OP
OP
.Chris.

.Chris.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, as usual, here's what I had planned to get done, and we'll go through them to see where each one stands.

1. Finish the danged central vacuum once and for all.
  2. Finish attaching the RO lines to the unit, w/c bin and RODI holding tank above the sump.
  3. Run the pipes through the ceiling for the w/c bin to the main sump and to the QT area, as well as the QT drain line back the other way. This is the biggest priority.
  4. Plumb the drain manifold. My friend and I came up with a much more elegant solution than I had planned, which should make my life far easier than anticipated. I estimate this to not take too much time, and I may do this ahead of the ceiling plumbing.
  5. I think next weekend the tank will finally go in its resting place. If I do this, I will finish the waterproof box for the outlet, and shim the tank to make it level.

No pictures of #1 but rest assured, it is finally done and tested. Works like a charm. My girlfriend is not entirely pleased with the 'industrial' look of it, as this last outlet is outside of the wall, but given my limited options this was what was available to me. In the future when we re-do the basement, I'll make it nicer. For now, it's functional.

#2 is done for all intents and purposes. The unit itself is completely plumbed, and attached to all relevant lines. I've added in the DI to my new refillable canister, and put a new membrane in it. The only thing that's missing is attaching the fill lines to the RODI holding tank above my sump and the W/C bin, as well as the drain line. I've yet to do the fill lines final attachment because I'm still moving those two things around a bit, and the drain line will wait for the drain manifold.

I did also complete the emergency overflow on the W/C bin. I used a Uniseal for the first time ever, and hopefully they work as advertised. If it doesn't, I have an industrial reverse threaded bulkhead which I'll put in its place.

aVDMvaI.jpg
bl9ywlb.jpg

I wish the emergency overflow wasn't exposed like that, but unfortunately, the ABS drain is not really accessible for this sink. And while it's not strictly necessary, I have a finished basement with no floor drains, so I can't risk a flood. Everything fails eventually.

#3 was the big project this weekend, which I'm happy to report was completed in full. I've run and glued all the necessary plumbing in the suspended ceiling, as well as fixed everything in place with clamps. I've left myself access to the outlets for all of the areas it needs to go, but I stopped short of running anything down from the ceiling. It's not pretty everywhere, but sadly there were obstacles I didn't foresee causing issues, so there's some interesting avoidance with 90 and 45 elbows in some places. Also, gluing everything at the correct angles even with marks is difficult when your head is in the ceiling.

dAV27Bi.jpg

That's the first glued joint on the whole project. Success.

zbAlhhF.jpg

That's the outlet which fills the sump from the w/c bin, and the drain line from the QT area. The 90-90-tee jog you see on the left is because I discovered that about 6 feet to the left of this photo, there's an added piece of 2x4 on the joist which they used to support the central vacuum tubing at some point, which is invisible unless seen from the perfect angle. My suspended ceiling is done in such a way that I couldn't get in there to remove the 2x4, so I had to work around it.

lmd5fO9.jpg

This is from the W/C bin going over the central air ducting to the sump. Because there's already the central vacuum tubing, I had to do some interesting angles to fit it through the X-bracing between the floor joists.

#'s 4 and 5 were not done. I spent more time on the ceiling plumbing than I thought, so it didn't get finished. I did do another couple of small things. I drilled some of the holes in my QT stand for the plumbing, as well as drilled the hole in the new 30g QT tank that I picked up this week, and glued in the unions for the true union ball valves on the bulkheads.

8UvtCuD.jpg

BohhiRg.jpg

This is a pretty straightforward finish. Should not take very long.

I made a small error with the plumbing on the 30g, and I'm not willing to fix it by destroying a bulkhead and a $20 valve. I made the decision to put the valve behind the tank, rather than send a 90 elbow downwards, then put the valve, because I don't want to reach under that tank to open the valve every time. But I also didn't realise how little space I'd have to reach that valve. I'm tall, so it's not the end of the world, but I'm debating if I send the plumbing behind the stand, or if I turn the tank around and have it sticking out the front. That's to be decided next weekend though.

That's it for this week, but here's the plan for next weekend.

1. Now that I've started the plumbing for the QT, my intention is to finish it, with all the drains, returns, and put the electrical in place. I'll also have to shim the stand, and fix it to the OSB wall behind it so it doesn't rack.
  2. I will connect the ceiling plumbing to the w/c bin, and the RODI line to the w/c bin float valve. I will probably also at this time jig out the lid to accommodate the line coming from the ceiling into the bin, and fix the plumbing from the sump pump in there. And if I get that far, I'll finish this aspect and get the electrical done here.
  3. The drain manifold will get done next weekend. This necessitates me fixing the sump in place, which means I have to shim the sump to make sure it's level. Once that's in place, I can connect up the RODI holding tank above the sump to the drain (for the emergency overflow), as well as the QT drain line to the manifold, and get the RODI waste water line done up. Of course, I will also connect the main and emergency drains from the sump to it.
  4. If all that gets done, I will put the display tank into its final position and shim it. This also requires me jigging out the hole in the back of the stand for the plumbing going from the sump side of the wall to under the display, as well as making the hole for the wiring grommit that we'll pass the ATI wires through, and the hole for the waterproof box.

If the stars align, and I get all of that done, I estimate that we'll be 70% finished. Beyond that, we will have the following things to do to achieve 100% completion:

• Plumb the main return line, reactor manifold (which for now will have only the Clarisea and a bypass on it) and display tank drain lines.
  • Fill QT tanks with saltwater and run them in order to receive my current fish for re-QTing them.
  • Run all the electrical for the main sump.
  • Hang the light fixture.
  • Acid and bleach the rock from my current tanks.
  • Water test the tank.
  • Install MP40s.
  • Scape the tank.
  • Fill the tank.
  • Build and install the mesh top for the tank.
  • Put the facing on the stand (But I don't expect this to happen until the fall, at earliest. My cabinet maker friend is getting married at the end of August, so he won't have time until at least October, I think).

I'm probably forgetting some stuff, but when I lay it out, it doesn't seem so daunting.

Until next time, my friends.

OP
OP
.Chris.

.Chris.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From last week...

1. Now that I've started the plumbing for the QT, my intention is to finish it, with all the drains, returns, and put the electrical in place. I'll also have to shim the stand, and fix it to the OSB wall behind it so it doesn't rack.
  2. I will connect the ceiling plumbing to the w/c bin, and the RODI line to the w/c bin float valve. I will probably also at this time jig out the lid to accommodate the line coming from the ceiling into the bin, and fix the plumbing from the sump pump in there. And if I get that far, I'll finish this aspect and get the electrical done here.
  3. The drain manifold will get done next weekend. This necessitates me fixing the sump in place, which means I have to shim the sump to make sure it's level. Once that's in place, I can connect up the RODI holding tank above the sump to the drain (for the emergency overflow), as well as the QT drain line to the manifold, and get the RODI waste water line done up. Of course, I will also connect the main and emergency drains from the sump to it.
  4. If all that gets done, I will put the display tank into its final position and shim it. This also requires me jigging out the hole in the back of the stand for the plumbing going from the sump side of the wall to under the display, as well as making the hole for the wiring grommit that we'll pass the ATI wires through, and the hole for the waterproof box.

#1. The entire QT system is finished, excepting some cable management. I'm not entirely sure what I want to do here, and what I've done so far I'm not happy with. The plumbing was pretty straightforward, just long due to lots of angle calculations.

Here's how it turned out.

nYkrWeF.jpg

This is the main plumbing area coming from the other room. The pipe on the right is the drain line, which takes water from the bin below the QT tanks to the drain in the other room. The pipe on the right is the fill line. This comes from my w/c bin in the other room.

tWjyH5f.jpg

Each tank is equipped with a 100w heater, AquaClear 30, Koralia powerhead, thermometer and egg crate bottom.

NUIM034.jpg

At the bottom you can see the black bin which receives the drained water. It should be large enough to accommodate the entire 30G QT tank when waterchanging.

U8bsWFV.jpg

Here you can see the drains going into the bin and the top of the pump going to the drain.

#2. This has also been completely finished. The bin is in place, removable via unions for cleaning behind it occasionally. It's equipped with a 300w Eheim heater, Mag 5 for circulation/mixing and the sump pump for moving the water where it has to go. I may switch the Mag 5 for something else if I find it too loud, which would probably be a Jebao DC pump, or another Sicce to have as another backup.

TY2c3I5.jpg

UubxHza.jpg

#3. I began work on this Sunday afternoon, but in the end, the QT plumbing took so long that I couldn't complete it. The first steps are done, though, and it'll give me a good idea of where I need to go from here. I don't anticipate it taking too long, given that we're working with relatively simple angles here.

9ahrStx.jpg

This is all glued up. I left some water in the P-trap to prevent any potential gasses from coming through the line, though I doubt that'll occur.

TzUMPnY.jpg

This ended up being the most space saving idea of all of the ones I had, and it worked perfectly. On top of saving space, it's at the perfect level to give me a drain slope.

Obviously with not having completed that, #4 didn't get worked on. I'm not unhappy about that, because I got a lot done this weekend, and I feel I'm progressing quickly now.

Next weekend is a big, important one in the project. I've set some stuff up which necessitates me getting a lot done in a short amount of time.

1. Thursday night when I get to the house from work, I'm going to have to plumb up the rest of the drain manifold, or at least run an RO line from the waste water output to the drain, as I need to fill that w/c bin, get it salted and heated. Ideally I would fill and run the QT tanks that night as well, but I'll be getting up early Friday morning to work on this as well.
  2. Friday afternoon, I'm returning to my apartment in order to bag up my fish from my current tanks, drain them out, remove and transport the live rock. The rock will be acid treated at my work, so I don't risk any damage to my own patio or asphalt. I'll then bring the rock and fish to my house, and get the fish into QT. The rock will be left in a bleach solution outdoors for a week.
  3. If I don't finish the drain manifold Thursday night/Friday morning, I'll continue on this. I want to have everything drain manifold related connected for sure this weekend. That means RODI waste water, RODI holding tank emergency overflow bulkhead, main and overflow drains on sump.
  4. The tank will go into its final location this coming weekend, and I will make the hole in the stand for the wiring grommet, put the waterproof electrical box in.
  5. If I manage to do all of that, I'll start getting going on the return lines from the sump, for the tank itself and the reactor manifold.

The rush this coming weekend, specifically for the stand to go into place, and the rock to get treated, is because I'm having all my fish friends over on the 30th to Aquascape the tank. The hope is that I can get it running by April 1. I may be a bit premature in that hope, but we'll see what we can do.

Of course, this all requires that I get approval for a day off this coming Friday. My manager seemed iffy, but I might force the issue considering the overtime I've put in lately.

See you next week, friends.

OP
OP
.Chris.

.Chris.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ideas for the aquascape style you're looking for? How about stocking plans? ;Bookworm

In the past I've always scaped my tanks in islands or sections. I'm not sure if I'll do the same this time. I know for sure that there will be lots of shelves for tabling acropora species, and given the depth of the tank I will probably have to do at least two islands for efficiency reasons given that I only have about 180lbs of rock total but a lot of surface area to cover.

For stocking, we'll start with what I have, which is:
  • Arthur the Goldrim Tang
  • Squibbly the Kole Tang
  • Delta the Purple Tang
  • Blue (formerly Little Blue) the Hippo Tang
  • Sunny the Yellow Tang
  • Deedee and Frankie the regular Ocellaris pair
  • The Little Meeps the black Ocellaris pair
  • PT (Purple Thunder) the Royal Gramma
Theoretically there's also Noodle, the Rainford Goby, but I haven't seen him since I switched tanks. But he's very good at hiding.

After that I have a list but I doubt that everything will make it on there:

Mystery wrasse
Sargassum trigger
Genicanthus angels (trio of some kind)
Sailfin tang
Halichoeres wrasses
Leopard wrasses
Mccosker trio
Fairy wrasse pair
Hector goby
Vampire goby+shrimp
Chevron tang
Basslets
Fathead anthias
Jawfish
Geometric hawk
Possum wrasse
Randall's goby+shrimp
Naso

Some are must haves, like the Sargassum trigger, Geometric Hawk and Possum Wrasse. Others are just flights of fancy if one day down the road ten years one of my tangs dies.

Corals will be predominantly acros, with some montis, stylophora, chalices and maybe some brains (most likely of the micromussa variety).

OP
OP
.Chris.

.Chris.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smallish update this week, mostly due to lack of having taken many pictures.

On the bright side, I got everything done that I wanted to do this weekend, for once!

1. Thursday night when I get to the house from work, I'm going to have to plumb up the rest of the drain manifold, or at least run an RO line from the waste water output to the drain, as I need to fill that w/c bin, get it salted and heated. Ideally I would fill and run the QT tanks that night as well, but I'll be getting up early Friday morning to work on this as well.
  2. Friday afternoon, I'm returning to my apartment in order to bag up my fish from my current tanks, drain them out, remove and transport the live rock. The rock will be acid treated at my work, so I don't risk any damage to my own patio or asphalt. I'll then bring the rock and fish to my house, and get the fish into QT. The rock will be left in a bleach solution outdoors for a week.
  3. If I don't finish the drain manifold Thursday night/Friday morning, I'll continue on this. I want to have everything drain manifold related connected for sure this weekend. That means RODI waste water, RODI holding tank emergency overflow bulkhead, main and overflow drains on sump.
  4. The tank will go into its final location this coming weekend, and I will make the hole in the stand for the wiring grommet, put the waterproof electrical box in.
  5. If I manage to do all of that, I'll start getting going on the return lines from the sump, for the tank itself and the reactor manifold.

Thursday night I got to the house and set up the RODI waste water line temporarily in order to fill my waterchange bin. I left it to fill and went to work Friday.

Friday I did go back to my apartment, and got my tanks drained, fish bagged up, live rock into plastic bins. I went to my work and re-oxygened the fish, and used muriatic acid on the rock. Everything ended up taking a lot longer than anticipated, since I was only able to fill the tanks Friday night, and my friend and I finished at 2am. Fish were successfully added to the QTs, with only one minor hiccup. My hippo tang had been attacking my yellow tang for a while, and the stress of the moved caused a bacterial infection to breakout. His dorsal fin is rotting away, and there's blood in the fin. I waterchanged him several times and he's breathing easier today. I'll probably dose him with nitrofurazone Tuesday night and treat him through the use.

ITvrmoh.jpg

The drain manifold was complete, with two small exceptions. The RODI waste line is missing a threaded fitting. This is because instead of just slapping the RODI waste line into an open pipe, I ended up deciding to cap the line, and tap it to put a 1/4" OD push-fit to threaded fitting in. It'll look cleaner. Also, the final location of where the RODI water holding tank overflow line ended up doesn't quite work with the plan of my drain manifold, so I need a couple of fittings to make it clean looking, so I held off until I get those this week.

bW3cVWA.jpg

And to top it all off, the tank went into its final location. I can move it if I have to, but I would prefer not to.

So, here's next week's plan.
  1. Begin working on the lines from the tank itself. I should be able to finish this, and if I do, this will complete the plumbing.
  2. Aquascape the tank! I have a bunch of fish friends coming over Saturday to help with this. I bleached my rocks and they're sitting outside, so Friday night I'll have to rinse them off and prime the hell out of the buckets.
  3. Sunday I'll get the equipment in place and set up the wires in the sump.

Have a good week, friends! See you next time.

OP
OP
.Chris.

.Chris.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the fun stuff happened this weekend. I finally got some water and rock in the tanks.

But first the boring.

I finished the plumbing, more or less. I had a small hiccup with my Clarisea, where apparently I have the standard fitting, and not imperial, so I'm having a buddy turn me an adaptor on his lathe. Otherwise, everything is glued and attached.

3lNI6Kr.jpg

iveDkOW.jpg

I07pwSs.jpg

Saturday night I had a bunch of my fish nerd friends over. We had a lot of fun putting the rock in the tank, and I think we came up with something really nice.

2yuG61Q.jpg

lqGghqU.jpg

udliKXR.jpg

MAwD22l.jpg

bubcJs1.jpg

HHTic9A.jpg

SMdbA7k.jpg

I used almost all of my Marco semi-flat rock. Mostly as a base to build the rest on. I had a lot of premium Vanuatu and Haiti rock with interesting shapes, so that was meant to be the main focus. I did make use of a couple of large semi-flat pieces flat-side up as an eventual base for tabling acros.

So that's pretty much it for last weekend. I could have done more, but I cleaned up the house in preparation for my guests, and also spent some time with a couple of guys who quoted me on repairing my deck. Three times what I could do it for myself, so I'll do it myself once the snow thaws and everything dries up.

So my plan for next weekend is as follows:
  1. Put the equipment in place, including the MP40s, Skimmer and pumps, and run the wires and make it all neat.
  2. Get the sump filled up with tap water and run the tank to test for leaks.
  3. Stir up the sand and drain out for a good rinsing, then I'll start filling with RODI water.
  4. I'll try to get around to building the cover for the tank, but I might need a second pair of hands for that.
  5. I'm ordering the brackets I'm going to use for the lights, so I might put them up, even if I don't hang the lights.
We'll see where we get with this. I might also build myself a little work table, since I have nothing to work on currently in my basement. I have some spare wood from when I temporarily reinforced my deck.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back