John's SPS Shallow 90g Peninsula-Lagoon build

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Work is still crazy, but with the help of my son, we caught my yellow tang “Sunny”. He’s now transformed into two tiny, awesome tangs.
BD56ED66-ED38-408E-934A-893555F735E5.jpeg
2CDEB3AD-091E-4A3E-A24F-3F5F2761AADF.jpeg
The dream team :D Great choices. The scopas tang is such an underrated fish. Those tomini tangs are workhorses too.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your plan for mounting to the 80/20? I swapped the eyelets for radion hanging kit hardware and it worked great. Pulling the reflectors isn't all that fun though.

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What's your plan for mounting to the 80/20? I swapped the eyelets for radion hanging kit hardware and it worked great. Pulling the reflectors isn't all that fun though.
I'm going to try and find some10/32 t-slot bolts and mount them directly to the t-slot bars. This will provide some stability and keep them from moving side to side. If not, there's mounting hardware for 10 series bars that fits in the channel and I can hang the pendants from them. Although, I may have to buy new bulbs or return these to Hamilton, as they are not firing up. I'm hoping it's just the bulbs not being screwed in all the way, but I don't want to risk breaking the bulbs over-tightening them. Hopefully it's just user error?

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to try and find some10/32 t-slot bolts and mount them directly to the t-slot bars. This will provide some stability and keep them from moving side to side. If not, there's mounting hardware for 10 series bars that fits in the channel and I can hang the pendants from them. Although, I may have to buy new bulbs or return these to Hamilton, as they are not firing up. I'm hoping it's just the bulbs not being screwed in all the way, but I don't want to risk breaking the bulbs over-tightening them. Hopefully it's just user error?
that's bizarre? are you getting power at the socket?

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, apparently both Hamilton bulbs that I bought from the MD liquidation sale are duds. Now I have to look for some known working bulbs to make sure, but I'm pretty sure that the brand new Reef Brite ballasts and pendants are working as they should. I need to reach out to Hamilton though, gotta get these guys going!

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
While I figure out the next step with my 90g, I’m putting together a cool nano system that will have clams, mangroves and who knows what in the 25g? I think this will be lit by two Kessil’s and maybe a couple of my Orphek bars once I get the halides up? I want a super clean look, so I’ll probably start with just a couple 360x’s. One will be mounted at a normal height and the one that goes over the 10g will have the 35 degree lens in order to mount it high for the mangroves and provide clear viewing of the clams. I want a couple nice croceas and maybe one maxima?
Here’sa sneak peek at the rough setup.
F40E6644-6EDE-45D3-9292-7DE497052D73.jpeg
9A4E6B5E-8EDE-4586-ADA5-7D36F2EFCD9B.jpeg

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, after another round of losses, I've gone the antibiotics route. I dosed some Cipro tonight and will do 2 follow up doses in the coming days. I was going to use Chemiclean, but I'm all in now. Regardless, this tank has seen it's final days in it's current form. As soon as I get the 25g lagoon up and running, this tank is getting a thorough makeover. Man, Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit amphetamines. (Movie quote people, don't get too dramatic on me) :p

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure I would go changing anything with those results.
There are a couple pieces of rock that I'm going to remove because of certain corals I'm getting rid of, which will be replaced with some Jakarta rock (and rock from my nano). I also have to chip away some hydroids which are starting to spread around, so it's going to be a cleaning reset. I want to try out the AF Life Source mud (just to add some diversity) and see if that helps a little? I also need to clear out the aiptasia in my overflow, which keeps reintroducing them into my display. I think my biggest problem was taking on the rescue frags from a friend. Too many corals that I really didn't want and the ones that really took off are the ones taking up all the room. Work has been crazy, so I haven't had time to do much, but hopefully I can get some time soon and redo the canopy first. I really want to get these halides up and running.

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
6BB62D83-220D-450A-A02D-1A9696C361B5.jpeg
654BFA82-527D-403B-919C-7040BA3BE40C.jpeg
BD52452F-1DE1-4097-8190-EC841A328B63.jpeg

The main components are there (except the drain for the 10g) and ready for the next step. Run a leak test in place and then buy some wood to wrap both stands. The ATO reservoir will go under the 10g and I’ll add a shelf to the main stand for the doser(s). I might build a planter to hold the controller and other equipment. This tank will be monitored by a Hydros (maybe X4?).

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just received a personalized email from Eli @AquaBiomics regarding my test results, which is a very nice touch on his part and makes his service a better experience overall. Even though my diversity score was a little low, the balance was pretty good. He discussed how the scores are calculated and what they mean. I’ll most likely send another sample in after I reset my tank and add some Jakarta rock, along with some live sand/mud from the pacific. The Keys mud and sand created some additional problems with the whelks (tulip snails), so I’m going to steer clear of that source for good. I know there’s a risk adding things that don’t get QT’d to your tank, but I really wasn’t thinking about the possibility of large predatory snails being one of them.
So, my next step in the evolution of this tank will be to go back to my original plans and focus on the shallow water species/look that will have a minimalistic approach to the corals and inverts. Get ready for acropora and clams.
Stay tuned!

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received a personalized email from Eli @AquaBiomics regarding my test results, which is a very nice touch on his part and makes his service a better experience overall. Even though my diversity score was a little low, the balance was pretty good. He discussed how the scores are calculated and what they mean. I’ll most likely send another sample in after I reset my tank and add some Jakarta rock, along with some live sand/mud from the pacific. The Keys mud and sand created some additional problems with the whelks (tulip snails), so I’m going to steer clear of that source for good. I know there’s a risk adding things that don’t get QT’d to your tank, but I really wasn’t thinking about the possibility of large predatory snails being one of them.
So, my next step in the evolution of this tank will be to go back to my original plans and focus on the shallow water species/look that will have a minimalistic approach to the corals and inverts. Get ready for acropora and clams.
Stay tuned!
Nice I'll be curious where you are getting your rock, sand, and mud from. I've used the keys mud/sand in the past and I think I was lucky I didn't have the issues.

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice I'll be curious where you are getting your rock, sand, and mud from. I've used the keys mud/sand in the past and I think I was lucky I didn't have the issues.
There are only two distributors in the states, Route 66 here in LA and a place in NC. I’m calling Route 66 tomorrow, so I’ll find out of they have anything in stock? I might get sand and mud from IPSF? I used to talk with Gerald on the phone in the 90’s when I worked for Dick Perrin, nice guy.

reefluvrr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m calling Route 66 tomorrow
Oh my gosh, I thought Eric only now does business to retailers and not individual hobbyist anymore.
He got some primo corals on his facebook page.
I remember buying directly from him about 20 years ago...

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh my gosh, I thought Eric only now does business to retailers and not individual hobbyist anymore.
He got some primo corals on his facebook page.
I remember buying directly from him about 20 years ago...
They’re still wholesale only, I’m calling to see if he has it, then I’ll put my LFS on task.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back