• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Joe Knows Reefs chalice Growout

Cassklar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance of getting a picture update would really like to see how they are looking
Thanks

OP
OP
jerwin

jerwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys

Just an update on everything. So as I can tell everything seems to have become stable. I believe I have stop the recession on the coral but it is very hard to tell 100%. Tomorrow will be a slower day at work so I will get all the pictures taken and posted.

Sorry just been busy with work, family and tryiing to take care of 3 tanks, feed corals and trying to get a new 180 display tank built.

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics please?

We would really like a nice top down shot of how all the corals are looking.

The last picture of the Atom Bomb is huge and I am curious to see if any new eyes popped out.

OP
OP
jerwin

jerwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update. I believe the coral resession has stopped. I think it is just going to take a little time for everything to recover. I am planning to get a emeral crab and a couple of snails for the tank to help with the aglea now that everything seem to be more stable. I can see the corals are starting to look puffy again. So I think things are doing better.

Rack City
IMG_0602a.jpg

Fireballa
IMG_0607a.jpg

Cosmic Wonderland
IMG_0608a.jpg

Dynamite
IMG_0610a.jpg

Flash Bomb
IMG_0613a.jpg

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the updated pictures.

I'm surprised how much the Atom Bomb receeded. I really thought it would have covered the frag plug by now.

Did this all happen when you left town?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Reef2Reef Aquarium Forum mobile app

robsreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow this is sad.... this grow out was going so good too hope it turns around for the better good luck .....it might be a good idea to move things to a friends tank until you can get things under control just my thoughts

Sent from my LG-P999 using Reef2Reef Aquarium Forum mobile app

weaponsofmassdesign

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has moved them to a different tank by themselves. Those pics look great compared to what I saw a little over a week ago which they still looked better in the new tank at that time. You can tell there's been a lot of recession on a few but I think they will bounce back fairly quickly.

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The frag discs don't look too good, there is too much algae and bubble algae all over it...almost like it was neglected for a while.

I'll ask again. Did all this happen while you were out of town?

Weren't there supposed to be two other reefers watching over all your aquariums?

OP
OP
jerwin

jerwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe this happen because of a batch of instant ocean salt had way to high specs and with me doing 5 to 10 gallon water changes weekly. The Calcium was 600. I have since switch salts from Instant Ocean to Tropic Marin. Then I can add just what I need to keep everything in check. The guys watching the tank did what was asked of them so there is no fault in there.

yes there is some algae on the frag plugs. I had turned on the white lights on the frag for a couple of days in a row and probably had them on to long and it grew the algae. The pictures magnify everything. It is just a light algae on the plugs. I just put some snails and one emerald crab in to help with the algae issues.

Trust me the frags have not been neglected. They are small so it is hard to tell when something has changed and takes a couple of days to tell anything and they can not really tell you what is wrong with them.

OP
OP
jerwin

jerwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been feeding them every 3 days and dipping every 3 day (alternating between Coral RX and Revive) doing 2 gallons of water change ever 5 days I woke up this morning to see a number of the corals receeding again. I talk to my friend Rayzback and I have moved the worst ones to this tank to see if it makes any differences. I am at a lost of why they are just not doing any better in a perfect tank. I am open to suggestions what to do next.

Dynamite (bad shape Rayzback tank)
Flash bomb (bad shape Rayzback tank)
Atom Bomb (bad shape Rayzback tank)
Merlin ( OK my tank)
Firebella (bad shape Rayzback tank)
Cosmic Wonderland (Great my tank)
Rack City (OK my tank)

aautio1004

newbie in training
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ouch....well it happens man. keep on trying and hopefully they will spring back for us :) Just keep us posted on any changes, good or bad, and pics would b great... even if just to show the loss of tissue. Thanks Jim, and keep up the good fight man

caudill187

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah growouts !!! I lost a few key pieces in one I am growing now. Just do your best man. There is only so much that is under your control.

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jerwin, I know you are no longer the grower, but can you contact Rayzback and take pictures of our chalices?

I'm sure everyone in the growout would appreciate seeing updated pictures.

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to thank Rayzback for assisting us all and to try and get all 4 frags healthy and growing again.

According to the pictures, I have to admit, the chalices don't look good, but atleast they are alive.

Atom Bomb

Jan 31
Atom Bomb Jan 31.jpg

Feb 12
Atom Bomb Feb 24.jpg

Feb 24
Atom Bomb Feb 12.jpg

Flashbomb

Jan 31
Flash Bomb Jan 31.jpg

Feb 24
Flash Bomb Feb 24.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back