Jeff's Build

OP
Murica

Murica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score

Still unsure about this one.. There may be better options out there. I'm going to also be running a hydor external skimmer rated for 300 gallons, so I may be able to get away with a slightly smaller skimmer.

I understand some concerns with the height of the tank, but I've mastered the art of the grabber and I intend to put lower light corals on the bottom, that way I can have a huge variety of different coral.

Last edited:

Luno

View Badges
Reaction score
One thing I did, was I found these humidity sensors that come as a switch that will control your extraction fan. It was amazing and worked perfectly, set your desired humidity and works just like a heater or chiller does in the tank, switches on and off as needed. If your gonna do a fish room with exhaust fan, this thing is an absolute great!
Below is the Australian version but I'm sure the states will have their own version
https://www.pureventilation.com.au/product/accessories/wall-mounted-humidity-sensor/

OP
Murica

Murica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
One thing I did, was I found these humidity sensors that come as a switch that will control your extraction fan. It was amazing and worked perfectly, set your desired humidity and works just like a heater or chiller does in the tank, switches on and off as needed. If your gonna do a fish room with exhaust fan, this thing is an absolute great!
Below is the Australian version but I'm sure the states will have their own version
https://www.pureventilation.com.au/product/accessories/wall-mounted-humidity-sensor/
Yeah I think they're called humidistats here. Like I said I want this thing to be as self automated as possible, so I think one of these sensor switches would work great. What's nice about the whole project is that I'm able to build everything from scratch instead of retro fitting everything in. Saves a ton of work and money. That's why I'm starting the thread now instead of later next year, that way I hopefully continue to get great suggestions [emoji3]

OP
Murica

Murica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Addition centered around an in-wall? Following! What else is the addition being used for?
just a living room and below that, a two car garage.. You know.. Non important stuff [emoji23]. I thought the structural part regarding the weight of the tank was going to be pricey but, since it'll be new construction it barely makes a difference to my bottom line.

crusso1993

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
For your CaRx and your skimmer, it may be worthwhile to look into Aquarium Engineering products. They are typically a little more expensive but come with a lifetime warranty. Additionally, the owner of the company, Bill Wann, will work directly with you.

OP
Murica

Murica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Sounds very much like the build I'm planning. What are the advantages of those stealth overflows versus other types?
They're just very low profile and offer a high gallon per hour rating while keeping noise down and prevent clogs/large things being sucked down into the sump. Custom aquariums offer this and they're standard over flow, which is similar to the stealth box, so I figured since I wanted the high gph to just get them instead. They work great, just put them in a low light area of the tank. The only issue I had with them is if gha starts growing on them, it'll restrict flow (as with most over flows).

I'm a diy'er, so I may just drill all the holes myself and make my own bulk heads and return lines to save money. I have you look more into this.

Please share your build as well! I'd love to get pointers from each other.

Last edited:
OP
Murica

Murica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
For your CaRx and your skimmer, it may be worthwhile to look into Aquarium Engineering products. They are typically a little more expensive but come with a lifetime warranty. Additionally, the owner of the company, Bill Wann, will work directly with you.
Thanks for the info. I'll check them out.

Corals.com

Luno

View Badges
Reaction score
just a living room and below that, a two car garage.. You know.. Non important stuff [emoji23]. I thought the structural part regarding the weight of the tank was going to be pricey but, since it'll be new construction it barely makes a difference to my bottom line.
That's good news when I built my house and designed it for my 7ft in wall because it was beside the void to the second level but on the ground level I didn't stress. Then structural engineer told me I'd need an extra 8k in structural beams to support the upper level because the tank took away what would have been in the wall. I just pretended that it was a regular building expense to the other half [emoji1]

OP
Murica

Murica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I've been thinking of the tanks, and I couldn't stop thinking about the size difference of the fowlr and reef. If I get two 8'x3x3 instead of the one ten footer, then the price range should be similar if I'm able to sell my current 240 gallon when time comes. Still undecided...

Last edited:
OP
Murica

Murica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I've been seeing people in the forums sharing multiple issues with the apex system... I have done zero research on it, but I'm curious what peoples experiences on profilux are? Or if there's another controller out there.. If anyone has experiences with apex, profilux, or another brand please share

OP
Murica

Murica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I'm quickly realizing how much planning needs to go into a large build. I'm glad I'm starting now!

One thing I'm struggling with is to make sure I have all the proper equipment and knowledge to run everything correctly. Calcium reactors for example.. No idea how to set them up and dial them in. I'm sure I'll gain more knowledge as time goes on, but with all the difference of opinions you see on the forums, I just hope everything works out for me in the end. Fortunately I'm on the best reef keeping forums around [emoji12].

Plans are to make an absolute stellar reef tank, so I'm also concerned about micro nutrient control and making sure they're always in check. Fortunately I'll be using the Neptune dos for small but constant auto water changes to hopefully replenish them. I'll probably end up doing periodical icp tests to make sure everything's running smoothly.

Luno

View Badges
Reaction score
In regards to the calcium reactor I know many people use them but it's never been my thing and as we discussed I've had some pretty decent sized tanks mind you the largest "reef tank" I've had was 1500L (roughly 300g for you Americans). And I've always done balling or randies. I'm with you I wouldn't have a clue about running a calcium reactor. I know ongoing costs can be an issue with larger tanks but buying bulk it really doesn't cost much ongoing and I feel more confident in a good quality doser.

Luno

View Badges
Reaction score
Also I have it some thought and for me the height difference would bother me too much if I was you. I would get two tanks made the same height especially if they are side by side in the wall. If it was on different walls it wouldn't bother me as much but with all your doing I think you'll kick yourself later if you don't do it right

OP
Murica

Murica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
In regards to the calcium reactor I know many people use them but it's never been my thing and as we discussed I've had some pretty decent sized tanks mind you the largest "reef tank" I've had was 1500L (roughly 300g for you Americans). And I've always done balling or randies. I'm with you I wouldn't have a clue about running a calcium reactor. I know ongoing costs can be an issue with larger tanks but buying bulk it really doesn't cost much ongoing and I feel more confident in a good quality doser.
The only thing with dosing is that I hear calcium reactors provide magnesium and other elements back until the tank. Do you use triton? How to you put your trace elements back? Do you think small water changes would be sufficient enough? I was planning on swapping out 100 gallons a month (that'll give me two months of water changes per box of io salt).

Luno

View Badges
Reaction score
The only thing with dosing is that I hear calcium reactors provide magnesium and other elements back until the tank. Do you use triton? How to you put your trace elements back? Do you think small water changes would be sufficient enough? I was planning on swapping out 100 gallons a month (that'll give me two months of water changes per box of io salt).
If you follow randies you add magnesium with that obviously. I actually brought this up with randy here once before and I think from memory it was in regard to auto water change swapping say an overall of 10% weekly but doing it automated over even increments throughout the day. And I'm fairly certain he said that would cover most trace elements just fine.

I did a while ago start doing a triton test every 3 months just for my own neurotic knowledge but nothing has been too crazy in the ones I've had done so far but if anything is out I will know!

OP
Murica

Murica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Also I have it some thought and for me the height difference would bother me too much if I was you. I would get two tanks made the same height especially if they are side by side in the wall. If it was on different walls it wouldn't bother me as much but with all your doing I think you'll kick yourself later if you don't do it right
I need to figure out how I can do it work.. My budget is 15k, so if I get the two tanks I'll be limited with what I can get for equipment. Two 10 foot, or even 8 foot tanks side by side would look amazing, but it would be at the cost of the reef. I feel like no matter what you do in this hobby, if you just spend a little more you can get (fill in space) haha it's a tough decision.

Will you be participating in Secret Santa 2019?

• Yep! Count me in! (Be sure to register in the thread)

Votes: 120 68.6%
  • Not this year

Votes: 46 26.3%
  • I hope to, but I'm not located in the USA (Please be sure to PM Santa Claus about this issue)

Votes: 9 5.1%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
CoralVue HYDROS WaveEngine Launch #2
Chaos Aquaculture