JEBAO SLW-20 vs REEF POWER RP-M / CORAL BOX RN-1

Bizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have heard good things about the RP-M / RN-1, but does anyone have any more info about the Jebao SLW-20? I haven't seen much about them yet.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a reefer who has used lots of Jebao wavemaker pumps and crossflow gyres and just one CoralBox RP-M wavemaker, I'll say this. Consider the long term reputation of Jebao and their what, about 6th or 7th wavemaker version? And the Jebao doesn't look nearly as slim as the RP-M. That's all I have to say.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a reefer who has used lots of Jebao wavemaker pumps and crossflow gyres and just one CoralBox RP-M wavemaker, I'll say this. Consider the long term reputation of Jebao and their what, about 6th or 7th wavemaker version? And the Jebao doesn't look nearly as slim as the RP-M. That's all I have to say.
Reefbreeders is rebranded jeabo products.....

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You may be right about that. However, I thought Coral Box stuff was somebody other than Jebao. Jebao doesn't sell a wavemaker that looks at all like the RP-M from Coral Box. I have an RP-M wavemaker and a Coral Box skimmer (also unaware of Jebao selling skimmers) and they have both worked well for me so far (both are just over a year old).

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait so you are saying reef breeders is a knock off of the Chinese knockoffs known as jeabo...either way they are both super cheap knockoff brands.

I know for a 100% fact that Reef Breeders Photon V2+ light fixtures are made by EverGrow and you can buy almost the exact same fixture from EverGrow directly (outside the US). I know Reef Breeders sells some Jebao hardware and Jebao and others sell pumps and powerheads that are extremely similar.

But Reef Breeders sells some Coral Box hardware and some Reef Breeders hardware that are very similar to each other, but as far as I know, these are not Jebao pumps or wavemakers. I haven't seen similar pumps or wavemakers sold by Jebao or any other Jebao re-sellers. I may be wrong, but that's what I understand the situation to be.

One last point. Jebao consistently makes cheap (as in very low price) items and they make them in a very cheap (as in poorly made and tested) way. They let us, the consumer, do their long term testing and then they upgrade what is wrong and come out with a new version.

On the other hand, EverGrow is a huge led fixture manufacturer who sells both plant/nursery led fixtures and aquarium led fixtures world wide and they recognize that to sell into North America and Europe, they need to make quality products. I once worked for a company that had EverGrow build their fixtures and even spoke with the owner and several techs at EverGrow.

nick9one1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have heard good things about the RP-M / RN-1, but does anyone have any more info about the Jebao SLW-20? I haven't seen much about them yet.

I'm planning on upgrading to an SLW 20 or one of the smaller DW9's in the near future (haven't seen these for sale yet though). Tank noise is really important for me, so I recently upgraded to one of the Jebao DCP6500's - boy is it quiet! Even on full speed its inaudible.
Now the tank is quieter I can hear the RW-8 on pulse (I thought it was silent before I upgraded the return pump!)

The reason I mention the DCP return is I think Jebao has made quite an improvement with the latest Sine wave pumps (which the SLW is). I'm pretty sure a lot of the more expensive pumps are still square wave, which is why they aren't silent. A friend of mine has all ecotech gear and given the choice I'd stick with the latest Jebao stuff.

s-l1600.jpg

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know for a 100% fact that Reef Breeders Photon V2+ light fixtures are made by EverGrow and you can buy almost the exact same fixture from EverGrow directly (outside the US). I know Reef Breeders sells some Jebao hardware and Jebao and others sell pumps and powerheads that are extremely similar.

But Reef Breeders sells some Coral Box hardware and some Reef Breeders hardware that are very similar to each other, but as far as I know, these are not Jebao pumps or wavemakers. I haven't seen similar pumps or wavemakers sold by Jebao or any other Jebao re-sellers. I may be wrong, but that's what I understand the situation to be.

One last point. Jebao consistently makes cheap (as in very low price) items and they make them in a very cheap (as in poorly made and tested) way. They let us, the consumer, do their long term testing and then they upgrade what is wrong and come out with a new version.

On the other hand, EverGrow is a huge led fixture manufacturer who sells both plant/nursery led fixtures and aquarium led fixtures world wide and they recognize that to sell into North America and Europe, they need to make quality products. I once worked for a company that had EverGrow build their fixtures and even spoke with the owner and several techs at EverGrow.
Ok i have a few responses, the coralbox skimmers use rebranded jeabo pumps.
Evergrow lights are 50/50 as i have 4 of their wifi blackboxes sitting in my garage which wete point of sale. They randomly came on throughout the night at max power on both channels. Lost wifi connection ect.
The rpm and r1 are the same wavemaker, just the reefbreeders labeled one has a warranty, that is directly from their customers service.
The slw-20 is a similar pump in function, im assuming the coralbox/reefbreeders has some form of patent rights attached, and they are built in the same factory as the slw, which only looks a little different. The slw-20m is going to have wifi controllable through phone app.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefbreeders is rebranded Chinese equipment, just not Jebao. They used to sell Jebao (maybe they still do) and may use some pumps in their other gear. Somewhat moot though as these things are often made in the same factories.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SLW-20 looks more like a Nero clone to me. Even copied the aqua colored paddle blades LOL. Hate that on the Nero as it makes them more noticeable; why anyone would copy it is beyond me. The RP-M pumps are fine. Been using a pair for about a year in a spot where I really wanted a low profile pump .... and they fit the bill.

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway you slice it I don't support theft of intellectual property and patent infringement so they will get none of my money ever. I don't care if they start selling $400 clones for $5 I still will not buy it.

nick9one1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway you slice it I don't support theft of intellectual property and patent infringement so they will get none of my money ever. I don't care if they start selling $400 clones for $5 I still will not buy it.

While I completely agree with the theft of IP. Is that the case here? I cant see any indication that AI have patented the Nero pump.

I agree that they have copied the aqua coloured blades, but thats about all. The SLW20 doesn't pivot like the nero, and the electronics will be quite different (it uses the same control panel as Jebao's previous sine wave pumps).

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you order enough units of any product, they will slap any name you want on the packaging.
I remember seeing this somewhere in fish street website. it says contact them for volume purchase.

MikeyA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, I just watched a video review of the coral box RN-1 and he had 2 cons, basically he wasn't sure how it would hold up over time and that the flow was over stated. I would like to see what you think about them.
Ill post a youtube vid when i get them

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know if the rn-1 can be controlled by an apex controller? I know most jebaos can.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefbreeders is rebranded Chinese equipment, just not Jebao. They used to sell Jebao (maybe they still do) and may use some pumps in their other gear. Somewhat moot though as these things are often made in the same factories.

The biggest difference is that jebao does not offer USA based warranty service. We stock and service everything we carry in Rhode Island.

Back