Jettareefer’s sps dominated planet rimless

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe my crash a couple of years ago was caused by chloramines and my water too, granted my filters were getting depleted prematurely and I wasn’t aware of the issue. Same thing happened: things began looking grey and then widespread death. It was over a matter of a few short weeks. I now change my pre filters every four months just in case.

Good luck and I hope you figure out what’s wrong, but I’d suspect something in the water too.

OP
OP
Jettareefer223

Jettareefer223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never fun to watch...
Been there, seen that...
Good luck at finding the root of your problems!
Keep the chin up!:)
Thanks I appreciate it! Trying my best just to stay calm and not mess with it to much I haven’t put my hands in there in 6 months I’m pretty good about leaving it be.

I have eliminated almost everything other then the water with certainty. As I had mentioned Immediately following the first time I replaced all 8 stages on the r/o and have done w/c’s with 4-5 different buckets of instant ocean. Most recently I did 50% w/c with distilled and I’m continuing top off with it as well things have gotten better.

-checked par numbers, and raised light 2” and turned led bar down 25%. Decrease day light period 8+ hours to 6 hrs. This yielded a great improvements in color. Did not help on going issues, and by no means thought it was anyways.

-checked for foreign objects

-checked all pumps for exposed wires/corrosion or wear on impellers.

-checked frag rack/ glass scraper magnets/tlf veggie clip/and anything else that has one.

-I cleaned my bubble trap sponge (hadn’t touched it 6 months).

-Removed everything else that isn’t absolutely necessary including maxspect bio spheres (4 sets), lingering cheato in the sump, snail shells, old ato I wasn’t using, and a nano Sicce syncra in the pump chamber to keep detritus stirred, but had been unplugged for 5-6 months, because snails kept completely clogging it.

-checked heater for moisture .

-verified my temperature (apex) against thermometer and it was in alignment.

-I’ve tested Alk, Cal, Mag, K, Salinity, no3. (I do this regularly. Alk I try to test daily and everything else once a week. Nothing’s off.

-Replaced dry cal chloride, soda ash, mag.

-There shouldn’t be stray voltage I don’t feel anything and I have grounding probe I made sure that wasn’t corroding to.

-Turned my skimmer way up. Also cleaned it and checked the pump as well.

-Added 1/4 cup of fresh Seachem’s matrix Carbon. (I have been on and off with interceptor treatments with the crashing).

Things that still need to happen.

-ICP test tank/RO samples

-Possibly trying a different salt

-Removed detrius from sump.

I’ve been vigorously trying to find the source due my upcoming move. I wanted to get everything really healthy to minimize problems during that. I had planned to rescape at that time and possibly removed/replace the sand bed since it will already be torn apart and emptied. If anyone can think of anything else or share experiences with chloramines with associated on going issues I would be thankful for your input.

OP
OP
Jettareefer223

Jettareefer223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crap! That's a lot of work.
Lol I know right I’m like extremely determined to sort this out. I’ll spend as much as I need to save my corals I don’t let monetary part of this trade/hobby get in the way. At the end of the day it’s expensive that’s a fact I’ve been comfortable with that. To me my collection/tank is priceless considering everything has a story, all the hard work/maintenance, along with the time and patience invested I quantify its value sentimentality.
At this point I’m almost immune to the work Involved and do it all on autopilot since I do this day in and day out running my business installing and servicing reef tanks. It definitely helps me from making excuse or being lazy.

OP
OP
Jettareefer223

Jettareefer223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe my crash a couple of years ago was caused by chloramines and my water too, granted my filters were getting depleted prematurely and I wasn’t aware of the issue. Same thing happened: things began looking grey and then widespread death. It was over a matter of a few short weeks. I now change my pre filters every four months just in case.

Good luck and I hope you figure out what’s wrong, but I’d suspect something in the water too.
Thanks for your input Titan! Nothing else fits the bill other then chloramines it corresponds with summer peak of high temperatures which is very reason the water treatment facilities use this awful gas because of it stability in heat and effective oxidation. With dyno blooms immediately after w/c’s i think it’s safe to say it product H2O from RODI. After almost 20 years doing this I do my research and go to great lengths to make sure I get the best products I started a factory 6 stage brs unit which I’ve added all 2 extra stages, dual membrane upgrade (pentek fine micron sediment filters x1, Aqua FX chloramine blasters refillable cartridges x3, Aqua FX membranes x2, brs bulk resin x2. At this point what gives if 3 catalytic Carbon stages depleted after 3 weeks? I use to use pentek chloramine blocks they get plugged up even fine micron sediment filters way to quickly and buying 3 would be $75. I’ve notice one thing my TDS never rises since chloramines are a gas logically that would make perfect sense. From the time I do a w/c using my ro water it’s not but I mean 3-4 hours the stn resumes, filaments instantaneously ,and the long term is discoloration tissue I pictured above. Even with topping off stuff would be in distress my tank has a high evap rate.There’s a sharp contrast with the corals some never flinche look great no sign of distress, some shoot a few filaments or other absolutely covered, some rtn within hours, others experience stn’ing happening on colonies only, and there with the tissue discolored (none have of these have stn). If were metals the onset would be much more gradual, and since I did the the big w/c along topping off with distilled water things improved. I think for the next 3-4 weeks it continue with distilled to see what happens.

My service clients I haven’t anything notable happen just mentioning this because I use my RO unit/ Instant ocean for both my personal tanks and the business. They all evaporate a lot less and I don’t do big w/c on them since most are weekly maybe 5 for every 50 gallons if that just vaccum the sand. All have acros/montis some have a lot, I store the water in three 50 gallon brute cans my thoughts since it’s not a air tight seal that the chloramone oxidize from the time it produced I rotate them so the water can sit for a few days and before it is actually used since it can aspirate with open air and the fact of lower overall amount of water introduced to the system. When do a w/c I make fresh water complete right after I mix it and top off fresh to for the most part that’s the big differences.

Sorry to write a novel, I just have to get it all out lol. I feel better now ;Dead

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jettareefer223

Jettareefer223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures from today looking ok the mille is still iffy.
A4990493-A8CD-4F95-B898-AF412269E3CB.jpeg

491809BC-DB3E-491F-B9B1-8F1D625788E8.jpeg
1D3C0AEA-802B-4523-83E0-AC7A4D70A726.jpeg

OP
OP
Jettareefer223

Jettareefer223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Continued I didn’t feel like messing with lights for good picture wasn’t in the mood lol.
80350337-48FB-45CA-AE9D-85931F197029.jpeg

So happy to see the WD be somewhat happy it had zero pe Wednesday then tisse what all irritated it’s at about 50% lost all the color gained lately. :confused:
F5881F54-E40D-445A-835C-F66633AD6417.jpeg

027A72A0-F6AA-4424-B0E8-D6CFB009ED4E.jpeg

BA007F94-2D1C-4883-8046-A62B1804A819.jpeg

Discoloration remains the bubbling’s down though.
56E7A185-2457-4131-9AF3-2F2BBA6ACAB8.jpeg

Route 66 mille still stn’ing very slowly I’m going to wait on pull the trigger as far as
cutting goes to minimize stress. Between the two arrows is what stn’d starting Wednesday evening to this morning. Before that below yellow line aiptasia had stung it when they were bad. The Tri color and miyagi haven’t gotten as far as I can tell the last 24 hours. Tank looks like poo. Just glad I caught it early again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jettareefer223

Jettareefer223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else willing to share chloramine disaster? And or maybe enlighteninf me of something I’m overlooking? Thanks in advanced! -Addison

OP
OP
Jettareefer223

Jettareefer223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that made a huge difference, and who wants to answer the obvious and rhetorical question for me on what it is? Lol :)
Before
E97062BA-5CF6-433C-92C6-886B08E18082.jpeg

After
8059FC35-8996-4830-A1F1-27F73DB76C30.jpeg

OP
OP
Jettareefer223

Jettareefer223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About the best picture of WWC kung pow I’ll ever get. The blue light color combo is cool in this one.
DFF9D473-14E4-4905-B994-5A7E8D0A376B.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jettareefer223

Jettareefer223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After struggling stn and the other tissue problem I’vebeen fighting with myself I’m breaking it down this weekend unfortunately. I’m undecided at this time whether or not I’m going to endure the pain and be a man save what I have left or start over. I’ll decide as I go it’s kinda of heartbreaking. Of course I’ll keep the Walt Disney, foxflame, validia, lps, soft corals and my fish since they’ve been with me forever. It’s a sad chapter in ready to close and move onward, you feel me guys and gals?

OP
OP
Jettareefer223

Jettareefer223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
say it aint so... just do a 100% WC and see whats up!

I’ve turned the tank over twice since we last talked some things improved overall nothing. Carbon had no impact and I switched back to fritz for all the w/c’s. I’ve checked everything :/. It’s bacterial I don’t think I can do anything to change it. I’m undecided tomorrow will hold the key it’s all really up in the air it’s a all or nothing type of deal. I have a master plan it’s major surgery. If that makes sense it’s 24 hours project up all night and praying to a higher power for mercy after that lol.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back