Jobsafish Reef Mk III - D-D Reef Pro 1200

Jobsafish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll start by saying that, in the past, I have been really bad at keeping a Build Thread going - but I'm going to try and be better this time.

RESERVED FOR FTS

For the past couple of years I've been running an Evolution Aqua Reef Pro 900 that I picked up second-hand, as a complete set up, for a bargain price. I made some good progress in the hobby with this tank, but I really wanted a 4 foot tank to accommodate a Yellow Tang.

So, towards the middle of January my wife (who tolerates my hobby) starts asking questions about my tank; what do I like, what don't I like, what would I change etc. We have a pretty lengthy discussion about the merits of the various tank manufacturers setups and then the week before my birthday, this arrives.....

Crated Tank.jpg

So I have an early 40th birthday present outside my house (about 2 years early, as I was only turning 38!). Turns out my wife had been considering an upgrade for my 40th, but with lockdowns happening and no holidays last year she had the money now.

OP
OP
Jobsafish

Jobsafish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I mentioned I was bad at build threads, I'm even worse at taking photos while setting up new tanks. Anyway, Saturday morning (30/01/21) comes and it's all-hands-on-deck to get the old tank emptied and the new one up and running. We're in lockdown, so the only help I've got is in the house with me; my wife, my daughter (9) and son (5), oh and Roxy the Labrador (who was next to useless it turned out).

I managed to snap this photo of rare fish during the move (you get a glimpse of the organised chaos in the reflection):

Jack in Tank.jpg

Everything went reasonably well, with no losses and at the end of the day we ended up with this:
Tank and Cabinet 30-01-21.jpg

OP
OP
Jobsafish

Jobsafish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mentioned in my first post, that the main reason for getting a 4 foot tank was to get a Yellow Tang. Yeah, the tank arrived on the day I saw the Reef Builders article about the Hawaii ban. :rolleyes:

Fast forward a week to 6/02/21 and I have to go to my LFS to stock up on frozen food and they have 4 Yellow Tangs available!! I brace myself when I ask the price, but they're still charging pre-ban prices. The owner says he making his usual profit margin, so he'd rather look after his customers - top guy.

This is Bubbles:
Bubbles - Yellow Tang (2).jpg

OP
OP
Jobsafish

Jobsafish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s settled in really well thanks. Gets on well with my Blue Eyed Kole Tang and hangs out with my Wrasse quite a lot.

carameldoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great to hear. What do you think of the D-D 1200? Would love an update on your tank!
I'm in the planning stages of my first reef and am pretty set on the 1200.

OP
OP
Jobsafish

Jobsafish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great to hear. What do you think of the D-D 1200? Would love an update on your tank!
I'm in the planning stages of my first reef and am pretty set on the 1200.
I'll try to get some photos posted in the next couple of days. Apart from higher phosphate than I'd like, everything is going ok. I love the dimensions of the display tank and the space in the cabinet gives brilliant access to the sump and equipment.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 37.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back