Jebao SLW-20 setting suggestions for nuvo 30L

the_chef_pierre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. I finally got my Jebao SLW-20 wavemakers in the mail today and am trying to work at figuring out which settings are best for them for my Nuvo 30L tank. So far they seem pretty good, but some of the settings like the random flow one definitely are too powerful and cause my sandbed to blow around everywhere. Anyone have any suggestions for the best settings for these pumps on my smaller, but long, tank? I don't really have anything in it right now other than a pistol shrimp and goby that are paired and have made their cave and a paly that hitchiked its way in on a rock. I'm managed to get a nice wave going using the W1 settings, but is this good for flow or should I be trying something different? I know these pumps are still fairly new but if anyone has them and has any suggestions id love to hear.

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have one of the SLW10's right now on my 25, and that is probably enough. But... gonna get another one for the opposite side. So I can't comment here other than to say I love mine. Super quiet and way powerful. Following though.

OP
OP
T

the_chef_pierre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah they are definitely crazy quiet and more powerful than I thought. Right now I have it on the setting that makes a nice wave. I wanted to use the random setting but it's too powerful and blows the sand everywhere. Love the nighttime feature that lowers the setting down when I turn off the lights in my room

OP
OP
T

the_chef_pierre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other suggestions yet? I've figured out how to get a nice wave going but now i think my goby isnt a huge fan of it

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what the difference between them is, but I’ve got one ow-25 on my 50 gal mixed reef and it’s more than enough on 2 power. I’m running in sine (w2) to keep it from start/stopping. I figure it’ll get longer life not being as harsh on the motor that way. Frequency is about 1/4 of the way up from the right. The pump is on the right side about 1/3 down and angled up and to the front. I think two of these things would be overkill in a tank this size. There is zero settling in there. Everything stays suspended until it goes to the filter.
image.jpg

OP
OP
T

the_chef_pierre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The slave mode allows the two pumps to work together i believe unless you have it in C mode (where the take turns turning on and off). Yeah, I agree that these are more powerful than I thought. I have mine on W1 right now on the second level for my tanks, which is 36" long but only about 12" tall. They make a nice wave but im thinking i might have to take it down to level 1 to now freak out my fish as much

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The slave mode allows the two pumps to work together i believe unless you have it in C mode (where the take turns turning on and off). Yeah, I agree that these are more powerful than I thought. I have mine on W1 right now on the second level for my tanks, which is 36" long but only about 12" tall. They make a nice wave but im thinking i might have to take it down to level 1 to now freak out my fish as much
Try aiming it more toward the surface. It’ll still generate lots of flow but it’ll be indirect.

OP
OP
T

the_chef_pierre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the W1 wave good though? like right now i have it looking like a rolling wave over the top of the surface, or is that too much?

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the W1 wave good though? like right now i have it looking like a rolling wave over the top of the surface, or is that too much?
W1 is fine. I use W2 because I think it’s easier on the pump to not have to keep starting and stopping. There’s a few threads on here where folks mention they got longer life out of pumps using the sine vs start/stop settings.

OP
OP
T

the_chef_pierre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I assume the H and C mode are not the best then? And what's the difference between w1 and h? Also I hear else mode is the best for reef tanks? Could I put else ok one pump and something more gently on the other or do u think this will still blow the sand everywhere

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think else just randomly runs through different power levels. I haven’t really messed with any of the other settings besides W1, 2, and the frequency dial to get flow right in my tank.

OP
OP
T

the_chef_pierre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah you're right. Else is random but when it goes super powered it's too much for my size tank. Not sure what h is but I know C is when you have two pumps it takes turns shutting them off so the flow is on for however long you control it for (like 5 seconds on the left side of the tank then switching to 5 seconds on the right side, then back to the left side, etc)

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else using this wavemaker?
I'm using the slw-20m on random in my 40b, about to pull the trigger on a second non-wifi.

H is constant flow. W1 and W2 and both similar, but W2 uses sine instead of square-wave dc control, will be slightly quieter.

bozo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm using the slw-20m on random in my 40b, about to pull the trigger on a second non-wifi.

H is constant flow. W1 and W2 and both similar, but W2 uses sine instead of square-wave dc control, will be slightly quieter.

How is the WiFi option? Is it worth it over the non WiFi?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 130 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back