Jimi the Six Line Wrasse was not as nice as I thought

nigeldcat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Six Line Wrasse that I have had for over 10 years in my 150G tank passed a couple of weeks ago. While he "seemed" to be the model citizen, I am beginning to think he was not. I caught him chasing my Midas Blenny a couple of times, but they were both active together and they coexisted for years and as soon as feeder went off would share the food. Now that Jimi is gone all my remaining fish, including the blenny, seem more explorative. The Eibli Angel is out in the open more and the Blenny is as well. Even the Rabbitfish seems less timid and seems to be more active. That Six Line duped me and was really the bully that people make them out to be. Here is an image when he was moved to display tank in Dec. 2011 a month after it was set up.

IMG_2350.JPG

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
While mine is a model citizen, some are like damsels- you love them then learn to hate them

OP
OP
nigeldcat

nigeldcat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While mine is a model citizen, some are like damsels- you love them then learn to hate them
Yea, I thought Jimi was a model citizen for over ten years too, but his tank mates seem much happier now that he has passed. He dominated more than I thought, and now that the dictator is gone, the subjects are much happier.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think you can really say any six lines are model citizens as bullying can occur behind your back. Unless you know it definitely isn’t (Either from a video where you’ve left the room or if you’ve walked into a room in the opposite side to where the tank is).

Although, I do try to not be overly judgemental with six lines (I’ve kept 2 in the past in personal tanks and countless in an LFS) as I have had them being model citizens even till death. Also, I do have my own wrasse that’s a bad one for aggression being much more peaceful than people say they are - Halichoeres chloropterus.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I don’t think you can really say any six lines are model citizens as bullying can occur behind your back. Unless you know it definitely isn’t (Either from a video where you’ve left the room or if you’ve walked into a room in the opposite side to where the tank is).

Although, I do try to not be overly judgemental with six lines (I’ve kept 2 in the past in personal tanks and countless in an LFS) as I have had them being model citizens even till death. Also, I do have my own wrasse that’s a bad one for aggression being much more peaceful than people say they are - Halichoeres chloropterus.
8 years and it hides from my fish. Really comes out when I feed and goes back in its crevice. Having these fish for years and injury free, yes I can say model citizen. I have members of local club also with these fish who have no issues although one gal gal refers to it as the devil from hell

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 years and it hides from my fish. Really comes out when I feed and goes back in its crevice. Having these fish for years and injury free, yes I can say model citizen. I have members of local club also with these fish who have no issues although one gal gal refers to it as the devil from hell
I miscalculated, I have had 3-4 sixlines be model citizens in my tanks. Much of it is due to the setup being more rock than there is the back of the tank.

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had pretty good luck with all my fish being fairly friendly.. except 6 lines. To me, the six line stereotype is definitely true.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 62 84.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.1%
Back