JOE'S SUMMER STORM FLASH SALE!!! - Monday June 6th - 8pm-12am - OFFICIAL THREAD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Nate Chalk

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
@Joe Knows Reefs package made it, little later than fedex had . But things look pretty good , little stressed.

the double vaccum seal is clutch. Havent seen that before.

temps seemed good

frag rack and fts and acros just because, almost got the orange creamsicle acro off you

Attachments

• FCFCCA7F-05DC-4996-8351-FED98CC79E21.jpeg
    FCFCCA7F-05DC-4996-8351-FED98CC79E21.jpeg
    107 KB · Views: 15
  • 3DF746FC-40B4-4119-9E3D-72C3AB2A01EB.jpeg
    3DF746FC-40B4-4119-9E3D-72C3AB2A01EB.jpeg
    121.6 KB · Views: 13
  • A962179F-644E-4625-BA7C-B887A7D557F8.jpeg
    A962179F-644E-4625-BA7C-B887A7D557F8.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 50AA3DF4-FF96-437B-BDB8-58EAE999165B.jpeg
    50AA3DF4-FF96-437B-BDB8-58EAE999165B.jpeg
    93.1 KB · Views: 15
OP
Joe Knows Reefs

Joe Knows Reefs

Aquaculturist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
@Joe Knows Reefs package made it, little later than fedex had . But things look pretty good , little stressed.

the double vaccum seal is clutch. Havent seen that before.

temps seemed good

frag rack and fts and acros just because, almost got the orange creamsicle acro off you
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!!!!! I think we were both sweatin' this one with temps on both sides well into the 90s!
But, that's exactly why we've been trying to pack and drop boxes as late as possible...to minimize time in the bag AND to minimize temperature fluctuations.

A small (but long) FYI for anyone out there with little to no shipping experience, and even for the self proclaimed experts (I'm a newb and always will be at heart...I hope!). In the hot summer months like these, every box we send out has to have an ice pack or even two or three at times. If we pack a box and throw in the 2 ice packs that it is going to need at 7 or 9 or 11pm tonight, and then drop it off at a temp controlled location at say 2pm, then from 2pm until probably 9pm it will likely remain in a temp controlled environment. That spells trouble, as we would then be icing down the corals and make the water too cold and they start to degrade before even leaving our area.

Another alternative? Let a Fedex driver pick them up from our location, in a window from 1-6pm....yes, a 5 hour window. Typically our normal driver arrives around 4, temp drivers around 1. We've had a temp driver for the past 2 weeks, and I don't recall seeing the same one more than twice. A different driver almost daily, BUT they consistently show up around 1. So, pack the boxes, let FedEx pick them up at 1. All good right? WRONG RHONDA!!! These boxes would now sit in the back of a hot hot van, being bumped and jumped around for the next 7 or so hours while the driver runs a full route and gets back to the station around 8 or 9pm. Now, the icepacks were needed during the drive...it got so hot in there, the ice packs melted away or they just weren't enough for that heat. Now, it's 9pm and still 90 here in Charleston. The Fedex containers are sitting on a hot tarmac with hot jet engines blowing hot air around them. Wait, we had ice packs in there earlier...but they're all melted now! Water temps are pushing 85-90 and corals start degrading... Now what do we do? What's the other option??

We do what we've been trying to do....packing later in the afternoon and catching the last 7pm pickup at a location about 30 minutes into town. It's the only safe way we can do it with these temperatures. Our heat index is around 110 every day this week. When you get your package, take the water temp with a reliable device if possible. If water temps are at an extreme, DO NOT RUSH to bring the temps back down. Do it slowly...just float the bags as you normally would, although to make sure there are no lights creating a greenhouse effect inside the bags. I always try to float in the sump or somewhere away from any heat source including lights and heaters and even return pumps.

If you have any issues or problems with your shipment, PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE TO CALL OR TEXT!!
843-224-1776

Thank you!
Joe

JamesdaReefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!!!!! I think we were both sweatin' this one with temps on both sides well into the 90s!
But, that's exactly why we've been trying to pack and drop boxes as late as possible...to minimize time in the bag AND to minimize temperature fluctuations.

A small (but long) FYI for anyone out there with little to no shipping experience, and even for the self proclaimed experts (I'm a newb and always will be at heart...I hope!). In the hot summer months like these, every box we send out has to have an ice pack or even two or three at times. If we pack a box and throw in the 2 ice packs that it is going to need at 7 or 9 or 11pm tonight, and then drop it off at a temp controlled location at say 2pm, then from 2pm until probably 9pm it will likely remain in a temp controlled environment. That spells trouble, as we would then be icing down the corals and make the water too cold and they start to degrade before even leaving our area.

Another alternative? Let a Fedex driver pick them up from our location, in a window from 1-6pm....yes, a 5 hour window. Typically our normal driver arrives around 4, temp drivers around 1. We've had a temp driver for the past 2 weeks, and I don't recall seeing the same one more than twice. A different driver almost daily, BUT they consistently show up around 1. So, pack the boxes, let FedEx pick them up at 1. All good right? WRONG RHONDA!!! These boxes would now sit in the back of a hot hot van, being bumped and jumped around for the next 7 or so hours while the driver runs a full route and gets back to the station around 8 or 9pm. Now, the icepacks were needed during the drive...it got so hot in there, the ice packs melted away or they just weren't enough for that heat. Now, it's 9pm and still 90 here in Charleston. The Fedex containers are sitting on a hot tarmac with hot jet engines blowing hot air around them. Wait, we had ice packs in there earlier...but they're all melted now! Water temps are pushing 85-90 and corals start degrading... Now what do we do? What's the other option??

We do what we've been trying to do....packing later in the afternoon and catching the last 7pm pickup at a location about 30 minutes into town. It's the only safe way we can do it with these temperatures. Our heat index is around 110 every day this week. When you get your package, take the water temp with a reliable device if possible. If water temps are at an extreme, DO NOT RUSH to bring the temps back down. Do it slowly...just float the bags as you normally would, although to make sure there are no lights creating a greenhouse effect inside the bags. I always try to float in the sump or somewhere away from any heat source including lights and heaters and even return pumps.

If you have any issues or problems with your shipment, PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE TO CALL OR TEXT!!
843-224-1776

Thank you!
Joe
Could you not avoid the truck issues altogether and just drop the packages off at a main hub?
Asking Hasan Minhaj GIF by Patriot Act

Swede Reef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I just got my corals, temp outside is 98+ and heat index pushing 110F. Corals seem to be ticked but should be fine. Water was still 77-78 F and ice pack melted... FedEx was 2 hours late as usual. So yes, Great packing job!

@Joe Knows Reefs
We picked the hottest day(Atlanta, Ga) so far this year and it looks like everyone will be fine.

OP
Joe Knows Reefs

Joe Knows Reefs

Aquaculturist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Could you not avoid the truck issues altogether and just drop the packages off at a main hub?
Asking Hasan Minhaj GIF by Patriot Act

Great question, thank you! For anyone wondering, this "main hub" referenced is the location at which a particular region's packages are sent out of or into. They're typically only found in larger cities and some cities actually have 2 or more hubs!! I believe every hub, or at least most, are capable of providing most of the services offered by FedEx. They're also the "last stop" for packages before they leave the origin area. Typically they're flown on a FedEx plane to Memphis TN. That is where the main FedEx hub is. And it's HUGE!!! From there if flies to the destination region and lands at _____ You guessed it, YOUR regional hub. It is then sorted and loaded on to a delivery truck to be delivered by noon (used to be 10:30am), or at least delivered that day before end of business.

So that is our "emergency plan" if for some reason we are late to the 7pm dropoff OR, if something unusual or crazy happens (which we would need to be aware of with enough time to spare). Our main hub, which is the only hub within 100 miles, has a cutoff time of 7:45pm vs 7:00pm at our current location. It is also a little bit of a haul from our "Coral Lab" location to the hub. It is a one way distance of around 40-45 minutes drive time, with the roundtrip amounting to about 1.5hrs .

With that said, we do try to avoid dropping there unless completely necessary, which we have done multiple multiple times over the years. And I'm highly confident in saying that we WILL have to do it again, multiple multiple times over the coming years

I hope everyone is enjoying their corals so far. Got a few more going out tomorrow and some arriving tomorrow. Thank you to those who have posted pics and/or your compliments! Now, for the rest of you, show us your beautiful pictures!!!

THANK YOUUUUU!

Joe

OP
Joe Knows Reefs

Joe Knows Reefs

Aquaculturist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I just got my corals, temp outside is 98+ and heat index pushing 110F. Corals seem to be ticked but should be fine. Water was still 77-78 F and ice pack melted... FedEx was 2 hours late as usual. So yes, Great packing job!

@Joe Knows Reefs
We picked the hottest day(Atlanta, Ga) so far this year and it looks like everyone will be fine.
Thank you for the feedback E! This heat wave seems to have no end in sight with highs this week flirting with 100+ on several days. With those temps plus humidity we'll be seeing heat indexe climbing up to and even past 115. We've been pretty much doubling up on ice packs and adding a lot of packing paper to insulate and help spread the cooler temps emanating from the ice packs.

If you're receiving livestock this week from ANYWHERE, I do suggest looking into having your box held at the closest FedEx Hub IF feasible. Steer clear of Walgreens, Dollar Generals, and even most FedEx Office locations and use ONLY a FedEx staffed hub/facility to have your package held at if at all possible.

If that is not an option, definitely try to be home for delivery. If you cannot be home, PUT A NOTE ON YOUR DOOR or wherever packages are normally placed at when you're not home. I've found most drivers, when kindly asked, don't mind sticking a package in the shade under the porch steps or on the back porch in the shade etc. They probably see that perishable label/sticker on the side of your box and don't want to be held responsible for leaving in the scorching sun at peak heat hours.

I've heard from several of you about how happy you are with your new corals. PLEASE, share with us! Pics are awesome but not 100% necessary :)

Happy Father's Day to all you Dads out there. Keep up the good work! Also, don't forget why you get a coffee cup and handmade card in notebook paper and why the Moms get showered with multiple gifts, breakfast in bed, manicure vouchers, diamonds and more....

BECAUSE MOMS MAKE LITTLE HUMANS INSIDE THEIR BODY!!! AND THEN....AND THEN...AND THEN THEY GO THROUGH WHAT IS WIDELY CONSIDERED THE MOST PAINFUL EXPERIENCE ON EARTH TO DELIVER THAT LITTLE HUMAN INTO THE WORLD

RFAfanatic

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
First time ordering from Joe Knows Reefs. Items were extremely well packaged (double vacuum sealed) and everything arrived looking healthy and very clean. Hammers and the ”sick” frogspawn are exactly as advertised - picture does not do them justice. In the QT now then will move most to the hammer farm! Thanks Joe!

73D38016-053A-4F85-9169-7FD82E441DEA.jpeg

OP
Joe Knows Reefs

Joe Knows Reefs

Aquaculturist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
New.png

Thank YOUUUUU!!
The kind words are much appreciated! It just so happens that we just updated the website with some NEW WYSIWYG CORALS!

We have a little bit of everything for all taste bud

Click the following link to see New Arrivals.

https://www.joeknowsreefs.com/new-arrivals/

New.png

First time ordering from Joe Knows Reefs. Items were extremely well packaged (double vacuum sealed) and everything arrived looking healthy and very clean. Hammers and the ”sick” frogspawn are exactly as advertised - picture does not do them justice. In the QT now then will move most to the hammer farm! Thanks Joe!

73D38016-053A-4F85-9169-7FD82E441DEA.jpeg

BMF signature corals