minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
94B58648-19AE-433E-B680-1980E704F0D6.jpeg

Turned the light on to get a quick blue pic. There’s some algae growing, lots of little worms (mostly bristle) crawling around and a few snails working hard. Need to do some finishing work on the nano build and I’ll post a pic of the progress soon.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
94B58648-19AE-433E-B680-1980E704F0D6.jpeg

Turned the light on to get a quick blue pic. There’s some algae growing, lots of little worms (mostly bristle) crawling around and a few snails working hard. Need to do some finishing work on the nano build and I’ll post a pic of the progress soon.

love those tanks. A 48x36x24 is dream tank size for me. I just love the depth beyond 24", allows you to do more and it seems so much more roomy.

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
love those tanks. A 48x36x24 is dream tank size for me. I just love the depth beyond 24", allows you to do more and it seems so much more roomy.
Yeah, I really wanted to go a little longer, but this was the only spot I could put the tank and didn’t want it sticking out too far. Wide and shallow really gives you a different perspective and also gives you another viewing angle from the top, which I absolutely love.
Btw, if I ever make it to your area, I’ll let you know and I’ll bring you some goodies. I have a good population of strombus grazers (nano conchs) and like to give a few to local reefers whenever they stop by.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I really wanted to go a little longer, but this was the only spot I could put the tank and didn’t want it sticking out too far. Wide and shallow really gives you a different perspective and also gives you another viewing angle from the top, which I absolutely love.
Btw, if I ever make it to your area, I’ll let you know and I’ll bring you some goodies. I have a good population of strombus grazers (nano conchs) and like to give a few to local reefers whenever they stop by.

Wow I hadn't heard of these little guys before! Quick search claims they're pretty amazing CUC members. I'd absolutely take those, very much appreciated!

Two questions though
- Do they need sand?
- Any idea of wrasse might eat them?

I'm in Huntington Beach, if you are in the area visiting a shop let me know, I love unusual inverts that don't eat coral hah

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow I hadn't heard of these little guys before! Quick search claims they're pretty amazing CUC members. I'd absolutely take those, very much appreciated!

Two questions though
- Do they need sand?
- Any idea of wrasse might eat them?

I'm in Huntington Beach, if you are in the area visiting a shop let me know, I love unusual inverts that don't eat coral hah
No sand required and these little guys will reproduce for you in no time, one of my all time favorite CUC. I'm sure certain wrasses will go after the babies or small ones, just depends on what wrasse? I have a yellow banded possum wrasse and I'm sure he gets a couple small ones here and there, but nothing that would impact their numbers. Halichoeres or similar would probably do some damage, most likely melanurus for sure. Pseudocheilinus (six-line) would be a no-no as well. Flasher and fairy wrasses are completely safe.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured as much. Was planning to get a leopard wrasse of some sort, or a melanurus lol. I'll probably hold off on those wrasse unless necessary.

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
6D8019F9-7E65-48F8-92A2-FAB95DB0A5CB.jpeg

The nano build is coming along. Just finished cutting the final panels for the 10g stand. Now to paint the edges and put Odie’s oil to work. Another shout out to @neon_reefer for milling the cabinet pulls for me. I definitely could’ve stepped down the magnets to N42’s, these 52’s are strong as ____!

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
CAC3880D-FE9E-4DC3-95FD-89A6460564EA.jpeg
268DD7CD-864A-47EA-8965-BA80D3807045.jpeg

I need to attach the back panel to the 10g stand, then put the hardware on and then it will be 98% finished. I want to wrap the bottom frame in black contact paper so the white doesn’t pop out, then make the shelves, then I’ll be done, hopefully?

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This makes me want to start a new tank right away today!
Thanks! Yeah, it's not hard to do in this hobby. Two of my long term goals are to set up zone specific tanks, one being a super shallow mangrove flat where the water level changes like the tides and keep animals that live in that zone and the other being a shallow tropical tide pool with coral, same concept with changing water levels throughout the day mimicking the tides. But it might be easier to move to Tahiti? :p

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Yeah, it's not hard to do in this hobby. Two of my long term goals are to set up zone specific tanks, one being a super shallow mangrove flat where the water level changes like the tides and keep animals that live in that zone and the other being a shallow tropical tide pool with coral, same concept with changing water levels throughout the day mimicking the tides. But it might be easier to move to Tahiti? :p

It will be cheaper to move, for sure :face-with-hand-over-mouth:
Do you think that the lens on the Kessil for the lower tank is really necessary or is that just for visual purposes, to avoid light spill?

Back