Jorunna funebris Nudibranch food

Raygamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello! i've discovered that Jorunna funebris nudibranch eat a type of blue sponge. i figured it out through testing and lfs and diving. i found them what i thought was eating a blue sponge while i was diving in indonesia. and then i went to my lfs to see if they had some blue sponges and they did and i talked to them about it and they tested it out and i was right!

they do eat them.

so. my question is. say all my water parameter is perfect and i had a food supply going would it be possible to really successfully keep them?

and also I just need advice on keeping nudibranch for those who had success already or experimented with them.

also if anyone know how to keep or what these type of sponge exactly are. please do let me know.

20210427_121214.jpg
20210427_121201.jpg

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen these called haliclona sp. but who knows whether that is accurate of not.

Judging from the one in my tank though, which gets carbon dosing, silicate dosing, powdered and liquid coral foods, what minimal growth there is will not sustain even one nudibranch longterm.

You'd probably need to perfect the sponges growth, maybe in a species tank /bioreactor first

OP
OP
R

Raygamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen these called haliclona sp. but who knows whether that is accurate of not.

Judging from the one in my tank though, which gets carbon dosing, silicate dosing, powdered and liquid coral foods, what minimal growth there is will not sustain even one nudibranch longterm.

You'd probably need to perfect the sponges growth, maybe in a species tank /bioreactor first

other than growth rate would you say they're hard to are for? i never had sponges before so i honestly dont know what they need

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
other than growth rate would you say they're hard to are for? i never had sponges before so i honestly dont know what they need
Well other than growth rate, what is there to judge whether they are hard or not, lol

My system is geared towards filter feeders, with heavy carbon dosing for heavy bacterial load, silicate dosing, powdered food on a auto feeder and regularly extra feeding with FM Min S, powdered food, and spirulina, and recently started with live phytoplankton.

Other than encrust a little bit onto rocks it touched by accident, it hasn't grown much, I hope the phyto changes that

As for random deaths that would contribute to it being called hard I guess, try not to expose it to air too much, blow off detritus that clogs it's pores, don't have sponge eating fish or nudibranches in the same tank lol.

If this can ever work, it would be a setup where you grow the sponges in one tank, and then take pieces out and feed them to the nudibranches in a different tank

But definitely worth a try, just get the sponge, even if you don't get much growth either, it's blue color is just absolutely beautiful.

Alexangely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had experiance keeping purple nudibranch alive just fine for a really long time ,i was wondering if its possible to buy some Jorunna funebris off you as well as some of the blue sponge?

OP
OP
R

Raygamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had experiance keeping purple nudibranch alive just fine for a really long time ,i was wondering if its possible to buy some Jorunna funebris off you as well as some of the blue sponge?
what did you feed them?

Back