OP
OP
joporeefpro

joporeefpro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adjusted to AB+ on gen 1 radions on main tank last night, today will be the first day with the shortened photo period. Lights are on 60% with just a 9 hour photo period now... before admittedly the photo period was far to long...

Outdrsyguy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't notice anything concerning. What did they say was off? Low nutrients as long photo period could definitely cause pale corals. I'm still on the side of way too low nutrients personally. Dosing nitrate took my corals from SUPER pale/not growing fast/dying to coloring up nicely and actually sprouting new growth and encrusting.

OP
OP
joporeefpro

joporeefpro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't notice anything concerning. What did they say was off? Low nutrients as long photo period could definitely cause pale corals. I'm still on the side of way too low nutrients personally. Dosing nitrate took my corals from SUPER pale/not growing fast/dying to coloring up nicely and actually sprouting new growth and encrusting.
I am nervous to "dose" nitrate but I am going to try and slow down my water change / filter change regiment to encourage a bit of increase that way. I am also removing my gfo as my phosphates are at 0. they recommended a barrage of little changes lots of iodine, lithium, bromine, lots of Sulphur, manganese, molybdenum, vanadium, nickel and zinc I ordered the bottles as I am doing this for both of my tanks, but my office tank is running much more smoothly than my home one.

OP
OP
joporeefpro

joporeefpro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
25e7986a5b1645b6d8c72e2f587b57e5.jpg

Have reduced the frequency of water / filter changes, changed the lights to ab+ and have been feeding heavier, and we are starting to see minor improvements in coloration on what corals remain... waiting for triton dosing stuff to come in...

OP
OP
joporeefpro

joporeefpro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could send in for a Triton ICP test just to get a baseline of your parameters and make sure there isn't a chemical issue. Then start focusing on the rest of the system.

As for the temp swings, that is fine. It is changing over the course of an entire day. As another person said, the pH is fine. You may want to consider stray voltage, but take it one item at a time. Maybe send for the Triton test first, verify it's not undesirable levels of chemicals, then take it from there.
Guess what! I got electrocuted today in my tank! You win the sad truth I found the stray voltage! My skimmer pump has been leaking 110 into my tank!

MarylandTang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell us a bit more about the MRC sump? I'm assuming it's heavy duty PVC and not acrylic. It looks awesome and I'd love to see more pics and description of your thoughts behind the design.

Outdrsyguy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess what! I got electrocuted today in my tank! You win the sad truth I found the stray voltage! My skimmer pump has been leaking 110 into my tank!

Wow. Glad your okay! That's crazy! Did you have a gfci on the circuit and did it trip when you got shocked? I'll be curios to see if there's a noticeable affect on your tank after replacing. Of course with the triton and switching to higher nutrients it'll be nearly impossible to attribute success to any of those since so much changed at once.
Really glad you didn't end up being hurt!

OP
OP
joporeefpro

joporeefpro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Glad your okay! That's crazy! Did you have a gfci on the circuit and did it trip when you got shocked? I'll be curios to see if there's a noticeable affect on your tank after replacing. Of course with the triton and switching to higher nutrients it'll be nearly impossible to attribute success to any of those since so much changed at once.
Really glad you didn't end up being hurt!

Not hurt thanks, glad I wasn't alone my girlfriend happened to have been in the room and she saw me jump. Good point yes there was a gfi and no it didn't trip and neither did the breaker on the apex... hmmm

OP
OP
joporeefpro

joporeefpro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell us a bit more about the MRC sump? I'm assuming it's heavy duty PVC and not acrylic. It looks awesome and I'd love to see more pics and description of your thoughts behind the design.

The sump is a professional series by mrc, it is very well built and is my third mrc sump Raj is very accommodating to designing whatever you would like. We designed mine with a removable filter sock tray so you can easily remove the tray and clean the bottom of the filter sock cavity, and removable floor under the main area. a window for water level observation and sump / reactor observation. A first for mrc I had them make me a sliding bubble trap wall so I can drain my sump to 2" for water changes. And then a pump compartment with 2 bulkheads for pumps, a hole for a auto top of valve and a bulkhead for a pipe coming from my salt mix tank. All in all very nice! A little upset I was not offered uv as now they are building in uv. On the next one I guess....

OP
OP
joporeefpro

joporeefpro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone who followed this whole thread knows I am running 8 radion gen 1's over the tank... wondering what you all would suggest for lighting this tank if I for instance was looking to replace my radions I'm looking for input on quantity, layout and light suggestions. I am thinking about trying 4 current gen radion pros. Thoughts? Tank dimensions are 96" x 42" x 36"

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone who followed this whole thread knows I am running 8 radion gen 1's over the tank... wondering what you all would suggest for lighting this tank if I for instance was looking to replace my radions I'm looking for input on quantity, layout and light suggestions. I am thinking about trying 4 current gen radion pros. Thoughts? Tank dimensions are 96" x 42" x 36"
Are you thinking about sticking with leds? Because the gen 4's are meant to be amazing. If you were looking for some variety, I'd add in a couple of dual t5 setups or maybe even two halides and take out some Radions. I'm a big fan of the Radium blue halide which I've been running for about 3yrs now :)

It really depends on what you want to experiment with?

OP
OP
joporeefpro

joporeefpro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you thinking about sticking with leds? Because the gen 4's are meant to be amazing. If you were looking for some variety, I'd add in a couple of dual t5 setups or maybe even two halides and take out some Radions. I'm a big fan of the Radium blue halide which I've been running for about 3yrs now :)

It really depends on what you want to experiment with?

I'm not in a rush to do this but I am a technology geek and really like the latest and greatest aka led. That being said I don't really have a ton of head room for halides and I'm also nervous about the heat they put off. The guys at world wide corals told me when I was down there that 4 gen 4's would be enough light but I'm just worried about the edges being dark...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back