Journey to a Reef Wonderland (From Step 0)

Requiemiero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Finally putting together a build thread for my first tank!

I am starting from Step 0, which is planning and research. So any and all advice on this rough blueprint for my tank is welcome! :) Now is the time for me to be pivoting and flexibly charting my course since I have only made one purchase on equipment so far!

This build is also going to change a lot based on the actual equipment that I manage to snag, but it will definitely be a nano tank equal to or less than 20 gallons! Don't have that much space for a bigger tank unfortunately.

A family friend said they would give me their old tank, but they didn't remember what size it was, so fingers crossed that it's not a pico tank! ;Nailbiting Not that I would turn it down for being a pico, but I wouldn't be able to fulfill my stocking dreams ;Meh If it does end up being like a 5 gallon, I'll start a separate build thread for that and keep looking for a 20 gallon for this one ;)

Because I'm weird, here's the key to reading the different colors in my list:
Rainbow colors indicate the order that I will add first. Red means first month after cycling. Then orange is like the next month. And green is like the next three months. And every color is in two-three month increments after that.)
Black and italicized means it's optional for me and can be added later after everything else or never.
Gray text is just my side notes.

Now, on to my livestock goals!

Livestock Goals:
  • 2 Ocellaris Clownfish
  • 1 Tiger Pistol Shrimp
  • 1 Yellow Watchman Goby
  • 2 Trochus Snails
  • 2 Nassarius Snails
  • 2 Cerith Snails
  • Blue Tuxedo Urchin
    • I know that my tank needs to be considerably established for an urchin and I will probably need to supplement their diet with nori. So I am not dead set on adding one. Let me know if they're not a good idea in a nano tank.
  • 1 Mushroom coral
  • 1 Pulsing Xenia
  • 1 Green Start Polyp
  • 1 Palythoa
    • I am in looooooove! I saw actual palys for the first time at the Florida Aquarium and I actually loved them so much more than zoas! I can hardly wait for my first palys ;Happy Btw, I know that they and zoas have palytoxins and will be using gloves to handle them. Would need gloves anyway because I don't want my lotions on my hands to get in the tank ever.
  • 1 Zoa
  • 1 Hammer coral
  • 1 Trumpet Coral
  • 1 Scoly
  • 1 Red Monti cap
  • 1 Birds nest or Gorgonian coral
  • 1 Chalice coral
  • 1 Blue Plating Sponge
    • Saw a picture of it and I think it looks awesome.
Holy Batman, when did my stocking list get so long!

Question 1: Is this too much for a 20 gallon? If so, I'll just stick to softies only and the 2 clownfish.
Question 2: Is my planned CUC too light?

And below is the equipment that I want to get to house my livestock. Please let me know whether this list would be suitable for what my goals are.

Equipment Goals:
  • IM Nuvo 20 or Mystery Tank
    • Waiting to see what our friend's tank turns out to be. Hoping it's at least a 20 gallon, but will probably be smaller. Feels like I'm waiting for my lottery numbers to be called since I don't see them again till Sunday!
  • BRS 5-Stage RODI
    • This may just be a regular 4-stage. I emailed my local water company asking if they treat the water with chloramines. If they do, then I'm going with the 5-stage. If not, then the 4-stage.
  • API Saltwater Test Kit
  • Salifert Test Kits
  • Refractometer
  • Jebao OW-10
  • Reef Saver Dry Rock 20 lbs
    • Love the idea of live rock, but also like the cheaper price of dry rock and the more control I can have over what's in my tank.
  • Special Grade Sand 20 lbs
  • Inkbird Heater Controller
  • Eheim Jager Heater 75 Watt
  • Float Valve (for ATO)
  • GFCI Power Strip
  • Titanium Grounding Probe
  • AI Prime HD
    • Checked off my list! I know it's kind of going backwards in terms of priority but I saw it at a reasonable price so I went for it! Says it's arriving Saturday night so will confirm if it's good then!
Question 3: What do you think of this setup and am I missing anything?

:D Thank you to everyone who helps me out! Once this is ironed out, then I'll actually be able to start moving forward with getting the stuff and taking pictures.

Excited to take these first steps with y'all!

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well now im excited with you!
Few notes...i would add cuc first and then your fish. Sounds about right to start your tank will tell you if you need more.
I think the coral list sounds just fine you can always frag as they grow.
And i didnt notice a skimmer listed in there...

OP
OP
Requiemiero

Requiemiero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well now im excited with you!
Few notes...i would add cuc first and then your fish. Sounds about right to start your tank will tell you if you need more.
I think the coral list sounds just fine you can always frag as they grow.
And i didnt notice a skimmer listed in there...

Thank you! So excited to be finally taking steps :) Been wanting to have a tank since 8 years ago but haven't had a chance to really dive in till now! Your tank looks really good BTW :)

Can you explain why CUC would go in before fish?

Glad to hear that my stocking list isn't crazy!

And I wasn't planning on getting a skimmer because from what I've read, nano tanks can get by with just weekly water changes. Was planning on adding a refugium down the line, but not really thinking about a skimmer to be honest.

Should I get a skimmer?

OP
OP
Requiemiero

Requiemiero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a mini update, I found out my water is indeed treated with chloramines so I'm going to need an extra carbon block in my RODI setup.

Also, side note, I put gorgonian in my stocking list thinking it was an acropora but it's actually a soft coral. Learning as I go!

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No skimmers arent necessary just handy...a fuge will do the same.
And thanks! Which did u look at the 120 or the 50 gal nem tank??
And i like to add cuc first as u come out of your cycle new uglies will show up and then they can get right to work on them before the added bioload adds to the algae.
And i love gorgs been growing and fragging them for years! Much more movement than an acro!

OP
OP
Requiemiero

Requiemiero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No skimmers arent necessary just handy...a fuge will do the same.
And thanks! Which did u look at the 120 or the 50 gal nem tank??
And i like to add cuc first as u come out of your cycle new uglies will show up and then they can get right to work on them before the added bioload adds to the algae.
And i love gorgs been growing and fragging them for years! Much more movement than an acro!
I looked at the 120! Really cool how you have the pictures showing progression :)

Also that makes sense to me so I'll add CUC first.

Yeah gorgonians are really pretty and since they're soft corals I figure I can introduce them to my tank around the same time as my other soft corals :) So it's a good discovery lol

Knightwolf1.025

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re still thinking about the IM nuvo 20, I just wanted to say I have had a nuvo 40 for a couple of years now and love it. It has almost the same footprint as the nuvo 20, and has a double the volume for added stability.
So glad you’re getting g into the reef hobby! Welcome, you’re stick list is a great place to start for sure. It’s also awesome to see that the test kits made their way onto your build components as they can prove to be some of the most important things to have.
Keep at it, hope you enjoy this hobby as much as the rest of us reef heads!

OP
OP
Requiemiero

Requiemiero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re still thinking about the IM nuvo 20, I just wanted to say I have had a nuvo 40 for a couple of years now and love it. It has almost the same footprint as the nuvo 20, and has a double the volume for added stability.
So glad you’re getting g into the reef hobby! Welcome, you’re stick list is a great place to start for sure. It’s also awesome to see that the test kits made their way onto your build components as they can prove to be some of the most important things to have.
Keep at it, hope you enjoy this hobby as much as the rest of us reef heads!
Thanks! Unfortunately the 40 is still bigger than I am comfortable with in my space. Honestly a 10 gallon would fit the best, but I'm pushing for 20 for added stability.

OP
OP
Requiemiero

Requiemiero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE #2:

The lottery numbers are in!

My friend brought out their tank and... It's a 10 gallon that was previously a freshwater setup! :)

20200216_223248.jpg

I am super thankful to my friend for giving me their old tank! It's finally happening! My first tank is coming together!

Is it exactly what I wanted? No.

Am I still happy? Yes! :) This opens up an avenue for me to save money, upgrade in the future, and best of all, I have the perfect quarantine tank already :)

So far I have not tested out anything to see whether it works, but shown in the picture is a 24 watt light, old heater, air stone pump with very dirty air stone, lid, and some doodads that may have been part of a filter. The equipment is all old Penn Plax brand.

Really doubt I can use anything other than the tank, but will see whether anything's worth salvaging.

Question 1: I know I can't clean the tank with soap. Do I clean it with vinegar and RODI water? Is tap water okay for cleaning?

So now for the hard part... Deciding what to give up since the tank is smaller than I initially planned.

Revised Livestock Goals:
  • 1 Trochus Snails
  • 1 Nassarius Snails
  • 1 Cerith Snails
  • 1 Ocellaris Clownfish OR 1 Blue Green Chromis OR 1 Pajama Cardinal
    • I would love to have at least one fish that swims freely around the tank since the goby shrimp pair are on the bottom, but I'm having trouble determining what could fit.
  • 1 Tiger Pistol Shrimp
  • 1 Yellow Watchman Goby
    • I think I'm pretty adamant about wanting to keep the goby shrimp pair even if they're the only residents in the nano. They're so unique and fun to watch. (To be honest before I started doing research about how hardy clownfish are, I didn't even consider having clownfish because I thought they were overrated.)
  • 1 Mushroom coral
  • 1 Pulsing Xenia
  • 1 Green Start Polyp
  • 1 Palythoa
  • 1 Zoa
  • 1 Gorgonian
  • 1 Hammer coral
  • 1 Trumpet Coral
  • 1 Scoly
  • 1 Chalice coral
  • 1 Red Monti cap
  • 1 Birds nest
  • 1 Blue Plating Sponge
Question 2: Is it possible to have a third fish, or no? I'll just stick to the goby shrimp pair if not.

Updated Equipment Goals:

• 10 Gallon Tank
  • BRS 5-Stage RODI
  • Aquaclear 70
    • Adding this because the tank my friend gave me does not have a sump, so this will basically be in place of that.
  • API Saltwater Test Kit
  • Salifert Test Kits
  • Refractometer
  • Jebao OW-10
  • Reef Saver Dry Rock 10 lbs
  • Special Grade Sand 10 lbs
  • Inkbird Heater Controller
  • Eheim Jager Heater 75 Watt
  • Float Valve (for ATO)
  • GFCI Power Strip
  • Titanium Grounding Probe
  • AI Prime HD
    • Got the light! Ran into an issue with it though so I'm trying to see if I can resolve it before shipping it back for a refund. In case anyone knows a solution, the indicator light is solid white and won't change no matter how long or how I press the reset button. And I can't get it to pair to my phone or wifi. In the app it doesn't show up at all.
Thank you everyone for the initial feedback!

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different light, and different problem, but my AI Hydra 32 had the rainbow light mode going when I got it. After some quick research, the one component comes loose during shipping so had to just unscrew the top push it back down and it seemed to fix the problem. Quick search on R2R was all it took for me to fix what I initially thought was going to be a return. Hopefully you have an equally easy/successful remedy!

OP
OP
Requiemiero

Requiemiero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different light, and different problem, but my AI Hydra 32 had the rainbow light mode going when I got it. After some quick research, the one component comes loose during shipping so had to just unscrew the top push it back down and it seemed to fix the problem. Quick search on R2R was all it took for me to fix what I initially thought was going to be a return. Hopefully you have an equally easy/successful remedy!
Unfortunately it has to be sent for an RMA, but it's no fault of the seller! We both just ran into some bad luck and he refunded me completely.

I'll just continue my search for parts, which is fine.

Thanks for the help though!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back