JHunt's Rimless Landen 28.5g AIO

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarin dragonets are gorgeous. I'm too new to the hobby to risk going that route (I've read they are difficult to care for) but I wish you the best of luck! I also read they're partial for lower flows and a SPS dominant tank may stress them out. You've got your work cut out for you!

OP
OP
jhuntstl

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarin dragonets are gorgeous. I'm too new to the hobby to risk going that route (I've read they are difficult to care for) but I wish you the best of luck! I also read they're partial for lower flows and a SPS dominant tank may stress them out. You've got your work cut out for you!
Captive bred are much hardier from what I've read and most are frozen and/or pellet trained. I was not aware of the flow requirements, I do appreciate the heads up.

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna ask my LFS as well. I hadn't heard most are trained, that could make things much easier. Ive read it may be best to introduce a non-aggressive fish before clowns. So for my first fish, maybe I roll the die? More research is needed!

OP
OP
jhuntstl

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna ask my LFS as well. I hadn't heard most are trained, that could make things much easier. Ive read it may be best to introduce a non-aggressive fish before clowns. So for my first fish, maybe I roll the die? More research is needed!
Yup, I would do more research than I did into the order of aggression. A tiny mandarin at this point could be risky with the more aggressive six line, especially since they'd compete for pods. Thankfully my clown is a total sweetheart and seems to welcome any new addition.

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, I would do more research than I did into the order of aggression. A tiny mandarin at this point could be risky with the more aggressive six line, especially since they'd compete for pods. Thankfully my clown is a total sweetheart and seems to welcome any new addition.
I scanned your previous posts, but couldn't find mention of pods. Are you feeding copepods?

OP
OP
jhuntstl

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I scanned your previous posts, but couldn't find mention of pods. Are you feeding copepods?
Nope. I never specifically added them, but they're in the tank. I haven't seen an explosion in their population in a while. Before I got the six-line, I would often see them covering the glass.

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting. Any ideas how you got them considering you're using life rock? Hitch hiking on your coral?

OP
OP
jhuntstl

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back for an update.

ALK - 8.4
N03 - 2
PO4 - .02

All-For-Reef - 3ml/day
Live Phyto - 5ml/day
BeneReef - 1/8 tspn every other day
Reef Roids - when PO4 is low

Still doing my best to stabilize NO3 and PO4. I went a couple weeks stable at 5 NO3 and 0.07 PO4. I just fed heavy and tested skipping a WC. Didn't seem to have any adverse effects other than maybe a little more algae.

Since getting a fresh bottle of phyto and doing a 5 gallon WC on Friday, they have dropped a good amount(posted above). I dosed enough today to raise N by 1ppm and P by .01. I will feed heavy this week, test and evaluate if I want to maybe skip another WC or dose more Ns and Ps.

I'm seeing more coralline growth and some of SPS seem to be taking off! Especially the montis. To be expected, the red monticap is growing the fastest. Purple branching monti is showing a lot of new nubs. Green pocillopora is taking off, but I'm reading this is one SPS I should probably get rid of. Both stylos are still recovering and making good progress.

I'm looking into supplementing my Primes with a couple T5s. I'd like the tank lighting to have a fuller look, if that makes sense. I can already see shadowing now, so I can only imagine it will get worse in time. Not a huge priority, but if I can snag a good deal on some retrofits, I'll jump on it.

Seems like I have a bit of everything algae wise. Nothing is out of control. I can spot a few pieces of ulva if i look hard enough. There's been a few small clusters of bubble algae next to some zoas for a few weeks now. My GSP actually has some hair algae growing on it. There's usually a light dusting of red cyano(I think) on the sand and rocks. All in all though the tank seems pretty dang clean for it's young age.

I'm having a hard time telling if my Lawnmower Blenny is getting enough nutrition. I did get some seaweed sheets and wrapped it around a rock. He ignored it as far as I know. Left it out all night and it looked like the turbo snail devoured it. I'll give it another shot, but it made one heck of a mess in the tank.

Still procrastinating on backup options. =p

Last edited:

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update should require photos! :p

Excited for your SPS. Gives me confidence to maybe try it in the future.

You consider PO4 as a supplement to feeding the coral?

OP
OP
jhuntstl

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update should require photos! :p

Excited for your SPS. Gives me confidence to maybe try it in the future.

You consider PO4 as a supplement to feeding the coral?
Sorry! I tried, but my heavy blue spectrum wasn't lending to good photos today. I really REALLY need to get one those yellow or orange filters for my phone's camera or the dslr.

I am excited for the SPS as well. I also didn't expect coralline this early. I found some on one of my Nero pumps today and I got way too excited. =D

Whatever I'm doing seems to be working(for now), but it does sometimes feel like I'm walking a tight rope with these nutrients. I feel like the threat of dinos is lingering and ready to ruin everything. I'm actually kind of okay with my present collection of diverse pest algae in small amounts. I feel like that diversity could be a good barrier to prevent dinos. I actually read on here Ulva/Sea Lettuce might prevent dinos!

Yes, from my understanding nitrates and phosphates at appropriate levels are good nutrients for your coral.. A decade ago, I remember always trying to chase those numbers down. It's a lot different being in a situation where I'm having to dose for them! I don't want to manage an ULNS(Ultra Low Nutrient System). Based on my my research, I'd like to be in the 5-10 NO3, .05-.1 PO4 range.

As I said in my first post, I'm trying not have a heavy hand. No big changes and to try and stick with something if it seems to be working. But I do have a running list of things to potentially change.

1) Skimmer on a timer to raise nutrients
-I'd rather not cause I've noticed a PH increase when it's always on.

2) Dose phyto every other day(rather than everyday)
-this is probably not that drastic and will probably try soon. i think it might actually raise nutrients, but I might deal with more algae?

3) Get a doser for NeoNitro and NeoPhos
-this is expensive, more complex, and something I want to avoid

4) More fish!
- more fish poop, this will probably happen

I have to constantly remind myself that this is a very new, unstable tank. I'm going to deal with fluctuations and there doesn't need to be a solution for everything. I'm gonna have to ride the wave and do my best to not wipe out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jhuntstl

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sun was shining just right through my window and I was able to get some photos that aren't completely washed in blue. You can spot coralline in just about every photo, which I am totally diggin.

cameringo_20210719_175716.jpg

cameringo_20210719_175656.jpg
cameringo_20210719_175617.jpg

Red monticap showing solid growth.

cameringo_20210719_175633.jpg

Both this stylo and the birdsnest have been pretty slow to grow, but always look happy. I would love to see the birdsnest take off.

cameringo_20210719_175638.jpg

cameringo_20210719_175452.jpg

Lots of new nubs on this little branching monti! Moved him up higher and seems to be loving it.

cameringo_20210719_175548.jpg

Was knocking on deaths door not too long ago, but is rebounding quite nicely. Not seen from this angle, but the underside is still regrowing some flesh and polyps.

cameringo_20210719_175645.jpg

Purple polyped, green fleshed stylo that look quite the beating from an alk and/or nutrient swing. It's looking much better. At one point it lost just about all of it's green color. Some of it's tips have some algae, but it's receding more and more each week.

cameringo_20210719_175334.jpg

Red branching monti in back, green poci middle, and an unknown up front. Red monti has kinda faded lately and not showing polyps as much. Will likely move up higher. Poci was on the verge of death upon delivery, but has rebounded. The unknown has colored up quite a bit. It doesn't come through too well, but it's an interesting blend of dark blue and green.

Hope you enjoy the pics! Thanks for looking.

OP
OP
jhuntstl

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the full range of tests today to make sure my AFR dosing is on track.

PH - 8.0
ALK - 8.3
CA - 460
MAG - 1305
NO3 - 2
PO4 - .01

Looking good to me! Only at 3ml/day. With the amount of coralline I'm seeing popping up, I'm certain I'll steadily be increasing the dose. I suspect by next weekend, I'll increase by .5-1ml.

I did my regular weekly WC and sand bed cleaning. I think I will be sticking to this routine regardless of nutrient levels. Speaking of which...

Nutrients are still very low. I no longer fear dinos. I probably should, but I feel like if I was going to get them, it would have happened by now. Hell maybe I have them, but they're at an insignificant level. I do get a brown diatom/dino like dusting on my sand bed throughout the week. I still have very small amounts of ulva, bubble, hair, and a reddish brown turf looking algae on the rocks.

Should I be scared?
Good Luck Charlie Idk GIF

Top down and a couple side shots. I got some Orphek filters finally and I'd say they're worth the $25 so far.
PXL_20210724_175359366.MP.jpg

PXL_20210724_175700596.MP.jpg

Zoas and palys looking pretty upset. I don't think they're enjoying the low nutrients. They're also sharing a plug with some bubble algae. I will probably peroxide dip them next weekend.

PXL_20210724_175726087.MP.jpg

OP
OP
jhuntstl

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention I picked up an Eheim Auto Feeder today. I think it's going to be a lot easier keeping up my nutrient levels with a steady routine of pellet feedings per day. Should make for some fat and happy fish. Plus more fish poop for the coral! I am really interested to see how my Ns and Ps look by next weekend.

OP
OP
jhuntstl

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made some big changes.

About a week ago, I dropped BRS AB+ lighting schedule and switched to a custom schedule recommended by a friend. I was pretty reluctant to switch, but I'm glad I did. It's heavier blue which I like. Less intense UVs. Those primes are well known for melting reflectors running AB+. I'll be happy not to deal with that.

I added more flow. It started with a jebao ow-10 for $25 bucks, but then I found a crazy listing for 2 MP10wqd's for $200. I couldn't pass it up. One needs a new wet side, but I think I can probably fix it. I am currently using two Nero 3s and 1 MP10. I have them all running fairly low gph, but it's creating a much better random flow. I'll experiment with all 4 once I fix or get a new wet side.

I switched from frozen Rod's Food to frozen LRS Reef Frenzy. SA Hatchery Pellets to TDO Chromaboost.

I mentioned adding an auto feeder last post. I goofed up. Accidentally fed too many TDO pellets by hand before even getting the feeder setup. Spiked my PO4 up to .1 and bottomed out my nitrates. Been working to stabilize since. Thankfully no adverse effects to the coral. The feeder has been shelved for the time being.

I don't normally come home for lunch, but I did today. I was greeted with my tank looking pretty fantastic imo. There is a new addition. Green slimer!

PXL_20210804_174641983.MP.jpg

jiffyjhn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! I bought the same tank from amazon, but returned it and got a Fijicube, which has better dimensions for my pre-bought cabinet. Glad you can make this work.

Looks like you are running skimmer-less now. Any plan to add a skimmer?

OP
OP
jhuntstl

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! I bought the same tank from amazon, but returned it and got a Fijicube, which has better dimensions for my pre-bought cabinet. Glad you can make this work.

Looks like you are running skimmer-less now. Any plan to add a skimmer?
I'm very happy with the tank, but I do wish it was wider. The nano lagoons like the IM25 make for some really nice aquascapes. Which Fijicube did you get?

I snagged a Tunze DC 9004 for $100 locally a month or two ago. I did plan to go skimmerless, but I'm a sucker for a good deal.

what is it? looks like clam on a trochus snail?
Yup, some sort of bivalve.

jiffyjhn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm very happy with the tank, but I do wish it was wider. The nano lagoons like the IM25 make for some really nice aquascapes. Which Fijicube did you get?

I snagged a Tunze DC 9004 for $100 locally a month or two ago. I did plan to go skimmerless, but I'm a sucker for a good deal.

Yup, some sort of bivalve.
I got the Fijicube 32G AIO: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fijicube-32g-aio-build.839699/#post-9213420

Dimension-wise it is almost identical to the Landen 28G, but front to back it is deeper by 2 inches. also the back chambers are slightly narrower so that gives prolly another half inch of depth to the display area. Another thing I noticed is that Fijicube is quiet no matter what water level you set, whereas with the Landen I tried to tune out the water noise by adjusting water height, but could not eliminate the noise.

Same I planned to go skimmerless(for low noise build) but there was a sale for icecap Skimmer so I bought one

I bought some zoas once and it came on a clam. you can see the clam opening:

Last edited:

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back