8A8CE2EB-FA31-4255-B585-196C94545CF4.jpeg
0AB50D53-8F87-4A62-9D9D-638B3D5883FA.jpeg

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, that's bad! I'm sure you paid per cut as well so that's total bs if they aren't perfectly square and filled smooth. I'll be steering clear of that company.

I heard about MD too. Sucks, I'd use them for the most part because BRS takes a bit longer to get to me. My first thought was there's one less vendor still carrying MH gear. It sounds like BRS is taking everything back to MN so I think shipping times will remain the same?

Looking forward to what you end up going with as far as wattage in those RB fixtures. I now have a garage full of tunze pumps, kessils and mh gear so I don't know what the heck I'm doing anymore. I'll wait and see how it works out for you :)

I've been bottomed out for months now. I feed heavy and oyster and phyto daily. Everything except for most of my tenuis look really good. I'm realizing tenuis have to have nutrients to look their best so I think you're right, thats gonna be your nutrient canary in the tank.

FTS looks great.

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man, that's bad! I'm sure you paid per cut as well so that's total bs if they aren't perfectly square and filled smooth. I'll be steering clear of that company.

I heard about MD too. Sucks, I'd use them for the most part because BRS takes a bit longer to get to me. My first thought was there's one less vendor still carrying MH gear. It sounds like BRS is taking everything back to MN so I think shipping times will remain the same?

Looking forward to what you end up going with as far as wattage in those RB fixtures. I now have a garage full of tunze pumps, kessils and mh gear so I don't know what the heck I'm doing anymore. I'll wait and see how it works out for you :)

I've been bottomed out for months now. I feed heavy and oyster and phyto daily. Everything except for most of my tenuis look really good. I'm realizing tenuis have to have nutrients to look their best so I think you're right, thats gonna be your nutrient canary in the tank.

FTS looks great.
Thanks! Yeah, I like ordering certain things from MD, especially with the quick turn around. Too bad they don't keep the warehouse here, they would probably get even more business. I'm actually starting to believe Alex Correa about metal halides being pushed out deliberately by LED manufacturers. But also agree that MH will be around for a while. Until LED manufacturers can replicate MH, we'll be in this slow progress trend for a very long time. I honestly think Kessil has an opportunity to change that, they just have to be willing to set aside the small form factor and go for it. The two things everyone misses on MH are reflectors (it's a physical size thing) and actual spectrum of the bulbs.
It's funny, but my WD hasn't missed a beat in all of this, it's still super hairy and has plenty of color (if you can see behind the crazy PE). I'm getting 3 anthias (hopefully soon?), so I think that will help out quite a bit. I think it's easier to control phosphates in my tank now, but nitrates are a little trickier. As long as I can hold onto 1ppm daily, i'm good.
If Tnutz doesn't offer anything, then I'll have to go with FramingTech, but they seem to be pricey compared to Tnutz, but maybe that's a good thing?
I reached out to Anthony @ycnibrc but haven't heard what bulb combo he's using with his new setup of MH and Kessil.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Yeah, I like ordering certain things from MD, especially with the quick turn around. Too bad they don't keep the warehouse here, they would probably get even more business. I'm actually starting to believe Alex Correa about metal halides being pushed out deliberately by LED manufacturers. But also agree that MH will be around for a while. Until LED manufacturers can replicate MH, we'll be in this slow progress trend for a very long time. I honestly think Kessil has an opportunity to change that, they just have to be willing to set aside the small form factor and go for it. The two things everyone misses on MH are reflectors (it's a physical size thing) and actual spectrum of the bulbs.
It's funny, but my WD hasn't missed a beat in all of this, it's still super hairy and has plenty of color (if you can see behind the crazy PE). I'm getting 3 anthias (hopefully soon?), so I think that will help out quite a bit. I think it's easier to control phosphates in my tank now, but nitrates are a little trickier. As long as I can hold onto 1ppm daily, i'm good.
If Tnutz doesn't offer anything, then I'll have to go with FramingTech, but they seem to be pricey compared to Tnutz, but maybe that's a good thing?
I reached out to Anthony @ycnibrc but haven't heard what bulb combo he's using with his new setup of MH and Kessil.
The setup I bought came with a unknown 10k 400w lamp but I think its hamilton. I held it over my cycling bin and was surprised how crisp it looked. I'd imagine fish, clams and carpets would look amazing under that. It came with a 14k 250w hamilton lamp as well. I also still have 250w radiums. If I can figure out how to rig it up and take accurate pictures I'll post them up for comparisons.

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The setup I bought came with a unknown 10k 400w lamp but I think its hamilton. I held it over my cycling bin and was surprised how crisp it looked. I'd imagine fish, clams and carpets would look amazing under that. It came with a 14k 250w hamilton lamp as well. I also still have 250w radiums. If I can figure out how to rig it up and take accurate pictures I'll post them up for comparisons.
That would be awesome! There's no replicating metal halides.

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Small tank update. I'm sending the 8020 back, so now I have to find another source soon. Might have to go with Framingtech? This will be my last full week of work and then I'm off for a while, so I'll be able to do a lot of work on both tanks. Still need to assemble the sump, but need to make some small trim pieces because I didn't account for the bow in the used acrylic tank. I might go with a waterbox mini 10 for the mangrove / clam lagoon? Still need to make a stand and also buy some wood to make panels for the 90g. Once the 25g and mangrove tank are up, then I'm going to clean house in the 90g and sell off or trade all the things I don't want.

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
553C0438-1D93-4BC3-9071-6E3D9C43B9BE.jpeg
F7F3DA35-8C3C-426E-8957-3F675C7DE37B.jpeg
9735FF72-4002-4D9F-B1E3-06FB92AC38B5.jpeg
Well here are a few garbage pics of the tank as it sits now. Cyano, too many montipora colonies and few other things that need to go, but it’s still moving forward, kinda. The orange anacropora keeps getting knocked off by the urchins, so it’s beat up by the big goni. I’ll eventually find a new spot for it, but for the time being, it will have to hold for a couple days. I’m experiencing some TN on my main VM colony and my pink table. I think it’s from when I had to remove one mp40 because of a rusty magnet and excess detritus buildup. I’ve cut back on flatworm stop, but I may go back to nightly dosing to help them out a little? I’m leaving town for a week to help my mom out, but when I get back, I’m going to start moving pieces out. I need to get the 25g lagoon up and running so I can transfer some pieces there until I find new homes.
Happy 4th everyone! Now time to put some jerk chicken over some hot coals and start drinking some red stripe.

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Happy 4th bud!

Issues or not, that tanks looking good! Suck thick growth on your acros.
Thanks Matt! And a happy 4th to you too. I know I tend to notice all the negative things, but that’s just me wanting everything to be happy, which is completely unrealistic. Also, I’m completely off of my vision with this tank and I really need to let things go and focus on what I really want.
Yeah, the frogskin and the lime in the sky have super thick branches, both of which get crazy flow. I can’t wait until I get the halides going, that will give me a chance to really clean house. I keep forgetting to ask you, but how is the frag of the golden/amber green acro that I gave you?
This one.
12438591-7E12-404D-ADB7-61F16C1E7078.jpeg

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Matt! And a happy 4th to you too. I know I tend to notice all the negative things, but that’s just me wanting everything to be happy, which is completely unrealistic. Also, I’m completely off of my vision with this tank and I really need to let things go and focus on what I really want.
Yeah, the frogskin and the lime in the sky have super thick branches, both of which get crazy flow. I can’t wait until I get the halides going, that will give me a chance to really clean house. I keep forgetting to ask you, but how is the frag of the golden/amber green acro that I gave you?
This one.
12438591-7E12-404D-ADB7-61F16C1E7078.jpeg
It's doing well but I haven't gotten it to color up like yours yet. It probably just needs a little more growth I think. Some aiptasia popped up close to it so I need to deal with that pronto

I've also given the magenta looking piece more light and flow and it's coming back around and starting to color. I can't wait to see what that blue tortish looking piece looks like under MH :)

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's doing well but I haven't gotten it to color up like yours yet. It probably just needs a little more growth I think. Some aiptasia popped up close to it so I need to deal with that pronto

I've also given the magenta looking piece more light and flow and it's coming back around and starting to color. I can't wait to see what that blue tortish looking piece looks like under MH :)
Nice! That piece (gold/green) wants higher par I found. I had to split mine up and it's been sitting on the bottom for a while, mostly green with just the tips showing color. This week I'm going to mount one of the big chunks on a piece of branch rock I picked up. I'm going to mount the other two pieces I got from Adam (battlecorals) too.
That magenta millie is still holding on in two spots in my tank, so hopefully it'll start to branch out at some point? The bluish tortish piece I call Valkyrie's moon definitely likes the whiter spectrum and it's another piece that instantly tells me that my phosphates are a little high, as it loses the color separation between the purple, blue and teal colors.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! That piece (gold/green) wants higher par I found. I had to split mine up and it's been sitting on the bottom for a while, mostly green with just the tips showing color. This week I'm going to mount one of the big chunks on a piece of branch rock I picked up. I'm going to mount the other two pieces I got from Adam (battlecorals) too.
That magenta millie is still holding on in two spots in my tank, so hopefully it'll start to branch out at some point? The bluish tortish piece I call Valkyrie's moon definitely likes the whiter spectrum and it's another piece that instantly tells me that my phosphates are a little high, as it loses the color separation between the purple, blue and teal colors.
Good to know on Valkyrie's moon, I've got some tenuis that'll tell me when stuff's too low so I'm covered.

I'll have a little more room in the next one, so Ill place it higher par in there for sure. It's getting good par but I bet it's fending off the aiptasia once in a while too. Looks like I'm gonna get some tight growth from it in the flow its in. Hurry up CDA, :)

Looking forward to what you do with the MH and the pieces you end up keeping. Are you going to see what reacts to MH best then make your decision? Or do you already have them in mind?

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good to know on Valkyrie's moon, I've got some tenuis that'll tell me when stuff's too low so I'm covered.

I'll have a little more room in the next one, so Ill place it higher par in there for sure. It's getting good par but I bet it's fending off the aiptasia once in a while too. Looks like I'm gonna get some tight growth from it in the flow its in. Hurry up CDA, :)

Looking forward to what you do with the MH and the pieces you end up keeping. Are you going to see what reacts to MH best then make your decision? Or do you already have them in mind?
I would like to focus more on smoothies, but also some shallow water/reef slope species like humilis and gemmifera. I can put them in really high flow and they'll love it. Plus, I really love the shape and growth of those two acros, they have that quintessential reef slope shape that drew me into the hobby.
I'm definitely removing the pink caddy, it's just not the acro for me. I think it's a cool frag, but not so much as a colony. I also want to pick up more millies, which Unique is getting in more now. All the montis are gonna go, either in the 25g or someone else's tank. I'll keep the grafted monti and the leng sy, but that's it. It would be cool to see the leng sy under halides, but I have no room for it. I might let it take up a lot of room in the 25g and give frags out to people, just to make sure that piece sticks around. I believe that the classics need to stay in the hobby, especially ones with lineage. The acro I want for sure is the OG purple monster. I know a local reefer who has it, so when I save up the $$, I'll get a frag.
I'll probably move my spath to a single tonga branch and put it high up on it's own. Right now it's tucked in between my pink table and the ever-fast growing confetti. Your doomsday piece is super cool, so I'll leave it be and see what it does? I still need to mount your shazam piece though.
I want to keep the A. florida for sure. There's no other piece that has that super neon green color and shape, it's such a cool piece and another old school piece that needs to stick around. Once I get rid of the blasto/micromussa rock, I'll have plenty of room for a couple more piece of rock, which will allow room for the things I want. Of course, that's the plan, so we'll see if I can actually pull it off?

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like a solid lineup/plan to me. I love smoothies as well. Those a millies will look awesome in a shallow reef. That shazam wannabe is pretty cool but it takes some time to look good. Doomsday is a favorite, that’s gonna look great under MH.
OG purple monster, I forgot about that one. Very cool piece but it’s supposed to be somewhat difficult right? That’s be a great halide piece. Florida is almost a must for a halide lit tank for good reason!

we’ll be fighting the same struggle of sticking to our game plans, easier said than done!

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That sounds like a solid lineup/plan to me. I love smoothies as well. Those a millies will look awesome in a shallow reef. That shazam wannabe is pretty cool but it takes some time to look good. Doomsday is a favorite, that’s gonna look great under MH.
OG purple monster, I forgot about that one. Very cool piece but it’s supposed to be somewhat difficult right? That’s be a great halide piece. Florida is almost a must for a halide lit tank for good reason!

we’ll be fighting the same struggle of sticking to our game plans, easier said than done!
The purple monster isn’t difficult (not more than any other acro), but it’s known for being an extremely slow grower. I’m hoping the halides will help a little. I need to find another source for the 8020 that I want, but it’s proving a little difficult. The other main online dealer’s prices are much higher, but there’s a place located in San Diego that I might try? Just need to make sure they have the extrusion in black anodized. If I can’t find the 30 series, then I’ll have to go down to10 series.

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
4588175F-9B21-4D6F-AABF-703655C34E6D.jpeg

I seem to excel at the glare shot? :rolleyes: I don’t think it’s possible to have all of my coral happy at the same time, nor is it a realistic goal, but I can’t help but try. Currently, I have 3 pieces that have active TN and one of my tenuis pieces is still super “light” but growing. My pink table, pink caddy and my main colony of Valkyrie’s moon all have TN. I’m sure it all started when one of my MP40’s rusted and I had to replace it (which left me without strong flow on one side). I’m sure the buildup of detritus on those pieces started the TN and the heavy metal exposure helped it along. Meanwhile, everything else is growing without issue. In fact, growth on the other pieces is strong. I’m not sure what will happen while I’m gone next week, but there’s really nothing I can do until I get back. I need to find more 8020 quick so I can order the halides and get this tank on track.
Time to jump in the pool and have a couple cold ones.

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, after spending a long overdue week with my mom (time with mom is always great) I’m back home and ready to start transitioning to the next phase of my tank. I just got off the phone with Tullio (awesome guy and a wealth of knowledge) he confirmed my plans would be great for my setup. Two 250w pendants, about 14” off of the water and 8” apart will cover everything. I’m stoked that my thoughts were on point and I now can proceed with buying everything I need.
On the down side, my pink caddy is slowly fading, but I’m okay with it. I’ll take another big chunk and hopefully save it and sell to help fund my next purchase. I completely lost the smoothie I picked up from Unique. Even though my nitrates seem low, I think dosing then proves to be detrimental to some sensitive pieces. Meanwhile, everything else is growing and passing towards the water surface, with just a couple pieces having some minor issues. But I’ll take what I can get for now.
Here are a few pics of my trip to my mom’s house in the Ozarks.
268999D4-0084-4D61-80AC-0FE5919AC717.jpeg
404DB4A4-E7A9-4AC9-828E-7BE936369FEF.jpeg
FCDDAE39-05B3-4A96-B005-7F92D90E4590.jpeg
31D55B09-D8BA-49BC-AC3D-793776A4CAAD.jpeg

First pic is 5 minutes from my mom’s house and the last pic is her backyard.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, after spending a long overdue week with my mom (time with mom is always great) I’m back home and ready to start transitioning to the next phase of my tank. I just got off the phone with Tullio (awesome guy and a wealth of knowledge) he confirmed my plans would be great for my setup. Two 250w pendants, about 14” off of the water and 8” apart will cover everything. I’m stoked that my thoughts were on point and I now can proceed with buying everything I need.
On the down side, my pink caddy is slowly fading, but I’m okay with it. I’ll take another big chunk and hopefully save it and sell to help fund my next purchase. I completely lost the smoothie I picked up from Unique. Even though my nitrates seem low, I think dosing then proves to be detrimental to some sensitive pieces. Meanwhile, everything else is growing and passing towards the water surface, with just a couple pieces having some minor issues. But I’ll take what I can get for now.
Here are a few pics of my trip to my mom’s house in the Ozarks.
268999D4-0084-4D61-80AC-0FE5919AC717.jpeg
404DB4A4-E7A9-4AC9-828E-7BE936369FEF.jpeg
FCDDAE39-05B3-4A96-B005-7F92D90E4590.jpeg
31D55B09-D8BA-49BC-AC3D-793776A4CAAD.jpeg

First pic is 5 minutes from my mom’s house and the last pic is her backyard.
That’s gorgeous!

I’m looking forward to seeing the swap and how you go about building the canopy

Back