jobs that work with aquariums

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are some jobs that relate to aquariums, i could get into a college on scholarship but i am considering being an electrican also. are there any good jobs that combine general engineering and aquacultural engineering, wether it be growing macroalgae or raising fish?

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'd pick an interest and then start your own company. maybe learn the trade (eg working with acrylic)... then go out and make all the things we reefers want that no one will make well or affordable!

on a side note.. I doubt there will be too many wealth building roles in the reef trade unless you're the owner. . . just depends what you want out of it.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything aquarium related would be near minimum wage or on a volunteer basis. LFSs, public aquariums, aquarium service companies, marine research close to the ocean, working for a master tank builder

Not a whole lot of opportunities bc the industry is so small. Only 750,000 ppl in the US that are into saltwater...which is 2% of the population

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i thought the same thing a half century ago....at that time there were no undergraduate marine bio courses...you had to first get a degree in biology (same as becoming a doctor) then take marine bio in grad school...and jobs in the industry were virtually nonexistant....i can only hope things have improved since then...i wound up a mechanic...so do your research

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m addition to doing a job you love, I’d add just because you love aquariums, doesn’t mean you’d enjoy the job. That’s what ended up burning me out years ago was working for an LFS.

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m addition to doing a job you love, I’d add just because you love aquariums, doesn’t mean you’d enjoy the job. That’s what ended up burning me out years ago was working for an LFS.
Great point! I started out in the restaurant business because I loved cooking, 15 years later I was done with it and cooking is just a chore now. Hobbies are only hobbies until they become a job, then they're just work.

Sshannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have worked, interned and volunteered at several zoos and aquariums throughout my career and I have a B.S. in Coastal Biology. Aquarists and zookeepers do not make a sustainable living, look up salaries on glassdoor.com for any aquarium or zoo and you will see how bad they have it. However, the engineers, Aquatic Life Support Operators, and water quality technicians do make considerably more money. That said, pursue a degree related to waste water, engineering, HVAC, or electrical if you want to go this route. If you really want to learn more, the 2021 annual conference called AALSO (Aquatic Animal Life Support Operators Symposium) is a great place to start and learn hard skills. This year it is in Pittsburgh in October, and next year is in New Mexico. I will be there :)

Another place to check out is the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA) job board. https://www.aza.org/jobs

Here is a link to a job board for AALSO. http://www.new.aalso.org/job-postings

If you have other zoo and aquarium questions, let me know.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are some jobs that relate to aquariums, i could get into a college on scholarship but i am considering being an electrican also. are there any good jobs that combine general engineering and aquacultural engineering, wether it be growing macroalgae or raising fish?
Look into Aquaculture and Fisheries.

Practically every state has at least one state or federal hatchery raising whatever, trout, salmon, bass, endangered fishes. These jobs pay enough to function in society IME. Sometimes you can volunteer or do a summer job at these places for experience. Many of these facilities have maintenance positions which focus electrical/mechanical trades.

Then there is the private sector raising whatever, food fish, shellfish, algae, ornamentals.

A Bachelor of Science is probably needed to get your foot in the door post graduation.

My boss went to Purdue University and he really liked it. He's worked in Alaska, Indiana and currently Vermont all hatchery positions.

For me I did the same, worked several hatchery positions, sure I don't make over $80,000 at a bottom position, but my quality of live is pretty nice where I live.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my two cents: even the most fun job is still work. I'm a scientist and I love marine ecology, but I protect my love of coral reefs from my professional interests because every job....even the jobs you're most passionate about...become a chore.

To echo what others have said, I suggest that you get a decent salary doing something that pays reasonably well and just enjoy your home tank.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a whole lot of opportunities bc the industry is so small. Only 750,000 ppl in the US that are into saltwater...which is 2% of the population
It's closer to .2% of the population in the US assuming your 750,000 is correct.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my two cents: even the most fun job is still work. I'm a scientist and I love marine ecology, but I protect my love of coral reefs from my professional interests because every job....even the jobs you're most passionate about...become a chore.

To echo what others have said, I suggest that you get a decent salary doing something that pays reasonably well and just enjoy your home tank.
I couldn't agree more. I would never want to mix work with my hobby.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.6%
Back