OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Jealous of that chaeto growth too! Can’t seem to grow macros for the life of me.
The benefits of feeding my tank like crazy, although, I think some of my issues are related to feeding too much LRS? I’ve cut back on the LRS and increased the TDO and flakes, which the anthias love. Are you dissing your dailies?

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a promising little light. I’ll keep posted to see how it goes! Carpet anemones and clams are hard to beat under straight daylight, I can imagine it will look amazing under that tuna sun.

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like a promising little light. I’ll keep posted to see how it goes! Carpet anemones and clams are hard to beat under straight daylight, I can imagine it will look amazing under that tuna sun.
I’ve been meaning to ask how your tank has been doing? I’m sure everything is loving the halides?

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The benefits of feeding my tank like crazy, although, I think some of my issues are related to feeding too much LRS? I’ve cut back on the LRS and increased the TDO and flakes, which the anthias love. Are you dissing your dailies?
I still do the dailies. My last ICP came back pretty spot on too. It’s a nutrient issue for me still. I may cut my bio brick in half and place part in the cycle bin. Maybe it’s working too well. I’ve got nitrates registering but still low, phosphates never register on the low range phosphate. I need to get the phosphorus Hanna kit.

That’s interesting on the LRS. I feed the nano version every 3rd day or so. Cycled between rods reef and brine/mysis. I should feed some flakes or pellets, that’d probably help phosphates. I’ve been tempted to add reef roofs back in as well.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been meaning to ask how your tank has been doing? I’m sure everything is loving the halides?
Absolutely loving them. I had a pretty major swing from an oversight on my end. Alk dropped into the 6 dkh range. Then I over corrected the reactor before going out of town and came back to it being 9.5 dkh. Slowly letting in mellow for now but so far so good.

I lost a few tenuis, still haven’t figured that out. Specific to tenuis only. Home wrecker and that flycrazy piece are toast. Probably nutrients. That was well before the swing. Always something!

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I still do the dailies. My last ICP came back pretty spot on too. It’s a nutrient issue for me still. I may cut my bio brick in half and place part in the cycle bin. Maybe it’s working too well. I’ve got nitrates registering but still low, phosphates never register on the low range phosphate. I need to get the phosphorus Hanna kit.

That’s interesting on the LRS. I feed the nano version every 3rd day or so. Cycled between rods reef and brine/mysis. I should feed some flakes or pellets, that’d probably help phosphates. I’ve been tempted to add reef roofs back in as well.
I would totally lose the bricks. I’m now feeding LRS 2-3 times a day, my auto feeder (2 types of NLS pellets) goes off twice daily and I hand feed flakes and TDO 3-4x a day and I barely register nitrates. I’m actually back to dosing 1ppm nightly and my PO4 is 0.12ish the last time I checked. I haven’t been dosing bacteria though, which I need to start doing again. PNS Probio and yello sno together really do a great job at controlling nutrients in a healthy way, so I’m going back to dosing prodibio and PNS every other week. I should be getting my scopus and tomini tangs soon (trading my yellow tang) and I would like two more Ignitus. Hopefully the addition of those fish will get me back to not dosing sodium nitrate?

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Absolutely loving them. I had a pretty major swing from an oversight on my end. Alk dropped into the 6 dkh range. Then I over corrected the reactor before going out of town and came back to it being 9.5 dkh. Slowly letting in mellow for now but so far so good.

I lost a few tenuis, still haven’t figured that out. Specific to tenuis only. Home wrecker and that flycrazy piece are toast. Probably nutrients. That was well before the swing. Always something!
Oh man, that sucks! Yeah, tenuis can be a little finicky, especially the fresh ones. My WD just changes colors from more green or less green, but grows like a weed. The other rescue tenuis is a completely different story though. The tenuis that I got from Adam (Battlecorals) is growing, but it’s pretty light in color, so I haven’t found it’s sweet spot yet. Meanwhile, the ultra violet, doomsday and Malaysian pieces are all doing well. My deep red, magenta millie is slowly coming back, which is a miracle.
But I would definitely pull your bricks, there are better ways at controlling nutrients and I would rather be on the plus side than the negative.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which halides did you end up going with @minus9 ?

Debating going back to halides on my next tank, or a trial of the new kessil a500x with some T5s on the sides.

Sevi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ummm I want one of those . I have a standard 90, always wanted to do a shallow lagoon. They just make more sense and keep the arm pits dry lol. You definitely got my wheels turning on my next build (2-3 years out).

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was going to go with a couple 500x’s, but I would most likely need four the way that I would mount them, but that’s a huge amount of $$$. So for just over $800, I can completely light my tank and probably only need to run the halides for 6hrs max (at least that’s the plan/goal).

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my thought as well -- they can be run limited hours of the day, and they look the best compared to any lighting system out there. Tune it in to run while you're able to be home to see it!

Used to run 3x250W 14K phoenix DE back in the day.

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That was my thought as well -- they can be run limited hours of the day, and they look the best compared to any lighting system out there. Tune it in to run while you're able to be home to see it!

Used to run 3x250W 14K phoenix DE back in the day.
Exactly! The last time I ran halides I was using 150w iwasaki 6500k over my 15g. Mostly leathers and brains (goniastrea type).

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As soon as Kessil makes a hybrid panel, I’ll go back to 100% LEDs. Think of a 12x12 (or similar) panel with multiple 30-50w clusters, mixed with diffused strips. I personally can’t stand the look of T5 alone, it’s too flat and static for me and completely looks fake. Those tanks always look like a picture to me and that’s not the same as the real reef. I need contrast, shimmer lines, etc….

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really don’t get the hype over the Sky? I’m in total agreement with Jake Adams’ assessment of the Sky, nice light, but way over priced. $600 all day long, but no shimmer is a no go for me with any led.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't reviewed it myself. Was pretty set on sticking with T5 or halide combo, now with a possible option of the a500x in place of a halide. Looking to see how the reviews pan out on them.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You still using a GHL automation system? I have the doser but nothing else yet. Interested in possibly adding profilux 4 as a standard remote monitor of basic parameters, and adding to it, if possible, an alkatronic just to read me measurements that I could remotely make changes to the GHL doser. So many apex fail stories with the dos, and KH director seems glitchy too. What have you all got set up with regards to automation on this tank currently?

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As soon as Kessil makes a hybrid panel, I’ll go back to 100% LEDs. Think of a 12x12 (or similar) panel with multiple 30-50w clusters, mixed with diffused strips. I personally can’t stand the look of T5 alone, it’s too flat and static for me and completely looks fake. Those tanks always look like a picture to me and that’s not the same as the real reef. I need contrast, shimmer lines, etc….
Kessil needs to knock boots with ReefBrite and make a strong single point light source LED in a large MH style reflector......will it ever happen? Probably not! But I feel like that would be the best way to maintain shimmer of the Kessil (mimic halide) while also reducing the negative - shadow effect of the small footprint of their current line-up. I think it could be done very well in a ATI like foot print. Like a very wide Reefbrite. make them a few inches shorter than standard lengths. 21/33/45/57/69" ect. Cause who needs a light the same length of the display really?

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You still using a GHL automation system? I have the doser but nothing else yet. Interested in possibly adding profilux 4 as a standard remote monitor of basic parameters, and adding to it, if possible, an alkatronic just to read me measurements that I could remotely make changes to the GHL doser. So many apex fail stories with the dos, and KH director seems glitchy too. What have you all got set up with regards to automation on this tank currently?
I’m using an apex on my 90g and a doser 2 for dosing sodium nitrate, EasyBooster and spsEvo. I would’ve gone profilux on the 25g, but I absolutely hate their programming. It’s so 80’s. If they would adopt the Hydros programming, I would be GHL all the way. Their quality is great and they don’t look cheap, like the newer apex. But for the 25g build I’m going with Hydros, especially now that they are going to add a wired outlet strip. I have a wave engine and it rocks! The fact that I have my mp40’s and gyres in sync (or anti sync) is awesome and well worth the money of the unit.

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Kessil needs to knock boots with ReefBrite and make a strong single point light source LED in a large MH style reflector......will it ever happen? Probably not! But I feel like that would be the best way to maintain shimmer of the Kessil (mimic halide) while also reducing the negative - shadow effect of the small footprint of their current line-up. I think it could be done very well in a ATI like foot print. Like a very wide Reefbrite. make them a few inches shorter than standard lengths. 21/33/45/57/69" ect. Cause who needs a light the same length of the display really?
Totally agree! I think if they focus on the reflector (and it has to be substantial) then they may have something. I still love and always will, because they are the only light that gets close to the appearance of halides. Until LEDs can mimic the gold standard of halide/T5, I’m going to stick with old school technology.
Kessil has the resources to do the R&D, lighting is their only thing, fiber optics, stage lighting, etc… I think it’s time to hire Tullio and get the ball rolling.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back