Jewelry box control panel and Red Sea Canopy build

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (DIY)' started by Phil DeCapua, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Phil DeCapua

Phil DeCapua Member

I hope I posted this right and in the correct place. Please educate me if I did something wrong. Just wanted to post what I have done so far for my tank. I will hopefully update this thread once that is finished and may do a full post in the aquariums thread to show my full system set up but these are my first 2 DIY projects I did

One was a 20 dollar jewelry wall cabinet from Amazon and some Velcro and cord covers.

The next was just a quick design to build a canopy that just helps block the radion from blinding me when I am watching TV on the couch, or looking at the tank. It is going to be painted white to match the stand and if that doesn't look right I will wrap it with satin white vinyl. Wood, glue, and screws cost about $25. The paint is another $5 and if the paint doesn't look good, the vinyl wrap will be about $20. So most it cost was $50 dollars and some sweat and patience.

Any suggestions or questions welcomed.

IMG_1910.JPG

IMG_1911.JPG

IMG_1912.JPG

IMG_1968.JPG

IMG_1972.JPG

IMG_1975.JPG

DixieReefer, Flippers4pups and Ranjib like this.

2. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Partner Member 2018 Partner Member 2019 North Alabama Reef Club

Looks great, love the idea!

Phil DeCapua likes this.
  3. Ranjib

Ranjib Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Looks awesome

Phil DeCapua likes this.
  4. nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel Indecision may or may not be my problem. R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

Looks awesome! I like how you used the jewelry box photo frames for actual photos! I would have probably filled it with coral pics, parameter cards, etc haha

Phil DeCapua likes this.
  5. Phil DeCapua

Phil DeCapua Member

I was going to do some coral pics but my gf said we needed to showcase the other animals in our lives lol

6. nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel Indecision may or may not be my problem. R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

I'm sure mine would say the same haha

What aquarium model is that?

Phil DeCapua likes this.
  7. Phil DeCapua

Phil DeCapua Member

It's the Red Sea Reefer 170. I have a very small apartment and this was the biggest I could go... for now lol... I may just get rid of my big couch and put some of those collapsible lawn chairs so I can get a big Tank and not have to wait until I move lol.

Today I just finished painting the canopy so I'll upload photos soon and added my gfo and carbon reactor and put another 20lbs of sand in so I have enough for a goby /shrimp pair

nautical_nathaniel likes this.
  8. Phil DeCapua

Phil DeCapua Member

Some canopy updates

IMG_1988.JPG

IMG_1989.JPG

9. miniChou

miniChou Member

Great canopy! I’m looking to build one for my Reefer 250 (white) too. What did you paint did you find to best match the white cabinet of your Reefer?

10. Aaron Gustafson

Aaron Gustafson Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I’m curious about the paint you chose too. Been looking for something to match the cabinet.

11. samnaz

samnaz Coral Nerd R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Do you have a link to the wall mounted jewelry box? I'm on the hunt for the perfect one but I haven't found one on amazon yet.

12. Fishy McFish

Fishy McFish Member R2R Supporter

That’s awesome. Does it get too hot?

13. drevalenz

drevalenz Member

Dang looks clean

Draft saved Draft deleted