0   0   0
pologo_zps1d6afd51.jpg

Project Oceanology Trip

Oceanographic Research Cruise

July 19th, 2014
10:00am
1084 Shennecossett Road
Groton, CT

During this 2 1/2 hour cruise on Long Island Sound participants will experience marine science at 2 stations on the boat.
STERN: Explore the biological aspects of oceanography by pulling a trawl net, a plankton net and examining its contents under the guidance of professional marine scientists.
BOW: Operate instruments and equipment used to study the physical, chemical and geological aspects of oceanography.
Participants will also explore the basic chemistry of seawater.

This trip gets better...really, it does!

Christine Williams will be joining us as a guest speaker!

WilliamsChristine_bio_pics_zpsd5e267ab.jpg

Christine Williams started keeping fish while she was still a fetus. While the aqueous environment did lend itself to the hobby, it limited her to freshwater species, and so she decided to be born several weeks early. Through sign language she demanded that her parents convert her crib into a reef aquarium and thus started her illustrious career in marine ornamentals. After completing her studies in biochemistry and molecular microbiology she went to work at "Animal ER" where unfortunately she was not filmed for the Animal Planet channel (though her feet did make a cameo during a rescue segment). Currently she is the head of the Industrial Marine Microbiology team for her division of a "very large international chemical company," where she spends her days mixing chemicals, microorganisms and algae together and seeing if they will A) explode, B) glow in the dark, or C) make a good salsa. In order to further her skills (though not her cooking) she is also a graduate student at Stony Brook University's School of Marine and Atmospheric Science.

The boat will have limited space of 50 people so, sign up right away!

You MUST pre-pay!
The cost for CTARS members is $15.00
The cost for non-members is $35.00
You can pre-pay NOW by PayPal. All the information can be found on our website!

1965569_10152105206413191_405565438_o_zps975410db.jpg

CHECK LIST
deck shoes
sweatshirt or windbreaker
sunscreen
camera
motion sickness antidote if necessary​

Last edited:

firstlight10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent trip idea! Project O is always a good time. Bring binoculars if you have them.
In July we occasionally get visitors to the area such as sunfish (mola- mola), dolphins, and sea turtles in the area they will be going to.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back