Jeff's Build

OP
Murica

Murica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Wow, sounds like it'll be an incredible build! Looking forward to seeing what happens with it!
Thanks! Lots of questions to figure out but I can not wait to get started! Any help or advice you can give along the way would be greatly appreciated.

Blutspitze

View Badges
Reaction score
Thanks! Lots of questions to figure out but I can not wait to get started! Any help or advice you can give along the way would be greatly appreciated.
I'd be happy to help where I can, but something like this is pretty far beyond my grade. Will do my best!

OP
Murica

Murica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Also I have it some thought and for me the height difference would bother me too much if I was you. I would get two tanks made the same height especially if they are side by side in the wall. If it was on different walls it wouldn't bother me as much but with all your doing I think you'll kick yourself later if you don't do it right
Taking what you said into consideration, and so that way I get two identical tanks, I may look into getting two 8x30x3. I would get the 36 inch high ones but, I'll be saving a few grand getting the 30". Again, 30" will also probably be easier to work with.

crusso1993

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Taking what you said into consideration, and so that way I get two identical tanks, I may look into getting two 8x30x3. I would get the 36 inch high ones but, I'll be saving a few grand getting the 30". Again, 30" will also probably be easier to work with.
You know, if you go the "two tanks" route, and find one will be enough, I'll happily take one off your hands. I'm always helping others like this... :p

OP
Murica

Murica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
You know, if you go the "two tanks" route, and find one will be enough, I'll happily take one off your hands. I'm always helping others like this... [emoji14]
Haha, what state do you live in? Maybe I can give you my current tank at a discounted rate. I'm in nh.

OP
Murica

Murica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I Was thinking about the two tank sizes again. One concern, which is the most important one, is that buying two tanks would significantly limit what equipment I can get for the reef. The other concern is if I get a larger fowlr than what I have now, the more bigger fish aka bio load I'd have, making it more difficult for nutrient control.

I was thinking that the height difference would look a little off, but then I drew up a diagram and compared it to if I were to get two smaller, but same size tanks. End result is the two different size tanks didn't look bad at all, and it also makes the reef tank stand out more (with the fowlr just being an little extra somethin special on the side). I also feel that just getting the one larger tank is better anyway, because the whole focus of the build is for the reef tank portion.

Hopefully the grammar in this post isn't terrible... It's like two thirty in the morning haha.

Last edited:
https://www.omegasea.net/
OP
Murica

Murica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Sounds very much like the build I'm planning. What are the advantages of those stealth overflows versus other types?
Although the stealth boxes would work great, to save money I think I may ask them to drill two 2 inch holes for my bulkheads and overflows that I'll custom make with pvc, then probably 4 one inch holes for my return pumps. Lots of turnover rate.

I'm debating whether I should put the returns on one end of the tank, that way they'll act like a constant stream in the tank, or if I should put them the conventional way on the back wall. [emoji848] hmm

Luno

View Badges
Reaction score
Although the stealth boxes would work great, to save money I think I may ask them to drill two 2 inch holes for my bulkheads and overflows that I'll custom make with pvc, then probably 4 one inch holes for my return pumps. Lots of turnover rate.

I'm debating whether I should put the returns on one end of the tank, that way they'll act like a constant stream in the tank, or if I should put them the conventional way on the back wall. [emoji848] hmm
Upto you but linear flow isn't exactly what your after, I like to split returns into atleast 2 and helps me eliminate a tiny bit more of dead or low flow spots.

OP
Murica

Murica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Upto you but linear flow isn't exactly what your after, I like to split returns into atleast 2 and helps me eliminate a tiny bit more of dead or low flow spots.
Good point, spread out is probably the best way to go. With the returns on the back and my gyre 280's hopefully I'll get decent water movement throughout the tank.

Luno

View Badges
Reaction score
Good point, spread out is probably the best way to go. With the returns on the back and my gyre 280's hopefully I'll get decent water movement throughout the tank.
I haven't had the chance to use gyre's yet but I'm planning on doing the swap soon and I really like the way they work and the experiences everyone's had with them. They do an amazing job of creating water movement throughout the whole tank comparing to regular wave makers

OP
Murica

Murica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I haven't had the chance to use gyre's yet but I'm planning on doing the swap soon and I really like the way they work and the experiences everyone's had with them. They do an amazing job of creating water movement throughout the whole tank comparing to regular wave makers
I love them, they practically eliminate all dead zones. Some people complain that they don't function properly, but I personally feel that this is with the older models. Mine have worked great since the day I got them two or so years ago. I've cleaned them once and they still run as good as they did out of the box.

Best reef aquarium LED lighting

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
I was going to say some people have issues with them not having good flow after a while and have to clean them regularly.... but you proved that wrong in your case ;)

OP
Murica

Murica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I was going to say some people have issues with them not having good flow after a while and have to clean them regularly.... but you proved that wrong in your case ;)
I wonder if it's because I bought the largest size they offered at the time (at least what I saw). Maybe the larger motors are less prone to wear and tear.

Luno

View Badges
Reaction score
I love them, they practically eliminate all dead zones. Some people complain that they don't function properly, but I personally feel that this is with the older models. Mine have worked great since the day I got them two or so years ago. I've cleaned them once and they still run as good as they did out of the box.
I wonder if this is also due to a lower quality product. I have read some pretty bad reviews on the jebao ones compared to a maxspect?

OP
Murica

Murica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Mine are maxspects and they seem rock solid. I guess it comes down to a difference in opinion, like apex vs ghl. Some swear by one, while others are compete opposite.

Two vortex pumps are the same cost as two gyre 280's. Vortex are reliable but gyres cover a lot more area. All depends on what you're looking for.

Have you ever had an algae outbreak so bad that you had to break the tank down and start over?

• Yes

Votes: 100 18.1%
  • No

Votes: 388 70.2%
  • Having a major outbreak right now and I'm considering it

Votes: 43 7.8%
  • I've never had algae and my name is Pinocchio

Votes: 22 4.0%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors