OP
OP
leedsrhinojohn

leedsrhinojohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not gonna lie, typically not a fan of bare bottom, but that scape looks awesome. Nice looking setup!
Thanks mate.
Ive never been a fan of bare bottom but ive always kept fowlr tanks, this is my first foray into corals and as its going to sps only I thought of a bare bottom so im not restricted in any way with flow, If I didn't like it I would have put sand in but I like it so bare bottom its staying,
Thanks for following

tbass3574

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a problem, aside from corals what fish besides the foxface are you planning on stocking?

OP
OP
leedsrhinojohn

leedsrhinojohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a problem, aside from corals what fish besides the foxface are you planning on stocking?
Valentini puffer ( bit of a gamble)
Purple firefish which will be going in qt this week
Harlequin tusk (aussie)
Wrasse but haven't decided which yet
Also looking at a shoal of Evansi anthias, but may end up with bartletts as evansi are hard to get hold of.
That's what is planned and then its a case of what I take a fancy too.

OP
OP
leedsrhinojohn

leedsrhinojohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been a busy week at work so not much happened but im getting a profilux 4e starter set delivered on Monday.
Transferring Foxface and Puffer from qt to dt tomorrow.
Clean out qt and refill with fresh water ready to put a Purple Firefish in which is ready to be picked up tomorrow.
Will get some pics up tomorrow when fish are in the tanks.

OP
OP
leedsrhinojohn

leedsrhinojohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First one in.

20190817_063504.jpg
20190817_063507.jpg
20190817_063518.jpg
20190817_063534.jpg

Any tips on photography? If it helps im using a galaxy s9+

OP
OP
leedsrhinojohn

leedsrhinojohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I'm on about quarantine tanks i'll explain my basic set up which has served me for years.
Its a jewel 125 which has had more silicon over the years than all of red seas 750xxl put together, but its a qt so doesn't have to look pretty.
I only fill it with 60 litres of water, no point filling it to max 125 litres, it just uses more medication if needed so its half full.
I use a Fluval U3 internal filter and a small powerhead for surface agitation, a small 150w heater, Seachem ammonia alert and a cheap Chinese light. That's it for equipment but I have a couple of grey pipe fittings for the fish to hide in.
I always have 4 sponges in the sump (U3 uses 2) and when a fish has gone through quarantine I clean the tank thoroughly, fill it with fresh water and replace the sponges with new ones from the sump and put 2 more sponges in the sump so don't need to cycle tank every time, I buy a large square of sponge and cut to size, no point wasting money on branded sponges.
I keep the fish in qt for 6-8 weeks without medication, I do not see the need to medicate and put the fish through stress if its not needed. I don't agree with prophylactic treating of fish as its unnecessary. Would you treat yourself with a bunch of medication if you didn't need them?
If the fish need medicating I keep them in qt for 12 weeks or until 100% sure they are cured of whatever illness they had.
That is my quarantining method which I have always done and never had a disease in my dt.
I did have a tank crash about 15 years ago which killed my entire tank but that was due to buying a fish I thought was bullet proof and i put it straight into dt and within a week every fish was dead.
A qt doesn't have to be expensive, a cheap and cheerful basic set up is enough for a qt.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back