JP's IM Nuvo fusion 20 peninsula

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi R2R, it's been 4 months since i setup two new tanks, and i'll be taking them down, and replace them with a new one.

i thought it was the best idea i ever had. setup twin 10's
then it turns out, it's twice the amount of work, and equipment LOL :D

so, black Friday @Bulk Reef Supply made me do it...

i'll be transferring all the livestock from both 10's into the new 20, as well as all the other equipment.

J.

OP
OP
J

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it took UPS three rescheduled delivery dates, but it finally got here.

15760449810020.jpg

J.

OP
OP
J

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
decided to try something different... instead of painting, or plasti dipping the back panel, this time i applied black vinyl. came out pretty good. not a perfect professional job, but good enough :)

so yeah... i'm not using the peninsula as a peninsula.
the filter section will be sitting at the right side, similar to how i built my custom AIO of my previos 20 tall and 40 breeder.

J.

OP
OP
J

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
started making RODI water last night, to fill up a temporary holding container to house rocks and livestock while i break down the two 10's and setup the new 20.

DI output hit 1 TDS. I guess it's time to change the filters :)

J.

OP
OP
J

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
started preparing the tanks transfer.

18 gallon storage container with 10 gallons worth of freshly mixed saltwater, and a rock that has been curing for a few weeks, and used to be in my old tank, then cut in half.
and yes, i glued frag plugs under it to make it level, and raise it up a bit.

a koralia nano for flow, a neotherm heater and two current usa ic loop LED strips.

two zoa frags, some gsp (that refuse to open us), and a skeleton rock with some tiny zoa and some sponge are in to "condition" the water, and see if they survive.

going to do a water change in the two 10 gallon tanks, and add the "dirty" water to this holding tank.
when it's time to transfer everyting over to this container, it should be closely matched to the tank water.

i will fill up the new 20 gallon with the water from this container, and top off with new salt mix if it's not enough.

not sure if i'll get all of that done by this weekend... probably not :)

15768894027360.jpg

J.

OP
OP
J

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all the rocks and livestock has been transferred over to temporary holding container.

so far, no casualties, but the neon and trimma gobies are MIA...
they either went into the overflow when chasing things with the net, or were hiding inside the rocks when i moved them over. hopefully i'll find them tomorrow.

15769910185011.jpg

J.

OP
OP
J

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so far, no casualties, but the neon and trimma gobies are MIA...
they either went into the overflow when chasing things with the net, or were hiding inside the rocks when i moved them over. hopefully i'll find them tomorrow.

all fish have been accounted for! both gobies must have been hiding inside a rock.

my only acro didn't like the transfer and RTN'ed overnight.
it still has some tissue on it, hope it'll pull through.

J.

OP
OP
J

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
made some good progress yesterday.

siphoned out the two 10's through a filter sock, into a few buckets.
yes, i believe i still have some dinos that are trying to gain the upper hand,

did a 10x dose of hydrogen peroxide in the buckets, and let it sit for a few hours, before filling up the new tank, with old tank water. then moved most of the rocks from the holding tank over into the 20.
a sexy shrimp, pompom crab, and at least one asterina hiked along.

one Koralia nano 565 is installed right under the return pump nozzle.
i will be adding one or two more as well as a MP-10 once there's enough livestock in the tank.

re-assembled the old AI hydra tank mount, with custom acrylic insert that i put together, and put the two hydra 26hd with diffusers on it. this should give enough spread, while not having to run the light at full power.

up until now, i always used that mount and lights as intended, mount them under the rails, but i feel like they were too close to the water that way, especially in a rather shallow tank.

running a filter sock in the overflow now, to clear up the water a bit after moving the rocks around, and turkey basting them.

water temp last night was 71F, with a small NeoTherm heather in it, this morning it was up to 76F.

and finally... a cellphone pic, lights out, and flash on :)

the right side of the tank will be occupied by another taller rock, similar to the left side.

so, two taller rocks on the ends, lower rock in the middle. this will be high light area for SPS.

15771152741261.jpg

J.

OP
OP
J

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
started the transfer of livestock from the holding tank into the new IM 20

Aaaand... big darwin clown nemo chased the little nemo and made him jump into the overflow... no way i'm getting him out of there :(

J.

OP
OP
J

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
re-assembled the old AI hydra tank mount, with custom acrylic insert that i put together, and put the two hydra 26hd with diffusers on it. this should give enough spread, while not having to run the light at full power.

up until now, i always used that mount and lights as intended, mount them under the rails, but i feel like they were too close to the water that way, especially in a rather shallow tank.

some more pics showing how the lights are mounted.
custom acrylic sheet with cutouts

and diffusers installed on the lights.

currently running in 1 month acclimation mode. right now drawing around 16 watts per light, peak intensity.

and yes, little nemo is still stuck in the overflow :( every time he sees the net gets close, he hides... really well.

15777414351181.jpg

15777414350860.jpg

15777414351352.jpg

J.

OP
OP
J

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first water test, and transfer of the last piece of liverock from the holdding tub (dark plus peroxide treatment to kill dinos)

SG: 34.6 ppt
NO3: 2.5 ppm - first time ever i get measurable nitrates without dosing!
PO4: 0.037 ppm
Alk: 9.3 dKh

and a crappy picture after rearranging the rocks so things fit.

still acclimating the lights until end on the month.

still running UV for another week or so, hopefully that'll take care of the dinos that may still be in these old rocks.

not sure about the little bridge i made in between the left tall rock and center rock.

15781828432860.jpg

J.

OP
OP
J

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
took this shot a few days ago after lights out, with a flashlight.
favia was reaching out :)

15783647799400.jpg

J.

OP
OP
J

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one of two SPS that survived the old tank AND the move is a metallic birdsnest.
almost lost it, but it seems to be recovering.

when i first got it, late October 2019.

15789438695691.jpg

early November 2019

15789436334030.jpg

aaaand... today :)

4 tips survived, and are starting to recover their color.

15789439126452.jpg

J.

OP
OP
J

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's the other one, in the series... SPS that i didn't manage to kill yet :)

September 2018
the piece that i removed from the plug died, but this little sliver kept on living... not thriving, though.

15789467783090.jpg

July 2019

15789457183460.jpg

And today!
some color is coming back.

15789471027651.jpg

J.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening

just got caught up on the build. The only thing better than new car smell is new tank smell. Cangrat. good job on the transition. i like the rock, looks like mountains or peaks, cool. Keep us updated

OP
OP
J

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just got caught up on the build. The only thing better than new car smell is new tank smell. Cangrat. good job on the transition. i like the rock, looks like mountains or peaks, cool. Keep us updated

Thanks!

yeah, wanted to do something different wit the scape. i like the minimalistic look, but with such a relatively small tank, and not much rock to pick from, i couldn't find what i was looking for, so i went with a "valley" type scape.

the plan is to have the center valley be SPS.

J.

OP
OP
J

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got a few new things in over the weekend, but i'm going to let them get happy first, so i don't take pictures of new frags that RTN a few days alter :) so far so good though, everything is open.

two acans... one single head teal and red

one that's pretty beaten up, but is showing orange/rainbow potential. if this one doesn't make it, that wouldn't surprise me.

zoa frag (everything at my LFS is "unnamed"). but they kinds look like scrambled eggs, or some morph that looks like it.

3 favia frags, that will go onto "favia rock" :)

one SPS, unknown no name acropora, that is showing multiple colors.
i got a frag of it before, and it didn't make it. fingers crossed on this one.

and a little pipe organ frag. it looked soo cool.
not sure if it likes its current spot, i think it's getting too much flow.
anyone got experience with these?

and picked up one more TINY neon gobie, this one had a bit of a yellow stripe on its head.
hope my blue one (full grown) doesn't beat him up.

still looking for one more fish, something that swims out in the open.
been thinking about a Royal Gramma, or maybe one of the more docile Damsels... a Springer's or Azure maybe?

J.

OP
OP
J

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aaaand... big darwin clown nemo chased the little nemo and made him jump into the overflow... no way i'm getting him out of there :(

and yes, little nemo is still stuck in the overflow :( every time he sees the net gets close, he hides... really well.

well... two days ago, i turned off the return pump, and disconnected it from the return nozzle, letting the water level in the "filter" level off with the display, and leave a hole in between both.

next day, "little nemo" was spotted in the display tank!

Today however, it was stuck to the intake of one of the koralia pumps; dead. RIP little nemo.

J.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back