View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
potm-thread-graphic-new-jpg.939632

Welcome to the Reef2Reef POTM Contest - Photo of the Month

Sponsored by Avast Marine!

This month's subject - Blue Coral

Deadline to Enter: Jul 31, 2020 at 11:59 pm (EST)

Looking forward to another amazing POTM this month, so many blue coral choices and expecting amazing pictures from all to do your favorite blue coral justice! Remember, the photo has to have been taken by you, and the coral has to be in your aquarium, or the ocean. would be even better if colony has been grown by you to post a pic of when you first got it as well so we enjoy some great growth shots with this POTM.

This is a photo contest after all and we're looking for the best photograph. Yes, you can use a post-editing product to better your pictures. In fact, we encourage it.
Few tips:
- Experiment with different composition, maybe a dd a moving fish for more dynamics and sense of scale in your shot.
- Play with DOF using aperture to blur the background or have different effects
-Blue corals in general look better under whiter light so bump those whites and try a few shots.

As always refer to the multiple photography articles or post any questions you might have on the photography forum for better support. Maybe go to the photography forum and post a few pictures for suggestions and critique to improve your shots wile preparing for this months contest as well.

Prize: POTM Winner Banner, one year free Premium Membership and an Avast Marine Porthole courtesy of Avast Marine. Details below. (Note: Winners located outside the United States will be responsible for applicable shipping costs)

How To Enter:
Entering is easy, just a few simple guidelines to follow:
  • Enter ONE photo, taken by you of the subject for the month before the deadline
  • If you enter a second photo, it will be deleted so choose wisely before posting your entry
  • Multiple entries, off subject photos, or broken image links will be disqualified
  • Entries must be submitted before the deadline
  • Photo must be taken by you and in your tank or in the ocean
  • You must have an avatar uploaded when you enter
  • Prior winner (within the last 6 months) are welcome to enter, but not eligible for the prizes
  • In order to qualify to win the Avast Marine Porthole you must also like the Avast Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/avast.marine/
Winner Selection:
The mod team will select up to 15 finalists and a poll will be created and posted in the Reef Discussion Forum. The Grand Prize Winner will be determined by Reef2Reef member voting. To be eligible to vote, you must have been a member for 30 days and have 25 meaningful posts. Votes by members not meeting this criteria will be disregarded in the final count. In the case of a tie, the mod team will assist in choosing the winner. Rules, deadlines and terms are subject to change, without notice, at any time. The winner will be posted and tagged in the voting poll and will have 48 hours to claim the prize.

As this is a photography competition, and the goal is to recognize the highest quality picture. So take your time, do your post shot editing, and submit your best image.

The Prize:

OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#POTM #Photographers #reefsquad #MODS

Jul 2020 POTM is up and running. Good luck all and let's see some great shots.
Please do share the following info about your submissions to make POTM a learning experience:

Tehnical info
- Camera/mobile phone used for the shot
- Lense
-parameters (aperture, shutter, speed Flash)

also do share:
choice of your subject
what makes it special
what made you chose the composition you went with
Any other elements that make you like the picture you took.

Most important let it be a fun competition and lets see some amazing pictures.
good luck all.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Started at the size of a quarter and now paper plate size. Under Orphek Atlantik lighting and pic taken with I-phone X

A967E792-F021-4956-AD19-773810A6C15F.jpeg

Started at the size of a quarter. Now almost paper plate size. Deeper blue than picture shows

Last edited:

astn_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technical info
- Sony A7III
- Tamron 28-75mm F2.8
- f/2.8 | 1/400 | ISO 400

This Jason Fox Fruity Pebbles Monti was chosen because it's my newest coral and i'm already in love with the color its making. The bright blues complimented by red, orange and yellows create such a perfect contrast in my tank.

The decision to choose a macro composition was solely based off the textures of it's skin and it just wouldn't have gotten its justice with all the gradients in color had I taken it any other way.

My favorite parts of the image were the ability to capture all the bokeh as beautifully as it looks as well as catching an edge of my other frag giving it just enough leading lines and not making the image feel too flat.

DSC02310.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back