OP
OP
jonnyeatworld

jonnyeatworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time to start making some RODI. 5 stage filter going into a 34 Gallon Brute right now. Will eventually pump the water out into the tank when the time comes.

IMG_0552.jpg

Scared to make a permanent hole in the water line, so using a faucet adapter for the time being. Works great! and the waste line is going into the drain

IMG_0556.jpg

OP
OP
jonnyeatworld

jonnyeatworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some Dry fitting to fit into the Clarisea sk5000. Using 3/4" pipe that goes into the expands into the 1" elbow of the filter.

IMG_0525.jpg

Going with the Tropical Eden Reef flakes. It has great reviews and it was on sale!

IMG_0555.jpg

Bfactor84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. The clarisea rollermats are probably the best compared to Klir and Theiling variants

I installed the Klir Di-4 filter in my reefer 450 and the one thing I learnt is that in the roller mat is not good at filtering fine sand particles. Its just that the filter sheets don't create effective seals between the dirty and clean side.

I would not run the mat for the first 2-3 months while your sand is building bacteria. The floating sand particles will just get through the rollermat and eventually fill up your skimmer chamber in the sump.

OP
OP
jonnyeatworld

jonnyeatworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. The clarisea rollermats are probably the best compared to Klir and Theiling variants

I installed the Klir Di-4 filter in my reefer 450 and the one thing I learnt is that in the roller mat is not good at filtering fine sand particles. Its just that the filter sheets don't create effective seals between the dirty and clean side.

I would not run the mat for the first 2-3 months while your sand is building bacteria. The floating sand particles will just get through the rollermat and eventually fill up your skimmer chamber in the sump.

Definitely good to know. thanks!

OP
OP
jonnyeatworld

jonnyeatworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! I just mounted my RO/DI unit in the basement below the tank, I'll post updates when I get it finished.

My tank is already in my basement, i will eventually try to figure out how to run the lines up and through the drop ceiling to where my RODI container is going to be, behind the tank. I'm too scared to automate everything with float switches and that stuff, so i might just turn it on when i need.

Hulley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally understand, I set my tank up over the summer and I'm at the point now that I'm tired of making water and topping off the 5g container every 3-4 days. I'm actually going to connect the RO/DI unit straight to the top off unit, I'll have safeties in place of course. :)

OP
OP
jonnyeatworld

jonnyeatworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally understand, I set my tank up over the summer and I'm at the point now that I'm tired of making water and topping off the 5g container every 3-4 days. I'm actually going to connect the RO/DI unit straight to the top off unit, I'll have safeties in place of course. :)

My plan is to try to get a bigger top off tank. Thinking a 10-12 gallon one so it should give me a few extra days in between fills.

Maxrotor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am following closely. I am also building a reefer 350 v3. Do you more details or a video on the sump mod for the Clarissa?

OP
OP
jonnyeatworld

jonnyeatworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am following closely. I am also building a reefer 350 v3. Do you more details or a video on the sump mod for the Clarissa?
IMG_0700.jpg

this is what it looks like plumbed. Obviously just missing the connection to the drain in the cabinet. Hope this helps

OP
OP
jonnyeatworld

jonnyeatworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy with the scape, so time to start cementing. Using the E-Marco 400 Mortar
IMG_0701.jpg

If i can give any advice with using this is make small batches! the stuff becomes unusable around the 20 minute mark, so you have to work pretty quickly.
Also make sure to put the cap back on the liquid glue.....ask me how i know.......

you want to get the mortar wet, but not soupy. I found myself adding more of the mortar to dry it up a bit to make it easier to handle and mush into the crevasses to get a good bond. If its too liquidy it becomes a mess.

IMG_0706.jpg

Just a close up of some of the mortar. I ended up cementing some small bits of the rock that was borken off in shipment to hide some of the cement.
IMG_0708.jpg

OP
OP
jonnyeatworld

jonnyeatworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally finished my manifold. It was a lot of wrong parts and/or not enough parts and waiting for shipments to arrive, but it's finally done!

IMG_0746.jpg

Here is a pic of all the pipe work done. I have the emergency drain going into the return section of the sump.

IMG_0773 (1).jpg

Time to start Filling! I ran a really long RODI tube from the filter right into the tank to save me the work of emptying the Brute container every time it is full. I probably went down to check on it every 20 minutes because i was paranoid it was gonna leak onto my floor.

IMG_0777.jpg

Almost there! i already leak tested the overflow by pouring a few gallons of water into it to see it drain properly into the sump.

IMG_0778.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back