by Reef-Pi itself (needs an appropriate driver, like the PWM Module (PCA9685)), but definitely accessible by any Python script I would write.

OP
OP
Wolfw28

Wolfw28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral Box make a controller for Jebao-Jecod that works on the 0-10v control system that Apex controller use that we can use on Reef-pi.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 122 58.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 30.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 36.2%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 16.4%
  • Other

Votes: 62 30.0%
Back