Jrad’s Hybrid anti carpet surfing top

JRAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 tank raised Kamohara blennies. They were in a 2o gal qt with a glass canopy. They are skittish and jumpy fish. I received my custom all in one tank and I needed to set it up where the 20 gallon quarantine tank was. I’ve moved the Blennies into a 10 gallon cube. I put some egg crate light diffuser on top of the tank to keep them from jumping out. I did not think the Blennies could fit through the holes. The first night when the lights came on I heard a slight rustling sound from the plastic egg crate and then a splat. One of the blennies jumped through the egg crate and was on the floor. I rescued him/her and put them back in the tank. The next morning the exact same thing happened. I got some clear quarter inch mesh and put that over the egg crate. That kept them from jumping out of the quarantine tank. It also gave me an idea regarding how I can make a cheap easy top for my new tank.
9D8FCFC8-1F0A-44F0-9528-0DC2730F6F8C.jpeg

All you need is a 2x4 foot light diffuser panel,cutting pliers and 4 inch white or clear cable ties. BRS sells clear mash screen in quarter inch and 1/8 inch hole size. Home Depot sells the rest. Total cost is about $20.
FDAD60D6-BAE8-471D-B9F8-C45B762B17AB.jpeg

The first thing I did was to cut some clear acrylic strips and glue them around the perimeter of the opening of my tank. I didn’t want this to be permanent in case I didn’t like it so I just used silicone. If you have a rimless tank you can buy clips from Amazon that fit on the rim and do the same thing.

D0DB8B8E-3223-4A48-8A48-64A20534649E.jpeg

The next thing I did was to cut a piece of light diffuser was a little larger than the opening of my tank. Then I cut it to fit just inside the opening.
DCBD0BA4-B6D3-445E-96BB-836FE26BC576.jpeg

The next step is to cut out the middle of the diffuser to make a frame. I leave it a little wider in the back to allow for cutouts for equipment.
743EA679-1843-48F5-8D8A-107E03785DD3.jpeg

The next step is to take some of the mesh in cut it to the right size and then secure it with the cable ties around the periphery. It works best to do one side and secure it then put some tension on it while you secure the other side so it gets rid of some of the wrinkles.
E25EE1AB-E6EB-414E-BD7B-26604493B752.jpeg

Use a cable tie approximately every inch or two. I ended up with about double what you see in the above picture. After you have it secured you can cut the cable ties short. I cut them flush.
B8E38E31-A8A0-4608-84D0-CDC82CBC295C.jpeg

That’s it – now you have a top that will keep the fish from jumping out and still let your light in!
ABE1A1BD-338A-4984-B5FE-0EC161CE43AC.jpeg

One last thing -I ended up putting another small piece of acrylic at each corner for additional support. (Not shown in the last pic.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I was going to do exactly that when my tank is allowed to have fish again. Great minds think alike!!!! I have the same with the egg crate and 1/4" mesh on my qts to prevent jumping too. I do not have lights on fish qt. Thanks for sharing. I would never have thought of pictures and sharing when I cut my final pieces. :)

OP
OP
JRAD

JRAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I was going to do exactly that when my tank is allowed to have fish again. Great minds think alike!!!! I have the same with the egg crate and 1/4" mesh on my qts to prevent jumping too. I do not have lights on fish qt. Thanks for sharing. I would never have thought of pictures and sharing when I cut my final pieces. :)
Glad you liked it -nothing worse than fish jumping out and turning into fish jerky overnight!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back