Coral plus
True actinic
Blue plus
Blue plus
True actinic
Coral plus
Blue plus

The color looks great, but I stumbled across this bulb combo suggested by ati

From what I'm imagining in my head, this may provide better diversity in color. I know color combos with t5 are mainly subjective, but if anyone has this combo, or another to suggest, please share and/or send photos (i know most cameras distort the colors in some way).

dantimdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Adding the purple definitely has merit.

It will make colors pop more and help get into the very important 410-430nm range that many bulbs and light fixtures are lacking in.

After that, it's your call. I think their combo would look a little too blue for me but I bet it would grow coral like mad.

OP
Murica

Murica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Adding the purple definitely has merit.

It will make colors pop more and help get into the very important 410-430nm range that many bulbs and light fixtures are lacking in.

After that, it's your call. I think their combo would look a little too blue for me but I bet it would grow coral like mad.
Is the aqua blue special more on the white or blue side? Any benefit from these? I may just replace this with a coral plus which will eliminate lots of the blue tone.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Of the ati recommendations? That's good to know because I like the color of yours.
This is what I run. Aquatic Life Hybrid with ATI bulbs and 2 Hydra 26-HD.

b58324b123b3d772bd94774e8a54b8d0.jpg

OP
Murica

Murica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Well between apex and ghl, I was leaning towards apex. But now with the mindstream coming out, the only reason I would need the apex would be for the dos. Not sure if I'll get the apexel instead with the dos, or find a different auto water changing unit without getting an apex at all.

https://www.omegasea.net/
OP
Murica

Murica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I'm not an Apex fan, so my choice would be GHL or Mindstream but I don't like the $420/year aspect of Mindstream.
Yup not a good selling point for sure. If I do end up getting one, the way I see it is I wouldn't need to buy test kits or reagent for the trident, so the price would only be a little more expensive that what I would be spending anyway. I saw one of these in action when it was being beta tested, and the person running it said they loved it.. Granted they were also advertising it for sale.

OP
Murica

Murica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score

Anyone have one of these? I just got one in and it works great. I heard that the magnet can rust, but they're cheap enough whereas if it does I can just get another. Makes feeding super easy.

OP
Murica

Murica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
The fact that this build is so far out is absolutely killing me! Thank you all for your comments though, it's definitely helping me pick and choose the best route to go in regards to products, methods, etc.

I think one of the greatest parts of having a reef tank is sharing your experiences with others. If anyone else wishes to share their build on this thread, please do!

OP
Murica

Murica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Just went shopping around for algae scrubbers.. Wow are those things over priced. I have a DIY one now which consists of nothing more than a plastic rod, a fiberglass screen, and two 10 dollar grow lights, and it works great. Definitely going the DIY route with the new build. I saw one rated for 500 gallons at $1300!

What is the deciding factor(s) for why you choose the salt you use? Mulitple choice available!

• Price

Votes: 233 40.6%
  • Brand Loyality

Votes: 67 11.7%
  • Mixes Easy

Votes: 187 32.6%
  • Mixes Clean

Votes: 219 38.2%
  • Mixes to the right parameters

Votes: 349 60.8%
  • Easy to get

Votes: 169 29.4%