Johnny_Reefer Waterbox Marine X 60.2

Johnny_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the adventure begins for real...

Story. Always loved the ocean. PADI certified in 1980. Only one saltwater tank almost 30 years ago. So does not count.

Have been researching this for over 2 years and as difficult as it may be I will exercise patience and will not panic.

Live in a small 1 bedroom condo in the GTA. No option for decent water so almost gave up. Got the RODI Buddy so thought I would be able to make 0 TDS water for $130! After I got it, I found out my condo sink was not 'normal' so $300+ later and a half dozen visits to Lowes, Home Depot I finally found a local plumbing store and figured it out... $$$ WOW

I'm an IT guy and want as much automation as possible. On the other note, I need to learn. I have so many questions and not a lot of resources. I'm great at YouTube and have seen it all from BRS... which is helpful but... Watched a lot of Dr Tim and Lou Ekus and have a general understanding. How to put it all together successfully is where I'm LOST. How to plumb and wire :confused:

Most equipment has arrived:
ManufacturerModelType
EchotechVectra S2Pump
EchotechXR15 BlueLighting
InkbirdInkbird ITC-308-WIFIHeater
FinnexFinnex TH-0300S HeaterHeater
Bubble MagnusCurve 5 Elite Protein SkimmerSkimmer
CaribseaFlatz 5lbOther
Tropic MarinTropic Marin Pro Reef Salt Bucket 200galMaintenance
SeachemSeachem CoralCrete Epoxy Adhesive Purple - 4ozOther
OtherFlipper Standard FLOAT 2 in 1 Magnetic Aquarium Algae Cleaner - Up to 1/2" (12MM)Maintenance
TunzeTunze Nano Osmolator 3152 ATOPump
Aqua illuminationNero 5 1 too startPump
SeneyeSeneye Reef - for cycle and PAR will go to APEXTesting
Dr Tim'sDr. Tim's One and OnlyOther
Dr Tim'sAmmonium ChlorideOther
WaterboxMarine X 60.2Tank
CaribseaCaribSea Liferock Base Rock - 20 LBSOther
CaribseaCaribSea LifeRock Shapes Arches / Tunnels - 20 LBSOther
AquaticLifeRODI BuddyMaintenance
HM DigitalTDS-3Testing
AZPen Type Salinity & Temperature MeterMaintenance
PythonPython Products Pro-Clean Gravel Washer and Siphon with Squeeze - LargeMaintenance
OtherCoralife Aqua Gloves 1 PairMaintenance
OtherPawfly 400 GPH Submersible Water Pump 25W Quiet Pump - salt mixMaintenance
OtherSalinity Refractometer for Seawater and Marine Fishkeeping Aquarium 0-100 PPT with Automatic Temperature CompensationMaintenance
BRSBRS Super GlueMaintenance
OtherBRS Insta SetMaintenance

Added a KILR 4 and the S2 barb kit. I will be missing things for the plumbing this weekend. What other kind of adapters, clamps, etc. needed? Do I or should I hard plumb? I'm trying to make sure I do not need to ever redo the SUMP. Not much room but should I add a UV or Ractor of some kind now???

Again it's getting real.

Johnny_Reefer

Next post AQUA Scape - More help needed!

OP
OP
Johnny_Reefer

Johnny_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AQUA Scape - I ordered the suggested 40LBS from Waterbox. 1 X 20LBS Shapes and 1 X 20LBS Base. Too much for the tank! Why tank VOL is not 60.2 but more like 55'ish?? Have not filled yet. I can hardly fit 25LBS and feel like it's too much.

PICTURES:

Green tape is glass.
Yellow is hopefully enough space for cleaning.
RED Level - between the green tape is the bottom of the Weir and the top of the tank.

Angles are wacky

Front:
front.jpg

Full Front:
full-front.jpg

Right side - Hall:
hall-side.jpg

Overhead:
overhead.jpg

Underneath on the front left cave you will see 2 FLATZ rocks, keeping the cave above the 1" Caribsea Pink that will go in. Should I use this for elevation? This now consists of 20LBS of Shapes and 5LBS of FLATZ. Seem like the tank is full and I almost want to remove some. I now I need the media and feel like as much as I would like a more NSA Scape I need the media as I have NO room in the sump for anything else :eek:...

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice! welcome to reefing! you're gonna love it. and to be honest hate it sometimes too...lol

great tank you have there i almost got one this BF from them as well but when with the 2" short and clear silicone of the clear 2420 as I want to play with planted FW tanks along with mu reef.

anyway. I would consider the BRS mini reactor for carbon/GFO . looks like you are off to a great start.

as far as scape just make sure you like it once glued then well your SOL..
think about both fish and corals when making the scape. trust me yours is 1000X better then my 1st one was back in the day...oh the days of a rock wall....

have fun!

OP
OP
Johnny_Reefer

Johnny_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really close to starting. All equipment in. Added Apex EL and LDK, IM Medium Reactor. Tank has been leveled and leak tested.

Aqua scape is done but I'm having second thoughts. Is it too much rock? Too high?? I like it but concerned with long term space.

Currently mixing RODI with Fauna Marin. Can I start filling the tank with saltwater slowly over a few days? In a condo limited space for water storage. Have 1x20G Rubbermaid and 3x5G Lowes pails. I have to leave for 3 days on Friday for New Years. Can fill the tank with sand, rock and water and let it sit for 3 days? If so with heater and return pump on or off.

I will be cycling with Dr. Tim's One and Only and Ammonium Chloride. Can that start before I leave for 3 days?

Or just be patient and start all of this after I get home...

tank1.jpg
front-a.jpg
side.jpg
top.jpg

Luke B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What corals are you planning on keeping?
If you plan your scape around the needs ( lighting, flow requirement, growth patterns ) of your corals, then you won’t have any issues long term.

OP
OP
Johnny_Reefer

Johnny_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What corals are you planning on keeping?
If you plan your scape around the needs ( lighting, flow requirement, growth patterns ) of your corals, then you won’t have any issues long term.
Bit of a struggle as a first time reefer :) wasn't thinking of SPS at all but I'm planning for all options. Will be taking it slow an not just adding to add...

OP
OP
Johnny_Reefer

Johnny_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we are now up and running, cycle complete! Getting things fine tuned. Not sure how to take pictures yet...

Got 2 clowns on Wednesday and they are happy and eating. Larger is 1-1/2" and the small isn't quite an inch.
1642233847704.jpeg

Started the skimmer running regularly to get it broken in.

1642234179771.jpeg

I have a few plumbing questions, I'll post another update this weekend.

OP
OP
Johnny_Reefer

Johnny_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

Since adding the clowns (still no names) I've gotten 5 frags to test and figure things out. Also added a hermit crab and 2 snails.

Tank placement:
1642648658831.png

Mushroom: Seems happy in this location. Is this a good spot for future growth?
1642649305108.jpeg

Trumpet: Where does this go?
1642649428959.jpeg

Hollywood Stunner (at night in white light): Plating chalice, how to place an mount?
1642654486478.jpeg

GSP has been moved to rock in the sand in the right bottom corner. Was thinking back glass but not ready for that yet if ever.
Zoa: Didn't seem to like my XR15 Blue, move to indirect light last night and seems to be happier.

More to come...

Waterbox Marine 60.2.

EchotechVectra S2Pump
EchotechXR15 BlueLighting
InkbirdInkbird ITC-308-WIFIHeater
FinnexFinnex TH-0300S HeaterHeater
Bubble MagnusCurve 5 Elite Protein SkimmerSkimmer
AI Nero 5
Klir4
Tunze Nano ATO
Apex EL
etc.

Last edited:

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hollywood stunner is called that for a reason. It will sting and kill most anything within 4 to 6 inches of its perimeter. It really dosent need any special flow or lighting. It is quite hardy. Place it somewhere away from other corals. Also it grows pretty quickly so factor that in.

OP
OP
Johnny_Reefer

Johnny_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hollywood stunner is called that for a reason. It will sting and kill most anything within 4 to 6 inches of its perimeter. It really dosent need any special flow or lighting. It is quite hardy. Place it somewhere away from other corals. Also it grows pretty quickly so factor that in.
Thanks, that's what I understand. Easy or tough to remove/frag from an isolated flat spot? I've seen the tentacles :eek: I'm keeping it away from everything.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back