1   0   0
85185D71-A724-488D-BA96-2DC112BDBBCE.jpeg

Okay, let’s get this party started!

reefluvrr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, that’s just too funny. Must be State rivalry going on there? I’m definitely interested in your results, I’m gonna have to jump on your thread. Do you have a build thread?
Haaa...Alas, I do not have a build thread since my friend helped me set up my office fish tank a few years back.
I use to have a 240 gallon reef tank until I gave it all for two girls being born about 15 years ago..

I have old results from Aquabiomics from around June this year and will send one out later this month.
More than happy to share with you!

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Haaa...Alas, I do not have a build thread since my friend helped me set up my office fish tank a few years back.
I use to have a 240 gallon reef tank until I gave it all for two girls being born about 15 years ago..

I have old results from Aquabiomics from around June this year and will send one out later this month.
More than happy to share with you!
Nice! Yeah, family always takes precedence in this regard. Were your previous results revealing? Anything out of the ordinary? I’ve long suspected a pathogen or unfriendly bacteria in this tank, so it would be nice to know if that’s the case or I’m overthinking the process? Regardless, I’m seriously considering a reset/clean up when I get my halides up. Ultimately, I just want a handful of beautiful colonies. My 22g was the “how many sps can fit in here” tank and I didn’t want to repeat that again, but I did. There are two classics that I want for sure, Oregon tort and purple monster, but then I’m going to focus on a couple nice millies and smoothies. I also want a nice humilis right in front of one mp40 to break up the flow, figured that would be a prime candidate. I guess this why people upgrade to larger tanks or add on frag tanks.

reefluvrr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were your previous results revealing?

I attached my diversityscore file from June so you can compare it to later.
I do think my seeding sand and mud from Florida did bump up my diversity score right after my tank crash.
I did also dose heavily with bacteria as well. ProdiBio biodigest, PNS ProBio, and Dr. Tim's Eco and Waste Away...

Even after all those bacteria dosing and seeding of live sand and mud (about two weeks before I sent out to test), the DNA test showed I had higher levels of Cyano and Dinos... (This was the part where I think the DNA helped me out the most, verifying I had both Cyano and Dinos.)

Attachments

• diversityscore.pdf
    146.5 KB · Views: 58
OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you! I’m doing a 7 day witch hazel prodibio treatment now, so we’ll see how that helps? I added some keys mud and sand at the beginning of the year, so I’ll definitely have to compare to yours to see if there’s any similarities?

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrgggghhhhhhhh!!!!!! I just discovered that I have a lot more whelks! They blend in with my strombus and I now know where they came from. I’m friggin’ livid! Don’t order live sand and mud from the keys or risk having whelks. The timeframe completely makes sense now. :mad::mad::mad:

reefluvrr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't remember, how are the Whelks wrecking havoc in your tank? Now I am little nervous about my live sand and mud too...

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can't remember, how are the Whelks wrecking havoc in your tank? Now I am little nervous about my live sand and mud too...
They will hunt other snails and mollusks (including clams). I’ve noticed a decline in my strombus population (I’m sure my possum wrasses is grabbing a couple) and my maxima clam could’ve been bothered by them too?

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In case you have not seen ReefDudes newest video about AquaBiomics.
Pretty cool info.
Reef Dude Aquabiomics interview
It’s been a busy work week, but I managed to watch a little bit. I’ll watch the rest this weekend while I’m cleaning the tank glass and trying to catch my yellow tang. I also watch/listen to reef therapy with Jake and Mark.
I made myself a fish trap today, so we’ll see if it works?
BC61792D-717E-4018-B378-51257A430207.jpeg

E081333E-9D47-4C9C-920E-2CD4D744CE9A.jpeg

Here’s what I caught from both tanks. Two of the three larger whelks came from the nano, the rest are from my main tank. I’m sure I’ll catch a few more small ones over the next week or two? Little ;Brb’s!

reefluvrr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your ingenuity on the fish trap. I would have ran out of patience...

I ended up getting one from some ad found on facebook....I am a sucker for ads on facebook.

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
7B32E80C-54BF-4D19-B160-1FD5292F7E65.jpeg

Day 1 with the trap in place and the YT stayed far away, only to venture close a couple times to have a look (but at a distance).
Meanwhile, I often overlook my colony of A. florida right in front, but today I was admiring it’s crazy growth, which can only be appreciated from the side or top down.
2693F6AF-91C2-4E3D-B585-CB9AE3DA9507.jpeg

In the super high random flow, it’s really growing on top of itself, so much so that a couple small branches are already self shading other branches. What a super funky piece that I can hopefully share with other local reefers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This week I was able to send off another ICP and the AquaBiomics test kit. I received the return pump and the Xaqua InOut overflow for the 25g/mangrove lagoon. So I need to plumb the return and drill the 10g, but need to buy some hole saws. My halides should me in next week, so I really need to order the 8020, but all of this may be put on hold, as my union may be going on strike in the following week? Too much going on to give the details, but your favorite TV shows may be put on hold? We’ll see? When it rains, it pours. Also, in the past week I lost my spath (battling my confetti for space) and now my confetti is looking pretty drab. I’m back using PNS Probio, so hopefully that will help a little? I’m going to wait until I get the results back from AquaBiomics before I decide my next move, but I’m considering a partial reset? I really want to get my hands on a couple pieces of Jakarta live rock, just have to find out how much it’s going to set me back?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 109 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back